Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning to dance..

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Learning to dance..

    Hi:)

    I was wondering how you learn to dance? I mean, besides going to powwows and living on a res and stuff. I have nothing like that around me, but I would like to learn.
    Thanks:)
    THIS IS OUR LAND!!

  • #2
    the best way to learn to dance is by going to pow wows, living on a rez and stuff
    I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Wojapi4Me View Post
      the best way to learn to dance is by going to pow wows, living on a rez and stuff
      Yes Really
      lol
      ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
      Till I Die!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Wojapi4Me View Post
        the best way to learn to dance is by going to pow wows, living on a rez and stuff
        Haha, well, wouldn't you know it? Duh:) lol

        No but uh...any other sugestions? I didn't know if there was like a vedio to teach you the steps or what:)
        Thanks
        THIS IS OUR LAND!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Yes there are videos you can get for each style of dancing. However I found by watching the dancers and talking to different people at the Pow wows is the best way to learn.
          ClothDancer02

          Comment


          • #6
            Please, please please, dont think that you have to live on a rez to learn to dance...That has nothing to do with it! I grew up on the rez and learned to dance, but I also have friends who grew up in the city who have learned to dance too. If exposed to it, you will learn. Whatever your style of learning may be, use it to your advantage. Perhaps you learn visually, maybe you learn by what others tell you, whatever your style-use it! That's the best advise I could give. Oh yeah, there may be a group that practices somewhere, join em! Fortunately, there is such a group in my city and that is where I take my children during the winter to practice...During the summer it's SHOW TIME! We go to pow-wows and give er nails!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cree_thang View Post
              Please, please please, dont think that you have to live on a rez to learn to dance...That has nothing to do with it! I grew up on the rez and learned to dance, but I also have friends who grew up in the city who have learned to dance too. If exposed to it, you will learn. Whatever your style of learning may be, use it to your advantage. Perhaps you learn visually, maybe you learn by what others tell you, whatever your style-use it! That's the best advise I could give. Oh yeah, there may be a group that practices somewhere, join em! Fortunately, there is such a group in my city and that is where I take my children during the winter to practice...During the summer it's SHOW TIME! We go to pow-wows and give er nails!!!
              I think what he was saying was the best way to learn how to dance is to go to powwows and be around other ndns

              There are only 1 remaining rez in Oklahoma for instance but lots of communities and certainly plenty of powwows
              You can watch all the videos you want but unless you set down with someone and talk about what you are seeing you will not learn the proper way

              Dance is a hand me down kind of thang!
              ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
              Till I Die!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cree_thang View Post
                Please, please please, dont think that you have to live on a rez to learn to dance...That has nothing to do with it! I grew up on the rez and learned to dance, but I also have friends who grew up in the city who have learned to dance too. If exposed to it, you will learn. Whatever your style of learning may be, use it to your advantage. Perhaps you learn visually, maybe you learn by what others tell you, whatever your style-use it! That's the best advise I could give. Oh yeah, there may be a group that practices somewhere, join em! Fortunately, there is such a group in my city and that is where I take my children during the winter to practice...During the summer it's SHOW TIME! We go to pow-wows and give er nails!!!
                Originally posted by Josiah View Post
                I think what he was saying was the best way to learn how to dance is to go to powwows and be around other ndns

                There are only 1 remaining rez in Oklahoma for instance but lots of communities and certainly plenty of powwows
                You can watch all the videos you want but unless you set down with someone and talk about what you are seeing you will not learn the proper way

                Dance is a hand me down kind of thang!
                nuff said!!!
                I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  the good thing about dancing

                  I was taken to powwows in the city of Chicago when I was little and then was shown by a good friend of my Mom's how to wait for the head dancers etc. protocol for me was a form of respect for the other dancers. Before that I was just a kid and danced whenever the drum started. For me to dance was all about feeling good and knowing that I was a part of this whole scene. I went to many powwows all my life where I believe the best part is when everyone is getting down and just dancing and singing. No contest, no judging, just dancing. It never goes away, our people are always going to have this and it cant be taken away.
                  Hang out at as many powwows as you can and just enjoy, lots of people will help you out and watch videos too.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Crazy Crow Trading Post has a video for beginning dancers............but I'm telling you the same thing I was told when I started dancing........you got to spend a lot of time on the bench at powwows watching and learning before you start dancing.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      just a dancer

                      I just danced! must have been good, cause it was fun

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Wee Chaw!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          learning

                          Learning to dance is not about sitting on the side, it is about participation. So I would say - do like I did and get up and dance.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You can "learn how to do the steps" by watching but you will never truely dance until you understand that dancing comes in response to the drum beating within. So, watch the videos, watch at powwows, ask questions, practice and then let your soul be expressed when you go out onto the floor.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              ndn dancing

                              Is that like, "its an ndn thing?" Of course, you feel it inside just like I said before you can't get that feeling anywhere but with your own.

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • nbent
                                Boy Scout Chicken Dance
                                by nbent
                                Hi everyone, I'm going to start of by saying that I am a Boy Scout and that I am in the Order of the Arrow. I know that many people on this site do not like the fact that Boy Scouts are doing Native American Dances. I would also like to say that I am respectful and always willing to learn so that I...
                                03-17-2014, 07:04 PM
                              • boborko
                                Smoke Dance Help!
                                by boborko
                                Hello all! I am trying to set up a few classes for an elementary school class about First Canadians (and Americans) I wanted to include song and dance as a part of the lessons and have decided that the Smoke Dance would be a good start. I am having some trouble with a few things and was hoping someone...
                                03-31-2010, 05:10 PM
                              • creehawk
                                Need Help To Become A Dance**
                                by creehawk
                                Hi, Well My name is Amsey. I am Mohawk and Cree and would like to become a fancy shawl dancer. I have been going to pow wows and wanting to dance for years. Now that I have the ambition to dance, I don't know what I need, what are good colours to choose, what ceremonies (if any) I have to go through,...
                                03-19-2006, 05:01 PM
                              • SmilingOtter
                                Am I able to Dance?
                                by SmilingOtter
                                Hello,

                                I am new to this site, and I really would appreciate some answered questions, please.

                                I'm 50% Siksika, and 50% Irish. With me not being all Native, would/does that prevent me from dancing? I do not know a lot on Pow Wows and my mother (the Native side of me), is...
                                09-10-2011, 01:01 PM
                              • CHEROSAGE
                                Going South!
                                by CHEROSAGE
                                Just wanted to let you all know that I won't be around for over a week. Going to a nice dance in McAllen TX. They asked me to help as their AD. Gary Kodaseet is the MC. IF, anyone needs a dance this weekend and can make it this is a nice dance to have fun.
                                10-21-2008, 03:44 PM

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X