Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PowWow First Timer : what can do and not do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowWow First Timer : what can do and not do?

hi guys,

i'm attending my first powwow in the end of august at the 2017 Shakopee Powwow in Minesota. I'm half native from my father's side but never got the opportunity to attend events like those, and i was wondering if you guys knew what kind of things I'll be able/not able to do not being enrolled in a tribe (not myself, parents were).

thanks and if you have any tips for first powwow i won't say no!

thanks a lot

aŋpétu wašté yuhá pe

On the right side of the page, you will see a section called Quick Links. Under there is a sub section called Resources for 1st Pow Wow Visitors. It's a good place to start.
    Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

Originally posted by subeeds View Post
      On the right side of the page, you will see a section called Quick Links. Under there is a sub section called Resources for 1st Pow Wow Visitors. It's a good place to start.

Can't see it on mobile phone but will check it out once I get a real computer thanks!

Comment

Here is the direct link so you can read it on your mobile: Pow Wow Visitors Guide - PowWows.com - Native American Pow Wows
        CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
        sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

I noticed you're making regalia. Do you plan to dance at your first powwow?

Comment

Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
            I noticed you're making regalia. Do you plan to dance at your first powwow?
            i intended to join the dance when everyone is invited to, but not participate in any official dances

Comment

I tell people that if you go to three pow wows you will figure out what it is about.

Comment

Originally posted by ches View Post
                I tell people that if you go to three pow wows you will figure out what it is about.
                Really?

Explain what 'powwows are all about'.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
                  Really?

Explain what 'powwows are all about'.
                  You put your left leg in , you take your left leg out , you put your left leg in and you shake it all about ! See , I know !
                  I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
                  It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

I know what it is about goodness&#128513 hard work, spirituality, love, gifting, honoring, learning not to interrupt or talk over others, learning not to point with your finger, socializing, using something from the vendors, donating to the drums, dancing to maneto with thankfulness, encouraging others.

Comment

I know what it is about goodness&#128513 hard work, spirituality, love, gifting, honoring, learning not to interrupt or talk over others, learning not to point with your finger, socializing, using something from the vendors, donating to the drums, dancing to maneto with thankfulness, encouraging others.

Comment

There is poetry there somewhere.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.