New to Pow wow's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Pow wow's

Hello, I am new to the Pow wow scene. I have recently discovered my Cherokee past and I am wanting to get started in dancing in the Pow wow's, My question is where do I start? I have found several sites that show me how to make my dance outfit. What do I need to do now? Who do I get in contact with? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to Powwow.com. I don't know much of where to look for in Indiana. I have never been there, even I have some family members that used to lived there. You could find someone from the reservation usually a centre for Native people. You just have to ask around to look for a person who knows how to make Powwow costume. For me, I have never own a costume for traditional or contest dancing in my life. I still dance whenever the announcer said that it is for all people to dance in the Powwow ground. If it is for traditional or special respect to a special person who lost a home or pass away. Then I won't dance until all people dance. I do own three traditional shawls. I wear traditional barettes. Maybe you can google to find some ready made costume on the internet. You don't need to make them unless you want to make the outfit. I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. I hope to see you around.

Comment

Welcome to pow wow's.

Well to answer your questions that all depends on if your ancestors were from NC or OK, that would be the first start. There is a Cherokee thread on here started by Okwataga and she lives in Cherokee, NC on the res and has posted much about the new dress of the Eastern Cherokee or you could get in contact with the Museum in Cherokee NC or the Museum in OK, depending on where your ancestor's were from. Either one can help you out and give you much info.

Many pow wow's are open dancing for anyone who attends, although some are contest ones--they still have "Intertribals" and anyone who wishes to dance is welcome at that time.

Comment

Thank you all for responding. The ancestors that I have found I have looked them up in the Dawes roll index and located their Roll number. As far as if they are from NC or OK I do not know. All my records just list their names and such. I do not know how to get their full Dawes Roll info. As far as my costume goes, I am pretty sure on what to do with my costume and all. I just do not know who to contact in regards to competition dancing and general dancing. I still need to learn what the traditions say about the types of dress for my style and how to dance the style I have picked out.

Comment

The Dawes Rolls were done on the Cherokee's in OK, so there is your answer on that one. You should contact the Museum in OK for info on your dress and that and their Tribal Enrollment can help you with the Dawes info and all of that. There is no other info on those rolls except for the Family Census Cards of the Dawes Rolls and they give some good info as to the persons parents and leads to more family farther back. I believe the Tribe has that info or the Museum there does. I have the Dawes Rolls and access to the Census Cards for those Rolls.
          As for competition dancing and pow wow's, that you will have to actually attend a particular pow wow and find out through the pow wow committee or if there is a flyer on it or there is a pow wow calendar on here that lists many pow wow's and contact info for certain pow wow's.

Comment

Thank you Mr. Tiger! I will contact the Tribe in Oklahoma and start there on locating the rest of the info! Here in Indiana where I live we have no pow wows except for the one we get here every year in September. I have looked on here for some others but come up with nothing.

Comment

just to clear up a couple of remarks on this thread, you want to use the term regalia, costumes are what you wear on hallowe'en, although I understand that in the case of DeafToniB it was probably more of a translation issue which is cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Cherokeebyblood View Post
                Thank you Mr. Tiger! I will contact the Tribe in Oklahoma and start there on locating the rest of the info! Here in Indiana where I live we have no pow wows except for the one we get here every year in September. I have looked on here for some others but come up with nothing.
                First of lall I'm a female, but that's okay.
                I do know that there are several pow wow's in Indiana, although I've never been to one, they do exist. I'm just not sure where and when or what or who.LOL The best that I could tell you would just to keep looking around and asking people, you will find them.

Comment

Im so sorry for the mistake Mrs.Tiger! I will keep looking around for more info on my state as far as pow wows go! Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Chero,

I will go on a limb to help...

Perhaps if you PM powwowbum49, he can answer a lot of questions you have. He's a good ol' boy.
                    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Exactly

Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
                      just to clear up a couple of remarks on this thread, you want to use the term regalia, costumes are what you wear on hallowe'en, although I understand that in the case of DeafToniB it was probably more of a translation issue which is cool.
                      Yes! Please remember to always say regalia! And Welcome to Powwows.com. You'll have a lot of fun here. You're more than welcome to email me any time "Chero" if you have any questions about anything. I'll do my best to help ya'!
                      Last edited by ugidali; 02-01-2009, 05:41 AM.
                      2011-2012 Powwow.com Princess !

"We Walk in Two Worlds"

Comment

yea that's a different kind of approach lol ok what up the the chemical direction

to the person who dropping this bit of info .lol

why ?
                        Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..It's about learning to dance in the rain. for me and the wolf

Comment

Welcome and congratulations on finding more about your past.
                          I'm Cherokee and I also pow-wow. BUT, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not think that pow-wow is traditional culture for Cherokee people. Pow wow is a plains thing and we are only guests at their indulgence. We do still maintain many of our traditions and culture. I encourage you to explore pow-wows and enjoy them but regardless of what anyone may say on here or elsewhere, pow-wow is not and never has been a part of our traditional culture.

Comment

Originally posted by tribaltagz View Post
                            Welcome and congratulations on finding more about your past.
                            I'm Cherokee and I also pow-wow. BUT, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not think that pow-wow is traditional culture for Cherokee people. Pow wow is a plains thing and we are only guests at their indulgence. We do still maintain many of our traditions and culture. I encourage you to explore pow-wows and enjoy them but regardless of what anyone may say on here or elsewhere, pow-wow is not and never has been a part of our traditional culture.
                            O'siyo,

I am aware that pow wow's are not apart of my Cherokee past. I'm interested in celebrating all of the Native Americans including my own ancestors. The more I learn about my past the more I want to be apart of it. I have finally found the part of me that was missing. My problem that I am having is that where I live I do not have any of my Cherokee brothers or sisters around me to ask questions or to learn from. I have to rely on the internet and then I do not know what is true or what is false information. Thanks for the time you took to answer me and I wish you all the best.

Smoke and Prayers

Comment

Lots of good info on Pow Wow etiquette! Thanks

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.