No announcement yet.

Recovery, preservation or re-invention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery, preservation or re-invention?

Some scholars, when writing about the powwow, say this is a "re-invention" of ancient traditions.

How do you feel about it?

Would you speak about "re-invention", "recovery", "preservation"..???

What's your opinion on the subject?

:37:

____

COCO:

Generally speaking . . .

The funny thing about most scholars is that they do most of their research from books, documents and the internet. The majority of these printed resources are written by non-Indians who equate Indian culture to their own EuroAmerican experiences.

Then they may suppliment their research with a summer's worth of visits to powwows in one region.

From this research they incorporate academic language such as "reinvent," "revovery" and "preservation" to describe modern powwows.

"It is time for people like you and I to tell our own stories about our own culture AND who we really are." WhoMe 2004
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
      ____

COCO:

Generally speaking . . .

The funny thing about most scholars is that they do most of their research from books, documents and the internet. The majority of these printed resources are written by non-Indians who equate Indian culture to their own EuroAmerican experiences.

Then they may suppliment their research with a summer's worth of visits to powwows in one region.

From this research they incorporate academic language such as "reinvent," "revovery" and "preservation" to describe modern powwows.

"It is time for people like you and I to tell our own stories about our own culture AND who we really are." WhoMe 2004
      Right on with your response WhoMe and though I generally don't agree with how powwows are and I say this in comparison to the Lakota and even Cherokee old ways. For scholars to label the powwows as mentioned they'd have to not have grown up learning and being taught and told the old stories of what the original powwwows consisted of.
      -Don't hate me because I'm
      wise beyond my years-

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X