Whats the true story of Southern and Northern Singing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the true story of Southern and Northern Singing

Dose anyone know the true story of how northern and southern singing came along like why northern singers sing high and why southern sing low?

Originally posted by HOKAHEYGUY
    Dose anyone know the true story of how northern and southern singing came along like why northern singers sing high and why southern sing low?
    ____

HOKA:

It wasn't always this way.

By listening to old recordings (cylinder and reel-to-reel) of both northern and southern singers - many nothern singers did not sing as high as they do today. Whereas many southern singers also had a different style and many actually sang higher than they do today. So both were more closer in vocal range in days of the past.

Many northern ceremonies are sung in a lower vocal range, even today.

Go figure?

But then again, we are heading to a point where southern powwow singers are beginning to "sky" their voices, while northern powwow singers are beginning to sing southern songs.

Go figure?
    Last edited by WhoMe; 05-14-2004, 09:42 AM.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

That is mad so true, I sing southern, and alot of our songs are really beginning to hit some high points, and I know of a few northern drums that actually sing a southern song or two.
      But it is all good...

Comment

I sing southern....when those guys start singing high I can't hang voice begins to crack.my voice is too deep I guess.
        give good sing hard and try not to fart infront a fine flat butt babe!

Comment

I started out singing Northern back in 1995. I enjoyed but then the songs started getting waaaaayyyyyy too high. Then I switched to Southern and really got a kick out of that but some of those songs started getting a little too high. Now, I'm singing with another Northern group that sings some Southern sings.

To be honest, I really love singing both. What the heck, I just love to drum and sing.
          Through the good times and bad times, always pray.

Comment

Ouu! Ouu! Ouu! I Know I Know.......

See............................................... .........

THIS ONE TIME @ BAND CAMP............
            "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Originally posted by Coyot_In_The_House
              See............................................... .........

THIS ONE TIME @ BAND CAMP............

..... and the Band Camp Bandit has struck again!!! :Chatter :Chatter

Comment

Originally posted by DANCINGEAGLE
                I started out singing Northern back in 1995. I enjoyed but then the songs started getting waaaaayyyyyy too high. Then I switched to Southern and really got a kick out of that but some of those songs started getting a little too high. Now, I'm singing with another Northern group that sings some Southern sings.

To be honest, I really love singing both. What the heck, I just love to drum and sing.
                must be bi
                give good sing hard and try not to fart infront a fine flat butt babe!

Comment

I made this lil' joke up, no hatin' just smilin...

...Southern guys sing low cause when they first started singing for the first time ever they were trying to copy the Northern Style, but they had to sing 'slow and low' so as to not really mess it up and they had a very hard time with the Down Beats so they only do it Three times as to not mess it up....ayyyeeeee don't be hatin' on me now, it's just a funny lil' origin story!!!!
                  ...jus put on Mandareeeee....

Comment

Originally posted by T. Jude Fox
                    I made this lil' joke up, no hatin' just smilin...

...Southern guys sing low cause when they first started singing for the first time ever they were trying to copy the Northern Style, but they had to sing 'slow and low' so as to not really mess it up and they had a very hard time with the Down Beats so they only do it Three times as to not mess it up....ayyyeeeee don't be hatin' on me now, it's just a funny lil' origin story!!!!
                    OK, since this is just a joke. Lets turn it around.....

Northern guys sing high cause when they first started singing for teh first time ever they were trying to copy the Southern Style, but they had to sing 'high and fast' so as to not really mess it up and they had a very hard time with Down Beats so they did it a lot of times to get it right......

This is also just a joke......ayyyeeeee

Comment

lol, gooot one *laughs* I'm not from the waaay north, so yeah well we don't sing that high, we're the one's in the middle of everything and coincidentally we sing uhhh "medium" ??? ha, I'm talkin' bout the Dakotas/Montana & Minnesota, but mainly No. Dak. *thinking* yeah huh, but my bro Jon Brady went southern on us with Youngbird way back in the early 90's and well I've dug'em all since.

The drums I sing with here in New Mexico sure flop back and forth and that's fun, especially since I got over my "I don't have the rights to sing southern" excuse. So well, we only did it to get more contest songs!!! Ayeee, Hutchaaawwww!!
                      Last edited by T. Jude Fox; 08-15-2004, 07:18 PM.
                      ...jus put on Mandareeeee....

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
                        ____

while northern powwow singers are beginning to sing southern songs.
                        EW! That is sooooooo not right!!!!
                        "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Originally posted by T. Jude Fox
                          hahahaha... hey i heard the same story!... this is true!:p

the sutherners sing low cause it was a buncha old men who couldnt' hit the high notes when tryin' to learn the northern songs ... so when they relayed the songs it came out "low & slow"... and if you listen... the songs are similar... hehehe
                          "i don't like to walk fast man - i like to strut!"

Comment

Northern and Southern

Whadd up? Well, I am just replying to this thread becuz like so many I myself started singing northern but then went to southern singing. When I started it was in tha time of tha early eighties. When I first started singing there was no comparisons between northern and southern. There was no catergory for these two singing styles. I started to sing as a northern singer but we was not singing "High Tone" We sang in a "Low Tone". Through my many years of on and off again singing. I started to love tha way northern singing was going. I first started to know a difference in my singing style when my BOY started his southern drum group. When they started I was singing northern on a northern drum. When I first started to sing southern it was at the Annual Chicago Pow Wow. On tha second day, we started to sing our first intertribal song as a group and we got whistled. Tha whistler since that day, did not blow his whistle anywhere before. Our first song on tha second day was whistled. We was very surprised and happy that a whsitled blessed our drum on our first song. WEll, Since that day, I have been singing southern with this drum group. It is not becuz of being whistled. It is becuz of tha LOVE of singing. I sing with my heart. I sing for those who can't sing or can't. It is going on four years since that year when we got whistled. We are still going on strong. Well, there is no point. I just wanted to share my own histroy on this thread.

Comment

What is the true story of N. vs. S. Singing? Heck. No one knows for sure, 'cept our great, great ancestor's hair stylest!

__

Anywayz, heres my version. . .

Seems there was this little boy born somewheres north of the Arctic Circle near Taktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories. As soon as this little boy learned to walk, his family moved them south after seeing the movie "The Day After" - to Yellow Knife, Northwest Territories.

It was while he was living in Yellow Knife that a group of Cree came up from Saskatchewan, on a cultural exchange and exposed the young boy to Powwow singing. The fatherof the young boy decided to quit his job and become a roady for this small time Cree drum - hauling their sound equipment, patching up their moose hide drum and keeping all their female fans back when they sung, and such.

Well one day one of the singers got thrown in jail for not paying his back child support. Thus they needed a singer to replace him. The mother auditioned and sang tooooo high! The father auditioned and sang toooooo low. So the little boy's voice still had not changed . . . and he sang just about right!

So together with the little boy, this small time Cree drum travelled far and wide and eventually landed at a powwow in North Dakota. By that time the little boy became the third lead in all of their powwow songs. He became a very good singer and all the little girls wanted to take him home and so did their mothers. But that's a whole 'nother story. . .

anyways

while on the powwow circuit, one year at Denver March Powwow, his voice began to change. He could still sing high part of the time but, was going through a metamorphises. More and more his voice began to crack when he did his third lead.

The small time Cree drum became very angry as the cracking of the boy's voice, changed their sound. So they gave the little boy a bus ticket, 20 American Dollars, a sack full of bannock and bid farewell to the little boy in Denver.

An Indian family with a bunch of kids saw his sack full of bannock and asked him if he would like to go with them back to Oklahoma. The little boy accepted and gave all his bannock away in return.

The little boy grew into his voice and sang baritone both in a popular southern drum and a modern church choir. He eventually married a Cherokee princess and more Cherokee princesses were born.

However, he had a longing for moving farther south as he aged.

From what I figure,

he must be somewheres deep in Mexico by now . . .

teachin' the Mexicans how to powwow. :mickey2: :indian1:
                              Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.