Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone on east coast see this kinda dance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone on east coast see this kinda dance?

2:17......what is that? anyone know?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wySEhfOeXfs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dammit embed wont work....follow link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wySEhfOeXfs
    Last edited by milehighsalute; 05-29-2014, 12:11 PM.
    "I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR

I'm not on the east coast , but this is what they are.....why they're at a powwow is beyond me !

Gombey
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Gombey dancers at the Smithsonian Folklife Festival in 2001.

The Gombey is an iconic symbol of Bermuda, this folklife tradition reflecting the island’s blend of African, indigenous peoples, Caribbean and British cultures, incorporating them over time into a unique performance art full of colorful and intricate masquerade, dance and drumming.

Dancers are usually male, and perform in groups of 10-30[1] though in modern times female groups have emerged. The traditions have been passed down orally from one generation to the next within families and the Captains of each troupe determine the direction of the troupe and style that is taught. Thus within troupes there can be found subtle but distinct differences in beats, dances, costumes, headdresses, by which they can each be recognized.
    I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
    It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

Originally posted by wardancer View Post
      I'm not on the east coast , but this is what they are.....why they're at a powwow is beyond me !

Gombey

The Gombey is an iconic symbol of Bermuda, this folklife tradition reflecting the island’s blend of African, indigenous peoples, Caribbean and British cultures, incorporating them over time into a unique performance art full of colorful and intricate masquerade, dance and drumming.

Dancers are usually male, and perform in groups of 10-30[1] though in modern times female groups have emerged. The traditions have been passed down orally from one generation to the next within families and the Captains of each troupe determine the direction of the troupe and style that is taught. Thus within troupes there can be found subtle but distinct differences in beats, dances, costumes, headdresses, by which they can each be recognized.
      they look similar to our matachines.....at least some other pueblos look similar to them

http://www.google.com/search?q=puebl...bih=933&surl=1
      "I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR

Comment

Originally posted by wardancer View Post

Gombey

i have no problem wih "exhibitions".......but why the hell ae they in gand entry?.......anyways that powwow looks like half a hobbyist powwow at least so go figure

Comment

Crazy how the Mashpee and Pequot look so 'different' and get all the 'real' looking NDNs to go to their powwows.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

not saying those particular tribes were hobbyists....just saying their powwow seems to attract a good number of them

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.