if a feather falls during grand entry prayer who and how do you tell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if a feather falls during grand entry prayer who and how do you tell

my question is this... if you are in grand entry, say in the middle of prayer (some pray with their eyes closed visa versa) if you see a feather fall and nobody else has yet, whom do you tell and how? ive heard many differnt answers to this and just thought id put this out there.
    it takes few words to tell the truth and a lot of them to tell a lie..

_____

If it is an eagle feather . . .

the courteous thing to do is wait for the prayer to end and get the attention of the arena director and let him deal with it.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Wait for the Prayer

By all means wait for the prayer to end. Keep track of the feather (wind, etc.) as you or someone gets attention of the Arena Director ASAP!

All feathers should get respect - Birds of Prey, Song Birds, Fowl, etc. Remember that there are many customs and ways when pertaining to feathers and animal parts.

Now retrieving the feather will depend on what kind of feather fell and on the Head Veteran, Veterans, and Arena Director.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
        _____

If it is an eagle feather . . .

the courteous thing to do is wait for the prayer to end and get the attention of the arena director and let him deal with it.
        That is what happened at the Skwlax PowWow. Some young fellow dropped around 4 small feathers. Felt bad for him, but the AD took care of it, and they had a song and prayers for it. People had danced around it, and then he gave tobacco and other items back for the help that he recieved.

Comment

I was at a pow-wow and they stopped the whole thing. The guy who dropped it was almost shamed out. I hope Inever drop one.

Comment

On my rez a fallen eagle feather is truly viewed as a warrior who has gone down. If your comrade fell during a prayer, would you wait until the prayer was over to see to him?

Someone will alert the whip man to the fallen feather, he will then take care of it until it is appropriate to pick it up via a pick up song.
            It is so sad that a family can torn apart by something as simple as a wild pack of dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by kneegrow_native
              On my rez a fallen eagle feather is truly viewed as a warrior who has gone down. If your comrade fell during a prayer, would you wait until the prayer was over to see to him?

Someone will alert the whip man to the fallen feather, he will then take care of it until it is appropriate to pick it up via a pick up song.
              Wa'do (thank you) for your post. this is exactly how i feel. ive been told many different ways to approach this but this is what rings true in my heart.
              the reason i started this thread is because it actually happened to me and it was during prayer. i was standing not far from the ring entrance and i spotted a veteran across from me. i went to him because i could not catch his eye to show him. he handled it right then. i was later told the mcee found this rude since i interrupted the prayer. i politely as i could told him how disrespectful i felt he was not only to me personally but to our traditions. ive never been back to that powwow. many blessings ,cougie

Comment

______

When in Sioux country, you respect their ways.

When Omaha country, likewise.

When in England . . . ?

What is more important, interrupting talk with the Creator or picking up a symbolic warrior?

Comment

Yeah, I hear you there, when in Rome do as the Romans do. But there are some people who will absolutely want to handle their feathers the way they want to. It's kind of a tough argument.

I was a floor man for one pow-wow where they do not do feather pick up songs. A dancer dropped a feather and really wanted a feather pick up song because that was his way. The committee was nice enough to let him have his song and he reimbursed the committee.

At another pow-wow, a dancer dropped his feather, and he had his dad (a veteran and ceremonial man) pick up for him right there, as he was taught. However on this rez they were strict about having feather pick songs for all eagle feathers. They made him bring his feather back out and do a song.

Whistled and fanned songs are looked upon as being prayers. A few times at pow-wows I have seen whislted and fanned songs stopped by elders or whip people to deal with feathers.

Me personally, if it was my feather, I would have covered it right away, even if during a prayer.
                  Last edited by kneegrow_native; 12-08-2003, 02:22 PM.
                  It is so sad that a family can torn apart by something as simple as a wild pack of dogs.

Comment

i was taught to let the arena director know after the prayer is over. the arena director would get the appropiate persons together to retrieve the feather.
                    Last edited by bahnisiain; 01-06-2004, 05:16 PM.
                    Bahnisiain

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
                      ______

When in Sioux country, you respect their ways.

When Omaha country, likewise.

When in England . . . ?

What is more important, interrupting talk with the Creator or picking up a symbolic warrior?

the powwow i was at was in ohio not here in england. i believe Creator gave us these traditions and rituals. i think it honors him when we adhere to them. why else would He have given them to us in the first place? but it is true, if you are at for ex. an omaha powwow (which i have had the honor to be, i am from omaha neb.) you follow their traditions unless it compromises your relationship with Creator. then you still treat them and their ways with respect and honor but as a by-stander. cougie

Comment

nother question

what if you see a little fancy shawl dancer running around the outside of the arena holding her chili dog in one hand and her barrettes and rather LARGE plumes in the same hand and then she drops the plumes in the dirt.do you say something to her or her parents or say nothing at all?
                        Friends dont let friends take home ugly Men. :huddle:

:indian1: THE DARKER THE FLESH THEN THE DEEPER THE ROOTS :indian1:

Comment

im assuming that this is a young girl. yes i would. they should be helping her learn respect and the ways of our people. if they werent trying to do so she probably wouldnt be there in the first place. what could it hurt to say in a kind respectful way that she is having a bit of a problem and that may be they should point out to her that she shouldnt be juggling chili dogs, barrettes and plumes. all they can do is tell ya to mind your own. but i find people are usually open to suggestions as long as you approach them in the right way.

Comment

______

Again . . . eagle feathers hold a special position of prominence among traditional American Indian and First Nations peoples.

However, the treatment of eagle feathers differs both with tribes and individuals. Eagle feathers are handled differently in different powwow arenas as well.

Some powwows will stop the entire powwow and have a feather pickup ceremony. Then the person who drops the feather will giveaway of acknowledgement.

Other powwows will have a veteran pick up the feather. The veteran will then tell a war story and the dropped feather will be gifted to the veteran.

I have also witnessed at some older traditional powwows where the adult who drops an eagle feather will be instructed to pick it up and not interupt the flow of the powwow.

When in Rome . . .

At contest powwows, the frequency of which children and young people own and wear eagle feathers is astounding! Our ancestors would roll over in their graves if they were alive to witness this "spectical."

In ceremony, eagle feathers often are intentionally placed on the ground. Hmmmm?

"Eagle feathers are as sacred as the wearer believes them to be." WhoMe, 2003.

Comment

very interesting!! ive heard that they are sometimes intentionally placed on the ground. do you know the reasoning behind this? thanks, cougie

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.