X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
    I have a question, not a comment.

Since this is billed as a Metis event, what Metis culturally based activities will be going on? Just asking. Art? Anyone?
    Apparently you find enjoyment in disrespecting others in your rhetoric. I refuse to answer your question until you apologize and address me by my name instead of being a smart alec..

Comment

Originally posted by ajibik
      The Mide societies were (and are) for the most part no one's business. That's one way to keep the whiteman from usurping our ways.

Society in Idiana? Doubtful.
      Thanks for the info.
      Asema Is Sacred
      Traditional Use, Not Misuse
      Wakan Tanka please have compassion on me.
      OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.

Comment

Originally posted by arthurmedicineeagle
        Apparently you find enjoyment in disrespecting others in your rhetoric. I refuse to answer your question until you apologize and address me by my name instead of being a smart alec..
        Please, Mr arturmedicineeagle, address me as Kiwehnzii. My name is not alec. Also as your post suggests, I am really not that smart. As a matter of fact, I am not familiar with the term rhetoric. Could you please elaborate?

Now will you answer the question about Metis - based cultural events?

Thank you Mr. arturmedicineeagle.

Comment

ok now that i'm caught up on this thread......whats your answer ARTHUR.....................

...GoT GreaSe?...

www.Grease.It.Ayye.com
          RezinInc

sigpic

Comment

I just about give up on Mr Arthurmedicineeagle answering my question. I imagine any Metis from Canada would be disappointed if they went and there were no Metis culture present.

Oh well.

Comment

I would love to hear an answer to that question.

Comment

was just poking around some fraud sites and came across this bit of information... the name looked familiar
                "- Arthur Medicine Eagle Sonier (Travels nationwide, has been associated with Manataka)"
                this is from the American Indian Heritage Support Center website under this heading:
                "Individuals Operating In Arkansas:
                The following individuals, who either live in Arkansas or travel to the state for various events, are suspected to either exploit, misappropriate, or otherwise mislead the public on their backgrounds or qualifications. Not included in this list are the numerous officers and officials of the suspect "tribes" and organizations found in the state. It is advised that before you have any dealings or associations with these individuals, check their claims carefully and in depth"
                their web site is :
                http://home.aihsc.info/index.html

hmmmmmmmmmmm.... well arthur?
                sigpic
                TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

I hope he will post again.....I am curious to see what he has to say;
                  I have encountered people claiming "metis" ancestry and they look more white than anything, (but it is not my place to judge.....) n e wayz, I have been approached by an organization here in Texas (near the Big Bend area) calling themselves the Blue Mountain Metis and claiming allegiance with the Metis in Canada; I, too, could join for the small price of $25 for an id card with my pic on it; wow!!
                  I met someone here in Corpus recently relocated from Ohio, who claimed to be metis. I said to him, "Really? So what is your other nation?" and he looked slightly confused, so I explained to him that Metis is french for mixed, meaning French and Native; he told me he did not know, and I said, "Then how do you know you are Metis?" He had nothing to say to that.......anyway, this guy supposedly moved to California? Not sure and don't care. He looked suspect anyway; whiter than my dad, who is white! lol!!!! Besides he got on my nerves, as I was having a bad day one day and he told me I needed to smudge, smudge, smudge to remove all the anger.......
                  I am mixed but I don't claim to be Metis; my European ancestry is Welsh and Scottish. I guess it takes all kinds; I am curious, tho, why um whatzizname? Arthur? Why he is heavily involved with the Metis? I mean why is he putting together a Metis powwow? Just curious; no disrespect. Heck, I am all the way down here in Texas and my people are up in Maine! ( parents divorce, long story........)
                  just dropping in a little 2 cents.

Comment

hmmmmmmmmm I don't know

hmmmmmmmmm I don't know, you might have to read it at this website to know more, however if i ever met the man i would have to ask.

however here is the site http://users.pandora.be/gohiyuhi/frauds/frd0052.htm
                    "To follow the right path, is one to follow the mistakes he made in life, to learn off them. Learn to understand them..."

Comment

Originally posted by Anishnawbe10
                      hmmmmmmmmm I don't know, you might have to read it at this website to know more, however if i ever met the man i would have to ask.

however here is the site http://users.pandora.be/gohiyuhi/frauds/frd0052.htm
                      Interesting site! Thanks for sharing; I don't think our friend Arthur will be back.........awwww too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by natureluvr
                        Interesting site! Thanks for sharing; I don't think our friend Arthur will be back.........awwww too bad.
                        dayum....was looking fwd to arthurs reply
                        sigpic
                        TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

A little bit on the Metis

Again I have found a thread that I have found amusing and concerning.
                          The Metis when spoken about historically are considered to be from western Canada (Manitoba/Saskatchewan) but are located across Canada such as Ontario & Quebec and in parts of the USA. To be Metis you were usually considered to be of Indian and French Ancestry. (Ojibway/Cree). A language exists (adapted over time together) Mischief it is called. Many consider Metis and it is excepted by many to be any race mixed with 1st nation blood.
                          I would consider many of the Chippewa peoples of Wisconsin to be Metis as their communities have French names for their reservations and there is definite french influence left there. Many french names, the catholic church etc etc etc. To me I respect metis roots as I do all people. A Metis person is one who simply is.....I can't see it any other way than that. The Ojibway word for a Metis is Weesackodaywinini which meaning burnt wood man. This is the word used for mixed blooded people. I consider myself as Anishnawbe but I am indeed in reality the about mentioned. I practise the traditions, language and customs of anishnawbe and I am considered a Status Indian under the federal government of Canada. Often Metis in Canada are those who have lost their inherent rights to have a tribal card/indian status. The goverments of north america are doing their best to subdivide us and slowly enculturate and assimilate us. This process is still in effect.
                          I say love and respect each other and cherish our ways and our differences. I have not heard of a Metis pow-wow per say but they are often present at pow-wows and many belong to drums and or dance.
                          The French, the Metis and the Scottish have left our people practices in the north which are still done today. Square dance, fiddling, and jigging are very popular. This came from the fur trade and it is very exciting time for all who attend. It does not belong to us traditionally but it is an excepted part of our tradition in many communities. I sure hope no one starts called our 1st Nations Peoples, wannabees.
                          (LOL) I write this without judgement or attacking any other threads or messages. I justed wanted to share and place a little bit of fact on the net.
                          Thanks for reading!

Respectfully

Mushkiki
                          (Ron)

Comment

I would love to know too what the Metis did at this gathering that was cultural. I also would like to know what they did with the $5,000 they got .... things to make you go hmmmmmm.... http://www.bsu.edu/capic/culturalindy/support.html
                            "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Originally posted by Mushkiki
                              The Metis when spoken about historically are considered to be from western Canada (Manitoba/Saskatchewan) but are located across Canada such as Ontario & Quebec and in parts of the USA. To be Metis you were usually considered to be of Indian and French Ancestry. (Ojibway/Cree). A language exists (adapted over time together) Mischief it is called. Many consider Metis and it is excepted by many to be any race mixed with 1st nation blood.
                              I would consider many of the Chippewa peoples of Wisconsin to be Metis as their communities have French names for their reservations and there is definite french influence left there. Many french names, the catholic church etc etc etc. To me I respect metis roots as I do all people. A Metis person is one who simply is.....I can't see it any other way than that. The Ojibway word for a Metis is Weesackodaywinini which meaning burnt wood man. This is the word used for mixed blooded people. I consider myself as Anishnawbe but I am indeed in reality the about mentioned. I practise the traditions, language and customs of anishnawbe and I am considered a Status Indian under the federal government of Canada. Often Metis in Canada are those who have lost their inherent rights to have a tribal card/indian status. The goverments of north america are doing their best to subdivide us and slowly enculturate and assimilate us. This process is still in effect.
                              I say love and respect each other and cherish our ways and our differences. I have not heard of a Metis pow-wow per say but they are often present at pow-wows and many belong to drums and or dance.
                              The French, the Metis and the Scottish have left our people practices in the north which are still done today. Square dance, fiddling, and jigging are very popular. This came from the fur trade and it is very exciting time for all who attend. It does not belong to us traditionally but it is an excepted part of our tradition in many communities. I sure hope no one starts called our 1st Nations Peoples, wannabees.
                              (LOL) I write this without judgement or attacking any other threads or messages. I justed wanted to share and place a little bit of fact on the net.
                              Thanks for reading!

Respectfully

Mushkiki
                              (Ron)
                              metis fiddling rocks...im half french and half abenaki
                              sigpic
                              TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

Originally posted by Mushkiki
                                Thanks for reading!

Respectfully

Mushkiki
                                (Ron)
                                Thanks for sharing! I have read a little bit about the Metis culture and it is really interesting! I do know in Canada the Metis are a recognized tribe or as you stated "status" Indians. Does not count as a wannabe in my opinion....

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X