Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bay Mills Indian Community 19th Annual Honoring Our Veterans Competition Pow Wow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting

I personally feel that each singer works to gain respect from other's singers. Along they way comes the integrity of the singer which has also been building.

Next into play would be this singer being asked to run a singing contest. Now, this singer has his own integrity as well as the integrity of the pow-wow committee he is being asked to do the work/perform that task of headsinger.

Regardless of what drum groups show's up whether it's drum group(s) the Head Singing Judge is either acquainted with or sometimes a solid member of a particular group. The job at hand is to run the singing contest to the specifications of the pow-wow, check all ballots before turning them over to the pow-wow committee for any "discrepancies". If discprepancies exists then they need to be dealt with immediately in order to run a fair contest while being firm, yet fair....And, making sure the pow-wow committee is informed and involved at all times.

Pretty simple right? Again, just MY views here....

In this case, I see your point. By having an impartial judge makes sense...

Thanks for chiming in Biz.......

n8v_singer 4_life

Originally posted by BizDawg View Post
    OK, I'll play along Singer...

What about the opposite of the intended purpose happening? Say the head drum judge is a well known singer and sings with a number of drums, but it is kinda obvious who his bros are... then what? Does it discourage other drums from coming?

I don't know if that happens, so I'm asking. Maybe a having a knowledgeable person not necessarily known as a singer makes it more impartial... thoughts?
    "....remember that one song that one time?......"

Comment

So, what you are saying, N8tv singer, is that all it takes to be a fair drum judge is to adhere to the committee's specification for balloting and judging? Thats sound pretty simple to do, no doubt anybody with common sense and pow wow sense (note, they are not one in the same lol), can do a head singing job.
      I am thankful for my grandparents, my parents, my brothers, my aunties and uncles, my children, my companion and all of those who influenced me to be strong and proud of being who I am and where I come from. Knowledge is power

Comment

On the other hand....

Originally posted by sltate View Post
        So, what you are saying, N8tv singer, is that all it takes to be a fair drum judge is to adhere to the committee's specification for balloting and judging? Thats sound pretty simple to do, no doubt anybody with common sense and pow wow sense (note, they are not one in the same lol), can do a head singing job.
        I'm saying a person's integrity and respect can make or break them. We've all been witness to lop-sided, unfair, unprofessional, disrespectable, and unbelievable, outcomes to some singing and dance contest's since competition changed pow-wow'ing forever. Haven't we???

Here's a hint, if any of the head judges are gone before the winner's are announced. It is very possible something is going or has gone on....

I still feel a person has to have a very high knowledge to be either a head singing or dance judge.

Was just seeing what other people's thoughts were.....
        "....remember that one song that one time?......"

Comment

Originally posted by BizDawg View Post
          Say the head drum judge is a well known singer and sings with a number of drums, but it is kinda obvious who his bros are... then what? Does it discourage other drums from coming?

Biz,

This is really valid and happens quite frequently. Anybody who sings competitively, knows who sings with who. With this inside knowledge it seems unfair when the head drum judge is in charge when his drum(s) are competing.

I have personally seen a head drum judge on a poster and knew in advance that the drum he sings with would place high.... his drum won.
          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X