Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How your Native Languages being taught

Kia Ora!

I would like to know how your Native languages is being taught. Do they teach this in your public schools o thru your private Native schools? O thru your own people?

For a long while our Maori language on Aotearoa (New Z) was pushed out of reach for our young ones by the pakeha (white's). To be taught by our familys in family groups. Only recently have they started putting our languages back into our schools systems. I am hoping that English language will be pushed second to our's. That big wish though. Very big.
    Last edited by MaoriTanga; 11-12-2003, 02:12 PM.
    `~`~He kai a te rangatira he korero~`~`
    ``The food of a chief is talk``

great thread....for me I a California ndn and there are a few "bands" each with vary diffrent dialects. In my dialect there a almost none who are considered fluent. The Univercity of Caifornia Berkeley has a Linguistics program that is teacher out trible members to become fluent and to teach the youth who have never be able to learn. It's sad to say becuase this particular dialect is almost extinict.

Comment

Originally posted by ndnkidz_5
      great thread....for me I a California ndn and there are a few "bands" each with vary diffrent dialects. In my dialect there a almost none who are considered fluent. The Univercity of Caifornia Berkeley has a Linguistics program that is teacher out trible members to become fluent and to teach the youth who have never be able to learn. It's sad to say becuase this particular dialect is almost extinict.

ndnkidz_5 you not have any `grandfathers (mothers included)` that know the differnt dialects? Your people only able to go to a linguistics teacher and he o she is teaching your lanuage to tribal members?
      Is this teacher a native of your tribe/band? O self taght?

we have the ol saying go like this
      `toku reo toku ohooho`
      which we mean `my language my awakning`

ALL native people from all countrys need to
      be taught this soon as they start talking. Especially us Indigenious people.

We half many dialects to. It is hard for our schools to go by just one certain. It will get `ugly`.
      `~`~He kai a te rangatira he korero~`~`
      ``The food of a chief is talk``

Comment

all my grand parens are gone, as with many, the hisotry of California Natives is quite deffrent than other tribes, Many tribes here do have Native speakers, but most do not ( at least fluent). In california there wer "two" geoiceds that happend... one with the spanish missions and then a second one later with the california Gold rush. So many tribe were almost wiped out. Tribes that live in what are now "urban" area got hit the worse. Where my poeple coem from is now HollyWood and the Santa Barbra Coast were only the rich can afford to live. Tribes that lived in areas prized by the white were destyoyed.
        Also whith Cali ndns were lived in smaller groups and our number were not a massive as other non cali tribes. There we more tribes in this state than any other just just smaller in numbers. So you can see why California ndn have a harder time keep their Lauguange going. Plus there are soooooo many dialects here it would be hard for to coverce with any one even if you are teh same tribe. So sad. SOem tirbes are doing very well keep thier lauguage alive, mostly thoes tribes are bigger in numbers and live in more rural areas of California or were not tribes hit hard my the mission system. Hope that helps you??

Comment

When pigs have

wings and fly over head then we will see native languages in public schools.man all you get in school is a choice of french;german;italian;spanish.Just waiting to see vietnameese in those class lists.No its all about learning the laguange from your grandma or aunties/uncles who ever knows it still.I only wish I knew my languages fluently that would be dope as dope can get.But I have to be honest here I dont really make to much of an effort.When my mom and aunty Claire start talking in our language we all know it is something good and juicy.That is real cool that you know your language Maoritaga.I have seen lots of movies with Maori in them and man they sound cool.I'm willing to bet you sound like them.
          Ndnkidz5 are you going to that class and trying to learn?That is cool if you do i should do the same I need a good kick start.
          Friends dont let friends take home ugly Men. :huddle:

:indian1: THE DARKER THE FLESH THEN THE DEEPER THE ROOTS :indian1:

Comment

boozhoo!

i am learning ojibwe by tapes and by the internet and also by some of my family members and freinds, i am teaching my mother , and the rest of my family, my eldest brother sent me one tape and then i bought a dictionary, and i also goto to ojibwe web sites .... i want to go back where my grandmother was born " white earth" minnesota and speak ojibwe with the elders, maybe i can be ready for the next white earth annual powwow!

geegz!
            "When the forest weeps, the Anishinabe who listens will look back at the years. In each generation of Ojibway there will be a person who will hear the si-si-gwa-d, who will listen and remember and pass it on to the children."

"Night Flying Woman"

Comment

I have to say our language here is still alive, mind you, not as much as it should be! I speak it...I speak to my daughters...they also have the language taught in the public schools, both elementary and highschools, even at college and university levels here. So, with that we are fortunate. :) :)
              "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Comment

hey thepowwowchick49

Yes I am going to the class I have my sister and two cousins and some nicecs learing as well......it's take a true effort, and becuase I am lazy....I am not doing as well as others....I guess I better get off my butt....aye. Good luck to your studies too.

I am really glad this thread was started .....makes me want to learn more and has given me some modivation!

Comment

the language of my people the Tsalasgi(cherokee) has 2 distinct dialects, eastern and western. unfort. not enough info is available off the rez to get a good grip on the eastern dialect. i know some but i study most of my peoples language in western dialect. there are classes offered at cherokee.org and many tape classes. i have a couple friends who are helping since they are fluent. it takes dedication to learn a language that is not readily accessible.
                  it takes few words to tell the truth and a lot of them to tell a lie..

Comment

Most of the public schools on my rez have implemented Navajo Language/Culture classes into their curriculums. I think it's even become a prerequisite for high school students - they gotta take the class in order to graduate. I myself had to learn it through College courses. It's a very difficult language to comprehend. Speaking/reading/writing the language is a great accomplishment. It uses the basic english alphabet but has dialect marks for pronunciation. EX: Yá’át’ééh means "hello" :) it's also kinda cool also cuz there's a Navajo Font for PC's. :37: LOL so yeah, it's nice that the schools are taking the importance of learning the language into consideration (finally!).

Comment

Ndnkidz5 makes alot of valied points because even though cali has a large indian population our languages are asleep in most of our tribes. They are there in us but we have to be awaken to them. Some of the tribes have teachers with classes available to us but we need to have it come alive in us to learn. Some of the people frown on the teachings being taught by tapes and internet and books but these are the same people not wanting to support programs to help fund teachings but then fuccking cry about because our generation and the next generation isn't learning. My mom and dad learned from my grandparents but they didn't talk to us in our language. Then the 2 worlds collide when it comes to learning native language because on one hand peopole think why should I learn there really is no use for it. Then on the other hand once our languages are gone are we as tribal people just as extinct. When I have kids of my own I pray our languages will be preserved for them tolearn and pass on. If we can keep the songs and the ceremonys going whats to say we can't revitalize our languages in cali indian country.
                      So broke I'm thinking of pawning my gold toof!

Comment

dohsha...neither....since i live in the city when i was a kid public school ofcourse never taught native lang...so i learned from my ma and grandpa and auntes...my grandpa makes it a point to never speak english with me...hehehe he says some pretty mean stuff about his current wife ...thats the only time he can get away with it...she gets so pissed off when he doenst speak english-becca

Comment

Language.

My g-ma was the school bi-lingual teacher, so we learned it from her at home and school. I think we are the last generation to be fluent speakers, and the first to speak English. Its being taught in the more Indian populated schools, though. My kids are learning it.

Pare-

Comment

There were several nations in the Land of the sun, florida, and they all spoke the Timucua, a dialect of the Mayan peoples language.
                            Our nation was Potano, yes , we introduced homefrys to the spanish.
                            Timicuaremains as a study language for some of the Potano descedents.
                            I am learning the words, but have never talked to anyone outside my family.
                            I sometimes think I should learn another tribes language, but am waiting .
                            You who speak your language, keep learning and teaching.
                            ------------------
                            " We beseech and demand... that you accept the Church and the Superior Organization of the whole world and recognize the supreme Pontiff, called the Pope, and that in his name you acknowledge the King and Queen... his representatives, as the lords and superior authorities of these islands and main lands...
                            If you do not do this, or resort maliciously to delay, we warn you that, with the aid of God, we will enter your land against you with force and will make war in every place and by every means we can and are able, and we will then subject you to the yoke and authority of the church and of their Highnesses.
                            We will take you and your wives and children and make them slaves...
                            And we will take your property and will do you all the harm and evil we can..."

--The Requerimiento (read by Spanish Conquistadors to the people of the "New World" )

Comment

Originally posted by cougarwalker
                              the language of my people the Tsalasgi(cherokee) has 2 distinct dialects, eastern and western. unfort. not enough info is available off the rez to get a good grip on the eastern dialect. i know some but i study most of my peoples language in western dialect. there are classes offered at cherokee.org and many tape classes. i have a couple friends who are helping since they are fluent. it takes dedication to learn a language that is not readily accessible.
                              hey cougarwalker,
                              my adopted sister is eastern band cherokee, she really wants to learn, but as you said there is not enough info available off the rez, do you know a way she can learn while living in new york??

thanks
                              "When the forest weeps, the Anishinabe who listens will look back at the years. In each generation of Ojibway there will be a person who will hear the si-si-gwa-d, who will listen and remember and pass it on to the children."

"Night Flying Woman"

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X