Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm new to the powwow and have started my journey. Please advise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new to the powwow and have started my journey. Please advise.

I have just stepped back onto the journey that I began almost twenty years ago. I am attending my first gathering of Storytellers and will in the spring attend my first Powwow ever. For a wedding gift I received a choker from my husband and would like to wear it to the gathering of Storytellers, but as the choker has red in it and a bear(all made of animal bones, which the ladies who sold it to me assured me that they weren't bones of animals that would offend any nation), I have been told that the Cherokee consider red as a bad color. I don't want to offend anyone and since this will be the first step on the next leg of my journey I don't want any bad omens right out of the gate. I'm pretty superstitous my self.
    Life is an adventure enjoy it. :flyaway: :35: :sunny!: :flowers:

I'm confused. What journey is it that you are on and how does pow-wow, storytelling and/or tradition relate?
    Damme ape’semmai, "Andabichidaiboonee’ gimmadu’i.Wihyu memme hainjinee’ nahandu’i. Enne wizha sudei’ tsaangu mabizhiahkande," mai.

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

Comment

I have resumed my lifes' journey(as I refer to it). I don't know how else to explain it. I have undergone two instances that were large turning points in my life which have set me on this course. The first one was when I was 13 and had an out of body experience where I went to the other side and was told to return to my body that I had many people to help back on the other side. I returned and with the new sense of purpose set out to help the people that needed me to help them. Then recently after going to a quack(that would be a doctor) he did surgery on me and out of spite caused my body great trauma. I hemorrhaged for seven days and again during this time of not being able to move around the visions came and I now feel a pull to go in certain directions and reach out to certain people. I don't know who they are until I feel them coming toward me and then I just know who they are, but sometimes when I get this feeling of drawing people to me I don't understand what it is that I need to do for them. This is the second leg of my journey so to speak. I was told by my grandmother(who has passed to the other side), when she was alive, that in the ancestors past we have Cherokee and Choctaw. I don't have an understanding of my heritage and as part of my journey, to understand the visions that I have, need to have someone that is more knowledgeable about these things to help me along the way. I don't want to insult or offend anyone, in ignorance, by doing something that would make the people who can help me along my journey think that I'm not a person that they would help. I have had visions throughout my life since I was 13 and they are now becoming a part of my daily and nightly life.

I thank you for asking the question because I'm not good with words, but can usually show or give visuals on what I am trying to explain.

Comment

Originally posted by curiousity
        I returned and with the new sense of purpose set out to help the people that needed me to help them.

and I now feel a pull to go in certain directions and reach out to certain people. I don't know who they are until I feel them coming toward me and then I just know who they are, but sometimes when I get this feeling of drawing people to me I don't understand what it is that I need to do for them. This is the second leg of my journey so to speak. I was told by my grandmother(who has passed to the other side), when she was alive, that in the ancestors past we have Cherokee and Choctaw. I don't have an understanding of my heritage and as part of my journey, to understand the visions that I have, need to have someone that is more knowledgeable about these things to help me along the way. I don't want to insult or offend anyone, in ignorance, by doing something that would make the people who can help me along my journey think that I'm not a person that they would help. I have had visions throughout my life since I was 13 and they are now becoming a part of my daily and nightly life.
        I'm quoting only an excerpt of your full post as I want to draw your attention to it.

First let me say that I'm happy for you that your life on this Earth was allowed to continue - I hope that your body is healing and gaining strength.

I see that you feel there is a higher purpose for your life - but you're not sure how to fulfill it.

My own experience has been to carry on in life learning how to be the best me I can be - to take care of myself emotionally, mentally, physically and to nurture my spirit.

All this takes time and much patience. When you heal yourself on all levels then maybe the work you feel you need to do with others will become visible to you and you will begin learning.

I would caution you on one thing that I notice in your posts. You sound as though you follow a new agey path - new age and NDN isn't the same thing. Being new to all this, you must be cautious of who you choose to involve yourself with.

Comment

Storeytellers convention? Cool. Where is it?

Comment

Singing Eagle - I'm not new age but it did sound a little that way. I am not very good with descriptions. I'm healing mind, body and soul. The event with the surgery has happened over the past three weeks. I apologize if it sounded new agey or worse yet even bitter. It has taken me the past three weeks to awaken to the signs that I stepped off my path and I'm being told to walk that path again. Picking the people whom I trust is done very much by the feelings that I draw off people. Thank you for your advise and I will head the warning therein about who I choose to go to and follow.

Kiwehnzii - the gathering of Storytellers is in Killeen, Tx this wknd and starts at 10 am. There will be Native American Artists present in the gallery to sign their art work. As well as there are five Storytellers. Two of which are guests. Hopefully you'll be able to come. I spoke with Doll A. and she told me how to get there.

Comment

What're their names?
              Is one named Tara? She can really spin a yarn.

Tell us more.

Comment

When I spoke w/Doll last wk she didn't tell me the names of the Storytellers that were attending. She did say that 2 were people that had done a lot of the Gatherings and 3 were guests. Viva Les Arts(art center) 254-526-9090 is where it will be held. There will also be Native American Artists w/their paintings so that should you want one signed they will be there. Doll A. is the person who is in charge of the Gathering.

I just found out the names just now. William Harjo - Creek, Alex Santos - Arawak, Randi Attocknie Santos - Comanchie/Kiowa. These are the guest Storytellers. Phil Stucker and Doll Alexander are the Four Winds Storytellers.
                Last edited by curiousity; 11-16-2004, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curiousity
                  I just found out the names just now. , Alex Santos - Arawak, .
                  __

curious.

Al Santos?

Ask him to tell you the story about the time he went to Schemitzun and sang with another drum group. . . and didn't get paid. *L

__

oh, and about the red being bad luck to Cherokees . . .

I have known many Cherokee princesses who have worn bright red lipstick, red finger and red toe polish!

While in Killeen,

You gotta try the China Star buffet. It is "world class."
                  Last edited by WhoMe; 11-17-2004, 03:28 PM.
                  Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

I appreciate the feed back on the color red.

My choker is very beautiful, not only because my husband gave it to me. But because of the symbolism.

I have been looking at the photo galleries and all the beautiful people in different places doing different things. The beadwork and regalia are beautiful.

This choker is red and white with a bear hanging off the choker. It is my pride and joy. The Indian Maidens who designed it were very talented. How do they cure the hide not to deteriorate and the bones not to discolor? I'm very curious.

I promised my friend a very special lunch at "Panchos". She lives a long way from where I do but when I need here she never fails me and that is a two way street, so to speak. She is the only lifelong friend that I have. We have connection on a higher level as well.

Comment

Those "Indian Maidens" who designed your choker must have such talented & delicate hands. Those with little tiny hands make the most exquisite artwork.

Could you post a picture of it?

Comment

Kiwehnzii, you are so artful, yourself! :rofl2:
                        Damme ape’semmai, "Andabichidaiboonee’ gimmadu’i.Wihyu memme hainjinee’ nahandu’i. Enne wizha sudei’ tsaangu mabizhiahkande," mai.

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

Comment

curious,

I have been Sleepless in Seattle for several nights now, pondering my own "journey."

I have decided that I will begin my journey next week. . .

Do I need a choker?

Where can I meet you and your friend "in the higher level" once I get there?
                          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

:violin: Just a couple of more Sandwiches and we'd have a Picnic.....
                            "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Well, Mr. Sleepless in Seattle for the past couple nights going on ur own journey. U should follow the straitest path.
                              You can look for the choker and a red shirt and blue/black pants. lmao. Doll will be able to tell you who I am. I will try to post a pic. Remember that event is this wknd.

Thx coyot in the house. I'm sure there will be more sandwiches. lol.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.