Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you apply paint for powwows face paint..etc???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you apply paint for powwows face paint..etc???

do you adorn yourself with face paint for powwows/ dancing???
    Men and Women, i want to know what everybody thinks!!!

I don't personally do that, put paint or decoration on my face for powwows. Just personal preferance thats all ;)

Comment

Yeah. I like to draw a white line or red line on the side of my eyes. Nothing big or fancy.
      The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

it's tradish that the ladies of my fam wear red triangles by the side of our eyes
        the guys of our fam also wear red triangles...but they have much more paint and detail than us ladies...
        i always like to watch the men get painted and to hear the story behind our family paint..it's interesting and makes me feel good that we still keep that tradish goin'...
        "i don't like to walk fast man - i like to strut!"

Comment

I have atthe last powwow i went to in peroia illnois, but that was after i had a chance to meet msot of the poeple there and i knew it owuldint offend anyone(becasue im not ndn) but otherwise i dont.
          "Be what you is, not what you ain't, 'cause when you is what you ain't,then you ain't what you is."

"remember an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth! that wayt the whole world will be blind and toothles!

Comment

not face... hair!

I love the look, but don't feel right doing it cuz in my research my tribe (cherokee) has no record of female face paint (if you know different, tell me where to find!)... but i like to have *something* besides barretes and jewelry on my head (lots of ppl in texas have eye paint and several grass dancers have full-face)!

I found that for fall dances 'way back when' my peeps would paint their hair yellow and red (to represent corn)... they used ochre and animal grease-- i use brush in hair color from a costume shop; color is intense at the part and blends into my natural dark brown color by chin (my hair is waist-length)... i like the look, it's "something different" and i've had no comments negative or positive on it, so i suppose no one really notices (guess it doesn't help that i'm taller than most of the ndn ladies in my area- just 5'8" plus shoes!)

-D
            I am me, and that's all i can be;
            no more, no less.

Comment

paint

as for me i know i do apply paint. especially if im dancing traditional!!!:)

Comment

Re: not face... hair!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by piperchick
                [B]I love the look, but don't feel right doing it cuz in my research my tribe (cherokee) has no record of female face paint (if you know different, tell me where to find!)...

i've never heard of a tribe that didnt paint, male or female, ...you should ask some of the cherokee tribal members about it though just to be sure.

Comment

sorry if i wasn't too clear; cherokee guys did a lot, but females rarely... i've never seen any cherokee females w/ paint to ask (nor have i seen photos or writings describing painted women), and i am fairly new to the arena; i'm going on history and helpful ppl; i'm far away from clan elders and family elders died en-masse last august.

-d
                  I am me, and that's all i can be;
                  no more, no less.

Comment

Sometimes I wear an occasional line or set of dots by my eyes, but I love it when men put cool designs on their faces! :2:
                    I like to wear glitter too, on my eye lids and in my hair, adds a little sumthin...

Comment

Does make-up count?:Angel: cause if it does then yah i wear paint....;)
                      Originally posted by out_snaggin
                      Sometimes I wear an occasional line or set of dots by my eyes, but I love it when men put cool designs on their faces! :2:
                      I like to wear glitter too, on my eye lids and in my hair, adds a little sumthin...

Comment

never do...if i did i would wind up scratching my face
                        during the whole entire powwow...holloween when i was little girl i was wonder woman(dont laugh people) my momma put paint on my face and i totally started to break out...after that i said no more..i think i would be too afraid of messing up my complexion...

Comment

I wear it at ceremony and will occassionally wear it for a p-w. It's a design my Grandma and Aunties gave us when we reunited with our sisters. It' four markings in two rows coming to a point at the end where the four of our paths met. It's to depict the markings of a rattlesnake, the representation of my mother's people.
                          "Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those doing it."

~ Ah nech me hewet ~ :49:

Comment

NO SORT OF PAINT FOR ME. BUT I HAVE SEEN SOME REALLY NICE DESIGNS OUT THERE IN NDN COUNTRY. THAT IS COOL THAT YOUR FAMILY GAVE YOU THAT DESIGN FOR YOU AND YOUR SISTERS RUNNERZ. I HAVE ONLY SEEN ONE WOMAN WEAR A FULL FOREHEAD OF RED PAINT AND TWO WHITE LINES FROM UNDER HER EYES TO JAW LINE. OTHER THAN THAT IT'S BASICALLY BY THEIR EYES. THE MEN PLENTY OF MAKE UP.
                            "Never be bullied into silence.
                            Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Comment

I've never worn face paint but I think I might this summer - if I ever get finished making these damn repairs on my outfit!! I think i looks really good on men if they do it right and don't get too carried away :p

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.