"smoked" dance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "smoked" dance?

what is your thoughts on drug use at powwows? We all know it happens! A LOT of powwow people indulge in drug use at and during powwows but we all look the other way and bury our heads in the sand. Stoned dancers and drummers is all right? and why do you tolerate it, or oppose it?

You should move from Oregon. For as many years that I have been going to powwows, I have yet to see someone smoking a joint or drinking a beer in my presence.
    Wanjica Infinity No One

Comment

Yes, such things happen: I've seen it even in those places that pretend to be Native Mecca. That said, it is nearly universally nowhere near the arena or -- especially drugs -- indulged in by those actively participating until after obligations are completed.

1. Powwows are not some sort of ceremony.
      2. If Head Staff, or anyone else, wants a beer after the dance, I don't care.
      3. Be head straight and sober when you enter the arena the next day.

The key is whether you are competent to fulfill your obligation and not whether there is some societal ill to be found in having a beer on your own time.

Illicit pharmaceuticals I shall make no comment on as legality [lack of] makes obvious their place.
      Last edited by Zeke; 02-28-2012, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeakingOwl View Post
        what is your thoughts on drug use at powwows? We all know it happens! A LOT of powwow people indulge in drug use at and during powwows but we all look the other way and bury our heads in the sand. Stoned dancers and drummers is all right? and why do you tolerate it, or oppose it?
        I really dislike posts that over use the accusatory "you".

I'm not sure who all these :we: you are referring to in your post are either. Here's the thing, if one does not like what is occurring in front of them then pony up and say something to the person who is offending you. People do what they do because they a) assume they can b) think they can c) are never challenged.

So if it's happening in places that you are attending then volunteer to help security and the AD and do something about starting with yourself.

Just keep in mind that a fair number of pow wows are held at the same time and in the same area as Indian rodeos... those guys are often seen having a beer with their pow wowing relatives around the trailers at night... I hear the beer farts in the morning make the broncs buck higher and the wagon teams run faster to escape them.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Comment

Originally posted by yaahl View Post
          Just keep in mind that a fair number of pow wows are held at the same time and in the same area as Indian rodeos... those guys are often seen having a beer with their pow wowing relatives around the trailers at night... I hear the beer farts in the morning make the broncs buck higher and the wagon teams run faster to escape them.

http://www.nancarodeo.org/id1.html
          Don't forget the junkcar derbies and the softball tournaments.
          Wanjica Infinity No One

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.