Tulsa Pow Wow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tulsa Pow Wow

I just returned from the Tulsa Pow Wow. They had a pretty good turnout, when you consider the recession. The new location, Spirit Bank Event Center, was about half full in the seats, and they had all the people at the vendor's booths also, with some lined up at the concessions. The event center was a good location, South on Memorial, almost to Bixby. It was clean, with AC, and plenty of room. The concession were good, I had a buffalo burger, it was good, not at all greasy like a regular burger.

I guess the highlight was the women's fancy feather dance, which was the second time I seem that. Another was the clown dance, which was the first time I had seen that kind of dance. I was good for a few chuckles, and I can say I really did LOL. The vendors had some nice stuff, we bought some Tulsa pow wow T-shirts, which they about sold out of, and some other little stuff, keychains, etc. I thought the women's fancy shawl dance was especially good this year. They didn't have many jingle dancers, which was kinda disappointing.

One of the low lights was the extra long invocation, where the guy thanked all the people who showed up in "costume", which is supposed to be an absolute taboo, it's supposed to be regalia, or outfits.

The MC made the funny comment about the person who won the prize money, now being able to take the turnpike home.

While wandering around the arena floor, I happened upon Randy Fraser, the famous A.D. I said hello, and he stuck his hand out for a shake, I shook his hand, and then he looked puzzled, like he was supposed to know me or something.

They spend alot of time giving out gifts, I thought that was something we could have been spared. It was like looking at something that was really none of our business, something that they might have done in private, or as a scheduled event.

I did miss the youth portion of the event, because it was held on Friday, which was a travel day for us. We could hardly get an extra day off work to see that portlion of the event, it might have been held on Saturday, with some other events held on Friday, the travel day for many. I always like to see the youths, and the tiny tots. Missing that portion of the event, made it seem incomplete.

All in all, it was a pretty good trip, a good Pow Wow, and we enjoyed Tulsa, taking in the Tulsa Zoo while we were there, and the Gilgrease Museum. We visited with family while there, some took in the Pow Wow with us, others couldn't make it this year, probably because of the recession.

Good synopsis gtb!

Was this the Intertribal Indian Club of Tulsa (IICOT) Powwow or the Tulsa Powwow Club Powwow?

Was the person who gave the invocation older than 50? If so, this generation still uses the word "costume" to describe their Indian clothes. Heck, sometimes I say costume too instead of outfit sometimes because that's what my grandparents called it!
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

nice update...

Do you still live in eastern OK? Like you location says? Sounds like you drove far to get there??? So I was just wondering?

Comment

http://www.tulsapowwow.org/tpw/tpw09_flyer_090514.pdf

Yah, that's it, here's the flyer.

I live down towards Talihina, down in the mountains. It's not that far, once you get on I-40, and the Turnpike, about 3-4 hrs. It would be better if they didn't have so much construction going on.

Comment

I had fun dancing in that women's fancy feather contest!!! Danced a warm-up song for 2 push-ups, then 2 full contest songs. Picked 5 finalists then we danced a shake song. I liked it because they used mostly older powwow dancers, some old fancy dancers, to judge. I also had fun dancing in the fancy shawl contest Sat nite...FINALLY a contest with NO DOUBLE BEATS!!! We got a fast crow hop which was a really nice change from all the songs I've been getting this summer so far...lol.

Comment

You all did well, it was the highlight. The whole pow wow was well done.

One of the people who was in our group suggested that they do something with lights, turn the lights out in the stands, and highlight the dancers. I don't know if that would work better or not, I've never seen that done.

Comment

Tulsa Powwow 2009

Did anybody show up at the "Rockhouse" for the "9"", eh!?

Comment

Oops, s'cuse me. There are two similar Pow Wows in Tulsa. The Intertribal Indian Club Pow Wow, and then there is the Tulsa Indian Club Pow Wow.

The Tulsa Intertribal Indian Club Pow Wow is in August, 2009, 21st, 22nd, and 23rd. We will be attending that one, also. If we can ever figure out where it is to be held, it's either at the Fairgrounds or at Jenks. There are two locations listed on the internet. I've emailed them to see if they can narrow it down for me, I think I've got it down to the right State, now I'm working on which City. I'm pretty sure it will be in the Tulsa area someplace. I'd hate to go someplace and be sitting in an empty arena for 3 days.

Comment

Originally posted by gtbdave View Post
                  Oops, s'cuse me. There are two similar Pow Wows in Tulsa. The Intertribal Indian Club Pow Wow, and then there is the Tulsa Indian Club Pow Wow.

The Tulsa Intertribal Indian Club Pow Wow is in August, 2009, 21st, 22nd, and 23rd. We will be attending that one, also. If we can ever figure out where it is to be held, it's either at the Fairgrounds or at Jenks. There are two locations listed on the internet. I've emailed them to see if they can narrow it down for me, I think I've got it down to the right State, now I'm working on which City. I'm pretty sure it will be in the Tulsa area someplace. I'd hate to go someplace and be sitting in an empty arena for 3 days.

You could go sit at the RockHouse....

Comment

Last edited by lbgood; 09-14-2009, 09:08 PM.

Comment

this year iicot will be at

HISTORIC PERRYMAN RANCH
                      Between 111th and 112th on Elwood
                      Turn at the White Buffalo
                      1154 SOUTH ELWOOD AVE
                      JENKS, OKLAHOMA

Intertribal Indian Club of Tulsa for more info.

Comment

It was mentioned earlier about a low point being the long invocation. It was one of the high points for me. The elder that spoke indicated himself as one of the oldest of the Awn-goo family, eloquently prayed over everyone present and even spoke of the dances' earlier history.

Grand Entry was nice and the singing was good. One thing I did go BUH at was paying 4 bucks for my pop, but on the flip side the O's were nice.

Oh, and the only obviously taboo occurence that I heard was the lady talking nonstop during the invocation. And I mean NON STOP. She wouldn't shut up! I was breaking my neck looking for a grandma so I could tell on her. aye.

Comment

Tulsa Powwow Invocation

Well my question is what's wrong with prayer/invocation? By all means we need prayer even if it was long, that shouldn't even be a issue but a must at all of our dances.

If it was the oldest of the Aunquoe Family by all rights that's what the Kiowa's call Kyat-thy-gyah! Good!

I think from memory that Saygee Truman's the oldest of the children of Jimmy and Anna Keahbone Aunquoe. And he is a ordained Baptist minister. So give respect to our Kiowa Elder's, there's not to many that we have anymore that really speak Kiowa fluently!...Ah-hoe!

Now you may post comments, arguments, apologies, corrections, and all the know it alls!! And Oh,yeah the Critics! Aw-kgah! Zame-they! Een'-haw!

Comment

Originally posted by handgame_native View Post
                            It was mentioned earlier about a low point being the long invocation. It was one of the high points for me. The elder that spoke indicated himself as one of the oldest of the Awn-goo family, eloquently prayed over everyone present and even spoke of the dances' earlier history.

Grand Entry was nice and the singing was good. One thing I did go BUH at was paying 4 bucks for my pop, but on the flip side the O's were nice.

Oh, and the only obviously taboo occurence that I heard was the lady talking nonstop during the invocation. And I mean NON STOP. She wouldn't shut up! I was breaking my neck looking for a grandma so I could tell on her. aye.
                            LMAO!!! That would have been worth the $4 pop if you would have found one...
                            Last edited by kiyaanii mom; 07-23-2009, 11:48 AM.

Comment

I think a good invocation should last no more than 5 minutes. Figure if you want to go to church, there are places for that. Of course they shouldn't describe people as being in "costume" if it offends people. If it's acceptable to say they are in "costume" then so be it. Offending people may be the highlight for some.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X