Scalp Dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalp Dance

I was looking through the videos yesterday and came across a scalp dance video. Can anyohe explain this to me? Tribal origin etc....

Originally posted by paintedsun22
    I was looking through the videos yesterday and came across a scalp dance video. Can anyohe explain this to me? Tribal origin etc....
    The danger of explaining any dance in depth is the likelyhood of imitation and the mockery such imitation of our dance would be to us who hold it in such high regard.

Look at the mockery that imitation has make of the Objiwe's Jingle Dress dance.

I see the same happening to our Gourd Dance.

The folks who dance the Scalp Dance know why they are dancing. The spectator answer would simply be; to welcome their warriors home, and display the war trophies.
    Scott Zotigh
    Kiowa Black Leggings
    Kiowa Gourd Clan
    Kiowa Tiah Piah
    Kiowa Marine Veterans
    American Indian Veterans

Comment

so if I wanted any more of an answer I would have to ask an elder and let him/her decide if they wanted to explain?

also, what tribe did this dance orignate from?

Comment

The Spokanes and Couer d' Alenes and I believe the Flathead had a scalp dance of their own.
        Abs of Frybread and Buns of Commodity Cheese

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• WhoMe
          Is straight dance a "war dance?"
          by WhoMe
          I was looking at articles worn by straight dancers. Several of the articles worn have symbolism worn by ancient warriors.

Starting from the roach, roach feather, turban, turban plume, bear claw necklace, otter drag, bandoliers, quirt, cane whistle.... even designs, are all related to...
          12-16-2004, 06:45 PM
        • powwow_twinkle
          question on buffalo dance
          by powwow_twinkle
          i've been to several gourd dances and very few of them have the buffalo dance. what is this? how do you dance to this?
          03-25-2005, 06:19 PM
        • Cherry Creek Woman
          Dance Steps
          by Cherry Creek Woman
          :49:
          Please, can you help me, again.

I have only been dancing about two years. When I first begin
          I was told, your steps are first the ball of your foot, then
          the heel.
          I thought, I had gotten this down, pretty good.
          I loved the few grand entries,...
          05-25-2002, 12:24 AM
        • CHEROSAGE
          Who has a dance coming up?
          by CHEROSAGE
          Any dances coming up soon? Tell us of your next dance and maybe we can go dance together.

My next dance I know of is in March at the Univ. of MO.. I was asked to help the committee as their A.D.. I was told it will be a contest dance. (I do know of some stomp dances as well.)
          11-30-2004, 02:36 AM
        • Montauk Whitethunder
          Eastern War Dance
          by Montauk Whitethunder
          I am from western Canada, and I would like information on the Eastern War Dance? My family are Montaukett, but have no experience with eastern culture. Can someone fill me in on the Eastern War Dance?????
          1. What is the required regalia?
          2. What is the dance judged by?
          3. Does...
          03-26-2010, 07:00 AM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X