Northern NDNs on Oklahoma northern drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern NDNs on Oklahoma northern drums

Hey does anybody, especially in the North country, have a certain attitude towards oklahoma drum groups that sing northern, or even northern attitudes towards oklahoma southern singers who can blast northern?

I ask this because early on, i grew up singing w/ my grandpa Evans Ray satepauhoodle, who brought me around the drum for the first time, and he taught me a few traditional Kiowa songs. He always told me to stay away from Northern singing, even though i really wanted to learn how to sing that high. Then my uncle Tony Arkeketa brought me in w/ Redland Singers, which was my first taste of singing northern when i was about 9 or 10. Some may notice how Oklahoma ndns talk, carry ourselves, do certain hand gestures, and say phrases like "Haw, thats keen!!" and so on. I grew up around that Southern vibe, and now i sing w/ a northern drum and we're traveling a lot more (and because up until now, after singing in Minnesota & at Denver March, ive never really been to powwows outside of oklahoma), and i love traveling everywhere and bringing tha songs to tha people, i kinda become a fish outta water. Any opinions from some Northerners??
    Last edited by YBHMETALHEAD; 04-19-2013, 11:35 AM.
    Mama said don't play w/ matches...she never said anything about lighters ;)

no offense sir but why ask people what they think if your just going to do whatever anyways....you siad your grandpa said stay away from northern singing, but anyways just my thought fromreading your post

Comment

Originally posted by running_with_buffs View Post
      no offense sir but why ask people what they think if your just going to do whatever anyways....you siad your grandpa said stay away from northern singing, but anyways just my thought fromreading your post
      Well, I know sometimes that there's animosity towards powwow people & I was just curious what some northern folks' opinions are. Plus, early on, I was taught to go against northern singing, but after singing w/ my uncle Tony I lost all bad feelings about singing northern.
      Mama said don't play w/ matches...she never said anything about lighters ;)

Comment

Kiowa - reminds me - it was a online Kiowa friend who tought me how to program my own little homepage in html - I hope he's doing well.

Comment

I see no problem.
          Wanjica Infinity No One

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.