This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackbear
    Then why did'nt you just say you dress cherokee? There is no such thing as a woodland dance style unless you are being specific such as stomp dancing, smoke dancing, social dancing. You make it sound as if it's a particular style at any powwow.

Wade, who is that pic of? Horace Goodhue?????
    I don't remember what I Yahoo image seached under. It was probably under Woodlands dancer. But I did find Horace Goodhue. Check him out.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Seesfar
      An old style woodland dancer is a person who wears regalia that has been copied from early 1800s era. In my case, I used to wear 1860s era Apache. But I have since put together regalia based on early 1800s Cherokee design. Center seam leggins and mocs, bandolier bag, long broadcloth shirt, cross sashes, a turban style head cover with a hawk feather roach, etc.

Uh oh Quick Silver. . .

Look's like we got a tribe and time shifter here too!

Guess I ought to bring two silver bullets?
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
        Uh oh Quick Silver. . .

Look's like we got a tribe and time shifter here too!

Guess I ought to bring two silver bullets?
        Okay Seesfar,
        How far can you see into the future and the past? Do you sense danger and mayhem? May I suggest that you change your wicked ways, lol.

Comment

That one guy you first posted isthe late Frank Bush - Ojibwe/Potawatomie from Michigan.

Comment

THanks Kiw.... his pics he posts are'nt any bigger than the thumbnails so it's really hard to see who they are LOL
            Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CAM_WH
              you a real Apache?
              Yes I am. I would not say this if I wasn't..
              Everybody Powwow !!!!!

Comment

Where did you ever get the idea that I could see forward or backward? It seems to me that you can't see any farther than your conceited nose. And for your information, I don't think I have any wicked ways. I don't drink or smoke and I thank the Creator for every day that I open my eyes. And what could you possibly know about a Shape Shifter? Unless that pic above your Nic is you for real. I think I could find a better pic than an ugly white guy!!!! Anyways, I'm through with this idiotic conversation with a wannabe know it all! And by the way.... If you do know anything, I still have the Tootsieroll Pop that Uncle Frank Bush gave me at the AIC Pow Wow in Lebanon, Indiana. Peace ya all!

Comment

I thought he was talking to seesfar..not little powwow honey... hmm............
                  Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Sorry Ya all he logged on under the wrong name.

Comment

lol

I love it. I pretty much leave for a year, and not much has changed.

This is coming from a white guy who lives in the midwest, so take it or leave it. I am sure people will have plenty of comments.

80% of the powwows around here are wannabee/ hobbyists. Over the years, I became friends with several people, ndn and non. Around here, you have to search long and hard to find a "tradish" powwow that actually follows one set of traditions and protocol. Like someone else posted, 2/3 of these people wouldn't know an indian if one was stomping on your toes. The other third would be demanding that you to prove it by showing your card.

I learned a long time ago, that you can tell who the real ndn's are. They're the ones just keeping to themselves, enjoying what they can from the powwow. Either that, or the ones packing up and leaving the powwow.

The wannbees are always trying to be noticed, and running around talking about just how much ndn they really are, and fighting over who makes the best frybread. Bah! They argue over it cause none of em can make it!

Sounds like this one over in Indiana is another one to avoid.
                      Last edited by Dawg Stylez; 07-14-2005, 11:42 AM.
                      J~Dawg - the one and only!!!
                      In NDN Paradise!!!

Comment

"Sounds like this one over in Indiana is another one to avoid."

Dawg Stylez, your so right. I have to leave Indiana most of the time to find good powwows. But you would be surprized that many people here are quiet and who are wonderful crafts people and know there stuff.....
                        If I do not know the answer someone else will!!!!
                        Also forgive me, this system does not have a spell check so forgive the bad spelling

Comment

So true. I do know of several people who just quietly go about their business and create some beautiful work. I myself have no patience, so that makes me appreciatte it more.
                          J~Dawg - the one and only!!!
                          In NDN Paradise!!!

Comment

Powwow leeway

I have to say most Powwows in the Ohio and Indiana area are hobbies Powwows. Most Powwows growing up that I have been to are in Ontario, Minnesota, Michigan, etc. Moving to Ohio on strange events, that's a long story. At my first Powwows here in Ohio, Ihave to say it was like being in a new world. Singing with different and the way people dress, dance was different.

One day I might just have a Powwow in the Ohio area and have a authentic detector at Grand entry, yelling like a dog might set it off, so watch out.
                            "To follow the right path, is one to follow the mistakes he made in life, to learn off them. Learn to understand them..."

Comment

I forgot all about this thread.

Metis? Indianapolis? Hmmm?

___

I was passin' through Ohio once and stopped at a powwow in Danville. The head singer asked me to stick around for the 49 and I did (only because he twisted my arm).

We all gathered and were ready for a good night of singing and fellowship!

After the starting song some guy (not knowing any better) immediately sings- the quitting song!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much for our 49. *sad. We all disbanded and called it a night.
                              Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Powwow

hmmmmm yes heard about that one, in Indianapolis new years eve powwow, I am going to the one in Richmond Indiana new years eve powwow. I had to decided which one, I also might sing at Richmond powwow. I am going to bring my authentic detector for Grand entry. Still In testing mode...
                                "To follow the right path, is one to follow the mistakes he made in life, to learn off them. Learn to understand them..."

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X