Powwow foods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powwow foods

I am doing a college research paper on foods at powwows. Problem is the only powwows I have attended are in the midwest. Could anyone let me know what powwows you've attended recently (and where they were) and what foods were served or available?
    Any help is very appreciated.

Nothing like a a good heaping mound of acorn mush with a side of meat.
    Maybe with acorn tortillas. :)

But you just don't see that at the pow wows. It's usually the canned refried beans.

Blessings to You All. :)

Comment

YUM-M-M! Yes, I love acorn mush, soup and can't forget the bread! Dipping the bread in the soup is the best. I've only "chored" it once, but hopefully soon I'll do it again. RBEES, do you have a burden basket? I saw one at Table and it was just sweeeet! I'd like to make one myself, but time, gathering, and patience is getting in my way....;)
      "Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those doing it."

~ Ah nech me hewet ~ :49:

Comment

food

Indian tacos, fry bread, corn soup, and if your lucky, steam fry.

Comment

Buffalo burgers all kinds of fry bread, stews, strawberry shortcake (made from frybread) snow cones, jerky, salmon, grilled pumkins, and different other kinds of squash......you know good stuff....oh yeah and some times wojapi..:D
          SANTA BARBARA SKIN

Comment

Give me the fried corn-on-the-cob, fry bread, ndn tacos, and them good ol' fries :D .
            Through the good times and bad times, always pray.

Comment

Beat me to the punch I was going to list acorn mush. Yo ain't nothing better acorn mush with some bread. So do you ladies make mush or what? My sister makes bread but it comes in packaged.
              So broke I'm thinking of pawning my gold toof!

Comment

Beat me to the punch on buffalo burgers but I ain't had one since casa de fruta pow wow. I like my buffalo burgers doubled now that is how a real skin eats all meat no hiding behind chicken sticks.
                So broke I'm thinking of pawning my gold toof!

Comment

:7: real cornbread....not that baked crap....

....real corn bread was traditionally before the europeans was fried on a hot rock or hot stone...

....in the modern era and that can be as long ago as the 1700s real cornbread is fried in a cast iron skillet or spider as we say here in lumbee land and the carolinas:Thumbs

....and don't forget wild rice stew, tater bread - sweet potato bread that is, fried squash or tomatos instead of fires, and good ole ice tea - yes already sweet:Jumping:

:Cry unfortunately not many food vendors provide such native foods at powwows....but evey once in a while you find some that do and when you do you better believe that is good eating:Tongue :7: :ready2eat
                  BIG CHEEKS, BIG BOOBS, SMALL WAIST, PRETTY FACE & A TIGHT A*S*S

Comment

I HAVE HAD FRIED SWEET POTATOS CORN ON COB ELK BURGERS STIR FRY BLUEBERRY PIES CHILI BURRITOS AND BEING A DRUMMER I HAVE BEEN SERVED RIBEYE STEAK CHICKEN AND PORK CHOPS ALL WERE GRILLED OF COURSE YOU REMEMBER THE COMMITEES WHO WENT THIS MUCH TROUBLE:Chatter
                    long hair

Comment

frybread, wild rice soup, ndn tacos, frybread n baloney, fish dinners (pickeral n fries), just to name a few. :D
                      "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Comment

Indian tacos, frybread and wojapi (not wojabi as these crazy vendors from the midwest call it.....they just won't listen to me), rez dogs, and believe or not.....kettle corn.....(extremely addictive...and not the microwave junk) really hit the spot. At the last powwow I went to (Louisville, KY), they had venison burgers, buffalo burgers, venison barbecue, buffalo barbecue, and all the other typical food vendor stuff. For some unknown reason, there weren't any frybread vendors present. :Cry I guess I will have to wait until the powwow.

Comment

big a$$ fair type corndogs
                          WHEN FACED WITH A CHALLENGE, LOOK FOR A WAY NOT A WAY OUT.
                          Death: The pain passes but the beauty remains.

Comment

I hear you there saukpuppet. I love them big ol'dogs. By the way, I hope you and your hubby go to the MC Ball. Have a good time for me :D .
                            Through the good times and bad times, always pray.

Comment

The buffalo burgers were always one of my favorites. I could eat 4 in one meal.
                              `~`~He kai a te rangatira he korero~`~`
                              ``The food of a chief is talk``

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X