FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chalako View Post
    TDid you look at the pictures from the city?
    Yes, I did. Beautiful looking place.

Comment

Originally posted by Broken Arrow View Post

Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany have common borders though the borders are today not what they once were.

Lederhosen are not all that familiar in the German speaking regions outside some local regions like Bavaria, Austria and South Tirol (Italy).

Schweinshaxe mit Sauerkraut (pork knuckle with sour red). Rheinischer Sauerbraten and Rheinisches Sauerkraut are more to my liking than Schweinshaxe.

Those "romantic views" are good for tourism, local identity and much more. You will find as many "tribes" in Europe than you have on turtle island but perhaps less spiritualized.

Beer ah, the best beer is German beer, the Rhenania Brauerei once won in almost very category when there was an European contest. OK, ok, that is more than 40 years ago. . There is good Belgian beer too.

Difficult to learn beyond a certain point about a different culture if you are restricted to books and the internet. I only know a fraction of Germany, the people, their customs, their believes, traditions, language,... The spoken German can be very difficult to understand depending on the region. I know some regions where a foreigner may think he isn't hearing German at all.

When my fathers mother spoke the language of her youth, I did not understand her. And the language of my aunt, living in the next village was different from grandma but I likewise I didn't understand her but grandma did. The written German language is consistent within the Federal Republic. The Austrian and Swiss German have differences. Can be surprising.

As long as we tell each other with good humor, everything is well.
      And this is what we learn. We cannot learn another culture from a book. It would be foolish of me to say, "The europeans are one with nature", or, " The europeans smoke a peace pipe". I don't know anything of the the region. Likewise, I would show my ignorance if I tried to impress the Germans, Belgians or Neanderthals (just kidding. I don't know what they call Netherlandians) with my knowledge of their being.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
        Isn't Mingo Falls around there?
        It's been about 30 years since I've been there. Mingo Falls was nearby. I was there in the capacity of Executive Director of a tribe in North Carolina. Also went on vacation there about 40 years ago. I didn't see any buffaloes there. Did see a tipi where you could take a pic with the chief (or is it cheif?). Beautiful area, the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Great Smoky Mountains.
        Last edited by Joe's Dad; 12-15-2017, 05:51 PM.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
          Likewise, I would show my ignorance if I tried to impress the Germans, Belgians or Neanderthals (just kidding. I don't know what they call Netherlandians) with my knowledge of their being.

LOL, we call the inhabitants of the Netherlands most often "Holländer" though we should call them "Niederländer". Nord- und Süd-Holland are comparable to a federal state as South Dakota or Hessen.

As to the Neanderthals, that is 45 minutes by car. LOl. There is some DNA left in us though the last of them vanished about 30.000 years ago. It is a nice valley near Düsseldorf where the remains once were found and there flows the creek Düssel. You almost do not notice that you are close two the state city of Nordrhein-Westfalen with about 650.000 people.
          Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
          Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
          Show me, and I will understand.
          Involve me, and I will learn.”
          Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
          Courage to change the things I can,
          And wisdom to know the difference.
          Living one day at a time,
          Enjoying one moment at a time,
          Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
          (Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
            ...Beautiful area, the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Great Smoky Mountains.
            'Tis, 'tis. Thirty years ago, I did my undergrad work just over the mountains in a little town outside Knoxville. Fell in love with the area.

Second Thanksgiving I was there, my cousin and I rented a car, since neither of us had one. We went up over 441 through Newfound Gap into Cherokee. We hit about 100 ft of ice at the peak just on the TN side of the pass. My friend was from LA, she had never driven on ice and I wasn't old enough to drive the rental (and hadn't driven on ice much either). We kept sliding down the mountain, toward the guard rail (and a really nice several hundred foot drop). We finally crept over, with two wheels on the graveled shoulder about 6 inches from the guardrail.

Being sensible young ladies we decided to go back a different way. A much lower altitude way. With no maps -- in the pre-GPS days -- we drove all over hills and hollows, trying to stay below the snow line. We stumbled on Mingo Falls during that trip and ate a picnic lunch, of cold biscuits from the school cafeteria, at the trailhead. The falls were magical.

In all my trips to Arrowmont, I've only gotten back across the mountains to Cherokee once. It's so dang crowded during the summer you spend all your time in the mountains watching the bumper to bumper traffic :( This summer people in Gatlinburg told me that visitors to the city and the park were down because of the fires last year. Could have fooled me.

Comment

Do you have a canopy?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.