just came back from stanford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just came back from stanford

being the 6th biggest i kinda expected it to be bigger......but i was not disappointed, i had alot of fun

well....maybe a little disappointed.....doesnt anyone take their hand drums camping anymore?.....no 49 at all whatsoever.....and it aint just in CA or CO, its been quite a few powwows i been to over last few years.....i guess i was listening to too much ronnie hudson "california knows how to party" on the old school station

met some nice people, only saw a few hobbiests.....i thought california would be full of those people

of course the aztecs had dance on saturday.....to me that stinks up powwows......in my opinion they are hobbiests too, only no one knows enough about neo-mexican culture and their pseudo-history they hide behind to call them out on it, besides i think most real ndn's look at the color of their skin and either give them the benefit of the doubt or give them a pass.......but its a good time to go buy a mutton sangwich or some frybread and visit the porta-potty...........the only 2 times i seen neo-"hollywood aztecs" in grand entry was in cali.....oh well the wannabe aztec chick with pink hair was nice to look at.....i did see some tall black guy dancing and was in some kind of fringey regalia i did not recognize..he was getting stopped by alot of college kids wanting to take his picture......and i didnt see ghostie there

buck wyld tore it up.....so did omaha white tail and iron horse........actually all the drums kicked booty.......well except that boring aztec drum during the exhibition

my nephew goes to stanford and is on the powwow committee there......so we hung out..and saturday morning i took some of my mom's ashes to pigeon point (i was born there when my dad was stationed in the coast guard)...visited the vendors....i even bought an official powwow shirt and i dont wear stuff like that very often

during sunday, mother's day a very nice round dance was played....actually very powerful considering i recently lost my mother, the participation was enormous.....making it the highlight of my weekend

all in all i will probably be back....if i gotta go visit my nephew it might as well be during pow-wow right?
    "I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR

oh.....and i cant forget the ironman !!!!!!!!!!
    "I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR

Comment

I was there for Sunday afternoon only, with one of my daughters.

We hung out with the outstanding sound man D.B.

I ran one video camera for a while, and popped some photos, then met up with some friends, etc

Got a good coating of Stanford dirt, just in those few hours.
      sigpic

Comment

If you're gonna talk about a powwow...post the contest winners. lol

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
          If you're gonna talk about a powwow...post the contest winners. lol
          Midnight Express 1st Place, who else?
          they got whistled on their last inter-tribal

Red Arrow 2nd
          Mighty Arrows 3rd
          Iron Horse 4th

Hand Drum Winner-Take-All was Pearson Tahuka, who was singing with MNX

Did not get dance winners...not event the Ironman! sheeeesh
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post

Red Arrow 2nd
            Mighty Arrows 3rd
            Iron Horse 4th

Iz ok. You just keep taking those awesome videos n photos!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Red Arrow 2nd
              Mighty Arrows 3rd
              Iron Horse 4th

Iron Man = Quanah Henry

Comment

i lost one of my "workhorse" wireless microphones that I have available for the MCs. in all the chaos towards the end after the winners were announced and the last song rendered, the mic never made it back to my station.

we looked all around and it was nowhere to be found. i finally left feeling like i left a part of me behind. i had that particular mic for years and years and the voices of many outstanding MCs have been transmitted through it as well as many American Indian Languages from the west coast to western NY.

now i need to take time to find appropriate replacements since the Sennheiser G2 series are no longer available. the part i need is an A band plug-on transmitter. the actual microphone is easily replaceable.

Comment

Originally posted by xTekno View Post
                  i lost one of my "workhorse" wireless microphones that I have available for the MCs. in all the chaos towards the end after the winners were announced and the last song rendered, the mic never made it back to my station.

we looked all around and it was nowhere to be found. i finally left feeling like i left a part of me behind. i had that particular mic for years and years and the voices of many outstanding MCs have been transmitted through it as well as many American Indian Languages from the west coast to western NY.

now i need to take time to find appropriate replacements since the Sennheiser G2 series are no longer available. the part i need is an A band plug-on transmitter. the actual microphone is easily replaceable.
                  Thats a sad story - one that I can relate to as well. Lost a few good Sennheiser G3s over the years to speakers rushing out the door following a speech without dropping off the mic pack to the person running the audio. BTW have you heard that the FCC is taking away the 600MHz bands starting next year?
                  CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
                  sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
                    Thats a sad story - one that I can relate to as well. Lost a few good Sennheiser G3s over the years to speakers rushing out the door following a speech without dropping off the mic pack to the person running the audio. BTW have you heard that the FCC is taking away the 600MHz bands starting next year?
                    i have to look at it from another perspective as well, so i am not too depressed about it. what happened sunday is long gone and the only way forward is to move on.

oh no! not again! the fcc takeover of the 700MHz band made eight of my wireless systems useless. i gave away two and will probably give away another two (for use on the rez).

in the meantime, i am building up a new lineup of G3 wireless systems but i now need to check what bands they are (i know four are on "A" and the others may be on the 600Mhz band!! Darn!!

Comment

Darn Incentive Auctions!!

Comment

Originally posted by milehighsalute View Post
                        being the 6th biggest i kinda expected it to be bigger......but i was not disappointed, i had alot of fun

well....maybe a little disappointed.....doesnt anyone take their hand drums camping anymore?.....no 49 at all whatsoever.....and it aint just in CA or CO, its been quite a few powwows i been to over last few years.....i guess i was listening to too much ronnie hudson "california knows how to party" on the old school station

met some nice people, only saw a few hobbiests.....i thought california would be full of those people

of course the aztecs had dance on saturday.....to me that stinks up powwows......in my opinion they are hobbiests too, only no one knows enough about neo-mexican culture and their pseudo-history they hide behind to call them out on it, besides i think most real ndn's look at the color of their skin and either give them the benefit of the doubt or give them a pass.......but its a good time to go buy a mutton sangwich or some frybread and visit the porta-potty...........the only 2 times i seen neo-"hollywood aztecs" in grand entry was in cali.....oh well the wannabe aztec chick with pink hair was nice to look at.....i did see some tall black guy dancing and was in some kind of fringey regalia i did not recognize..he was getting stopped by alot of college kids wanting to take his picture......and i didnt see ghostie there

buck wyld tore it up.....so did omaha white tail and iron horse........actually all the drums kicked booty.......well except that boring aztec drum during the exhibition

my nephew goes to stanford and is on the powwow committee there......so we hung out..and saturday morning i took some of my mom's ashes to pigeon point (i was born there when my dad was stationed in the coast guard)...visited the vendors....i even bought an official powwow shirt and i dont wear stuff like that very often

during sunday, mother's day a very nice round dance was played....actually very powerful considering i recently lost my mother, the participation was enormous.....making it the highlight of my weekend

all in all i will probably be back....if i gotta go visit my nephew it might as well be during pow-wow right?
                        I don't know what you have against the Aztecs, but I look forward to their time slot every year. There is also a time slot for the students to showcase their Hawaiian dances as well, but obviously, you weren't around for that so that you can bash them too.

One has to understand that the Eucalyptus Grove is located on the Stanford University grounds and the students work hard to maintain a close working relationship with the University in order to keep the annual gathering going on a continual basis. This would rule out any nocturnal activities beyond 10 PM and that includes '49s.

Yes, of course, you can expect the most unusual people to come out to any American Indian event anywhere in the continental U.S. and Stanford Powwow has it's usual lineup of characters that come out as participants (vendors, dancers and spectators).

I do agree that the number of registered dancers and the number of drum groups in the singing contest have been dwindling over the past five years, but the students do the best they can in spite of all the finals and other school activities that they have to complete before the end of the semester.

I definitely will return every year until I can't go because of reasons beyond my control.

Comment

I can stop by the Carvin Showroom, ask Flock about this Transmitter.

At Stanford, when you where across the arena, Tom brought over a mike and stuck it into a crate, or box...I think it had yellow or orange tape on it.

???
                          sigpic

Comment

I can stop by the Carvin Showroom, ask Flock about this Transmitter.

At Stanford, when you where across the arena, Tom brought over a mike and stuck it into a crate, or box...I think it had yellow or orange tape on it.

???
                            Yeah, I got that one with the yellow tape which Tom was using. The one missing had a white wrap on it.

I searched on ebay.com and found several G2 plug-on transmitters, but most were in very used conditions with lots of nicks and scratches. However, I did find one in excellent condition for $199.00 with free shipping. The new ones for G3 models run for $299.00.

Comment

Yeah, I got that one with the yellow tape which Tom was using. The one missing had a white wrap on it.

I searched on ebay.com and found several G2 plug-on transmitters, but most were in very used conditions with lots of nicks and scratches. However, I did find one in excellent condition for $199.00 with free shipping. The new ones for G3 models run for $299.00.
                              Okay, I'll call up Mr. Flock at Carvin tomorrow, see what he got.

Dang wild fires are just north of there. Fire sale? G2 Aband plug-on, got it!
                              sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.