• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwhitley
    Okie Choctaw
    • Mar 2008

Learning to dance..

Hi:)

I was wondering how you learn to dance? I mean, besides going to powwows and living on a res and stuff. I have nothing like that around me, but I would like to learn.
    THIS IS OUR LAND!!
  • Wojapi4Me
    Kili!
    • Oct 2001

the best way to learn to dance is by going to pow wows, living on a rez and stuff
    I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

• Josiah
      Powwow Dude
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Wojapi4Me View Post
      the best way to learn to dance is by going to pow wows, living on a rez and stuff
      Yes Really
      lol
      ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
      Till I Die!

Comment

• jwhitley
        Okie Choctaw
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Wojapi4Me View Post
        Haha, well, wouldn't you know it? Duh:) lol

No but uh...any other sugestions? I didn't know if there was like a vedio to teach you the steps or what:)
        Thanks
        THIS IS OUR LAND!!

Comment

• Barb
          Dragonfly
          • Jan 2003

Yes there are videos you can get for each style of dancing. However I found by watching the dancers and talking to different people at the Pow wows is the best way to learn.
          ClothDancer02

Comment

• Cree_thang
            Tiny Tot Dancer
            • Oct 2006

Please, please please, dont think that you have to live on a rez to learn to dance...That has nothing to do with it! I grew up on the rez and learned to dance, but I also have friends who grew up in the city who have learned to dance too. If exposed to it, you will learn. Whatever your style of learning may be, use it to your advantage. Perhaps you learn visually, maybe you learn by what others tell you, whatever your style-use it! That's the best advise I could give. Oh yeah, there may be a group that practices somewhere, join em! Fortunately, there is such a group in my city and that is where I take my children during the winter to practice...During the summer it's SHOW TIME! We go to pow-wows and give er nails!!!

Comment

• Josiah
              Powwow Dude
              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Cree_thang View Post
              Please, please please, dont think that you have to live on a rez to learn to dance...That has nothing to do with it! I grew up on the rez and learned to dance, but I also have friends who grew up in the city who have learned to dance too. If exposed to it, you will learn. Whatever your style of learning may be, use it to your advantage. Perhaps you learn visually, maybe you learn by what others tell you, whatever your style-use it! That's the best advise I could give. Oh yeah, there may be a group that practices somewhere, join em! Fortunately, there is such a group in my city and that is where I take my children during the winter to practice...During the summer it's SHOW TIME! We go to pow-wows and give er nails!!!
              I think what he was saying was the best way to learn how to dance is to go to powwows and be around other ndns

There are only 1 remaining rez in Oklahoma for instance but lots of communities and certainly plenty of powwows
              You can watch all the videos you want but unless you set down with someone and talk about what you are seeing you will not learn the proper way

Dance is a hand me down kind of thang!
              ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
              Till I Die!

Comment

• soopashinaab
                Teepee Creepin near you
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Cree_thang View Post
                Originally posted by Josiah View Post
                I think what he was saying was the best way to learn how to dance is to go to powwows and be around other ndns

There are only 1 remaining rez in Oklahoma for instance but lots of communities and certainly plenty of powwows
                You can watch all the videos you want but unless you set down with someone and talk about what you are seeing you will not learn the proper way

Dance is a hand me down kind of thang!
                nuff said!!!
                I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

Comment

• pow-wow person
                  its me
                  • May 2005

the good thing about dancing

I was taken to powwows in the city of Chicago when I was little and then was shown by a good friend of my Mom's how to wait for the head dancers etc. protocol for me was a form of respect for the other dancers. Before that I was just a kid and danced whenever the drum started. For me to dance was all about feeling good and knowing that I was a part of this whole scene. I went to many powwows all my life where I believe the best part is when everyone is getting down and just dancing and singing. No contest, no judging, just dancing. It never goes away, our people are always going to have this and it cant be taken away.
                  Hang out at as many powwows as you can and just enjoy, lots of people will help you out and watch videos too.

Comment

• NancyJo
                    Cloth Dancer
                    • Sep 2000

Crazy Crow Trading Post has a video for beginning dancers............but I'm telling you the same thing I was told when I started dancing........you got to spend a lot of time on the bench at powwows watching and learning before you start dancing.

Comment

• pow-wow person
                      its me
                      • May 2005

just a dancer

I just danced! must have been good, cause it was fun

Comment

• handgame_native
                        Junior Dancer
                        • Jul 2007

Wee Chaw!

Comment

• pow-wow person
                          its me
                          • May 2005

learning

Learning to dance is not about sitting on the side, it is about participation. So I would say - do like I did and get up and dance.

Comment

• SamanthaF
                            Pow Wow Visitor
                            • Apr 2008

You can "learn how to do the steps" by watching but you will never truely dance until you understand that dancing comes in response to the drum beating within. So, watch the videos, watch at powwows, ask questions, practice and then let your soul be expressed when you go out onto the floor.

Comment

• pow-wow person
                              its me
                              • May 2005

ndn dancing

Is that like, "its an ndn thing?" Of course, you feel it inside just like I said before you can't get that feeling anywhere but with your own.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.