No announcement yet.

Upper Mattaponi 2016, King William, Va.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Mattaponi 2016, King William, Va.

Did the Upper Mattaponi for the 2nd time last weekend. 29th annual this year, so it's a well established pow wow. Smaller dancer turnout this year, smaller trader's village than last year. I was told that 3 years ago, Dennis Zotigh was the MC and there were several times more dancers than the past 2 years. '15 and '16 had the same lady MC, I don't remember her name.

This year and last, long time repeat vendors to this event told me that it was much smaller than it had been in years past. I wonder if pow wow attendance overall is getting to be less. People have less money to spend, for sure. Travel costs a lot. Last year I met a few people from western tribes; an Oglala Lakota from Pine Ridge, a Navajo from The Big Rez, an Apache from a rez in AZ, a few other people from west of here. This year I only saw the Apache man. No other people from out west.

Anybody else go the the Upper Mattaponi Pow Wow this year?

I missed Upper Mattaponi this year. Which drums were present? I think Stoney Creek was supposed to be there and a few others. Heard a lot of Haliwa-Saponi were there too.

Comment

Sorry, I don't know what drums were there. The way they lay it out, vendors don't have much of a view. I couldn't hear the drums, just the annoying voice of that MC. A few Haliwa-Saponi that I know were there, several of my cousins showed and repeat customers of mine from various pow wows were there. No idea who danced or anything much else. I was there to vend.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X