Optin Monster

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what kinda dress for my 2yrs navajo girl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kinda dress for my 2yrs navajo girl?

My daughter is 2 years old and has shown a great interest in Pow wow's. I have taken her to a few and she just loves it. I have been asked to bring her out, but I want to bring her out wearing a dress and regalia. I dont know what to make for her.And I wouldnt want it to come out like some clown from the village people.
    I am chumash(santa barbara,ca) but her mother is full blood navajo(Nageeze,NM). I would think it apropreate to dress her in some navajo dress since her mother is full blood.Unfortunately the mother knows nothing of her heritage. I am looking for suggestions on where to turn to in indentifying the type of dress there is. I have read a few things on this site and also found that the type of dance is important so any suggestions would be very apreciatative.

Thanks!

Defthong

What ever style of dance clothes you make for ...try to keep it simple because she will outgrow it by next season, if not later this one. Children do not need excessively elaborate outfits. Besides outgrowing clothes faster than you can make them, they are very hard on them too ... usually. You might ask for her input...at the next dance ask her which of the dancers she likes best. More than likely it will be another child and this might help give you a direction to go in.

Hope that helps

PS. There was a thread in crafts a while back that discussed making dance clothes for kids and getting the most use out of them. I believe it is in the archive now so you might do a search for it there.
    PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

I think I might have an Navajo skirt and vest of purple crush velvet....might have giving it away already...but I'll check, If i still have it I'll send it you. It was my daughter when she was 3. My ex-husband auntie made it for her. I am Chumash too ...funny I thought my kid was the only Navajo/Chumash. I'll go home and see if I have t and I'll PM you more about it later.

Comment

thank you all for your help it was worth it to post here at this site! :)

Comment

Haver her learn your ways both you. Chumach and Navajo its important for her so she don't be missing like you.

Comment

THATS A GOOD IDEA THAT YOU START HER OUT YOUNG. JUST KEEP IT UP THROUGH ALL HER YEARS. YOU CAN ALL LEARN YOUR WAYS TOGETHER IN FACT.
            "Never be bullied into silence.
            Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Comment

Originally posted by ndnkidz_5
              I think I might have an Navajo skirt and vest of purple crush velvet....might have giving it away already...but I'll check, If i still have it I'll send it you. It was my daughter when she was 3. My ex-husband auntie made it for her. I am Chumash too ...funny I thought my kid was the only Navajo/Chumash. I'll go home and see if I have t and I'll PM you more about it later.
              NDNKIDZ_5 you are so sweet! I remember little "Looch" in that outfit....cute....oh the good old days....:) So when are we going to the Dolphin Dance? ;)
              "Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those doing it."

~ Ah nech me hewet ~ :49:

Comment

pleasently happy

I really dig this place...feel so ...whats the word......

at home. :)

Comment

I have a 5year old Navajo Daughter now....

Hello, I just started or have been taking care of my 5 year old neice for 3 years now. Her mother would rather chase boys then take care of her own dauther. Her mother is my sister and we are half Navajo but the daughter is more Navajo then we are because of her father. I want her to have an outfit but am too poor to get her one. But I was thinking of making her one but don't know how too, can anyone help me?? I don't know what kind to give or make her. I'm the youngest out of the kids and taking care of my neice have been a real experiance and my own mother denies her cultural and heritage. I just want that for my neice and would very much like to get her an outfit but don't know what?? Would you please help me out in figuring out how to make one or what?? Thank you very much, I really do appreciate it.

Comment

i agree to the idea of keepign the outfit simple, and also keeping it comfy too. kids grow like weeds, so don't do anything elaborate. i think the simpler the better, some kids love one style this year, next year they want another style. also durt factor. my nieces and nephews are always getting into everything.
                    Bahnisiain

Comment

Defthong,

In addition to what pwbum suggested. . .

It would be great to bring your 2yr old in the dance circle in their own traditional cloths. There are plenty of Navaho and Chumash people where you live (Santa Barbara/Santa Ynez area?) Some of them even attend powwows pretty regularly.
                      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoogie
                        Hello, I just started or have been taking care of my 5 year old neice for 3 years now. Her mother would rather chase boys then take care of her own dauther. Her mother is my sister and we are half Navajo but the daughter is more Navajo then we are because of her father. I want her to have an outfit but am too poor to get her one. But I was thinking of making her one but don't know how too, can anyone help me?? I don't know what kind to give or make her. I'm the youngest out of the kids and taking care of my neice have been a real experiance and my own mother denies her cultural and heritage. I just want that for my neice and would very much like to get her an outfit but don't know what?? Would you please help me out in figuring out how to make one or what?? Thank you very much, I really do appreciate it.
                        Heya I have an outfit it's only the top and skirt the top is a cape and the colors are light blue and white i got it when i was really little and it traditional if my mom will let me i could maybe mail it to you i was going to sell it to buy stuff for my regaila but i learned my heritage on my own my dad doesn't really talk about it and my moms is mostly white so yeah if i can i will and if you think she'll like it PM me and i'll ask my mom i'd rather give it to a little girl so she can dance and be like all the other little girls and learn about who she is then to be selfish i mean i know i don't have a fan,shawl,and mocs to give her but it's a start a shawl is pretty easy to make i'm making one now for my regaila and fans arn't that hard and heck i danced in street shoes till my pawpaws mocs were handed down to me well PM me
                        WHO I AM

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X