Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHO's YOUR FAVORITE Female SMOKE DANCER ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHO's YOUR FAVORITE Female SMOKE DANCER ???

WHO's YOUR FAVORITE (Female) SMOKE DANCER ???

lets hear it people! you've watched smoke dance all year long! now lets hear some of your smoke dance stories for FEMALE SMOKE DANCE! Golden Age, Womens, Teens, Junior Girls! Ur Call
    Last edited by george_washington; 11-12-2007, 01:15 AM. Reason: forgot golden age. sorry ladies

Alright I'll tell you

GA: "Em" skye 6 nations
    Women: Keona Dowdy allegany
    Teen: Brooke Kennedy allegany <--very smooth, she moves to women's now
    girls: Sada Logan tonawanda

In women's it was hard to name 1 favorite as i like the way a few of them dance.

As for stories, I am a non-smoker. lol. I do have stories of others, but that would be like trade secrets. lol
    onodowa'ga:' gal

Comment

I like to watch:

Teesha Emarthle
      Lisa Jonathan and
      Valerie Parker
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Val Parker hands down

Comment

The only female smoke dancer that I can think of is Naomi Powles.

Comment

Gotta be.. Teesha Emarthle...
            "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

Comment

Golden Age: Em Skye & Clayton Logan
              Men: Cam Hill, Lyle Anderson, Jordan Smith
              Women: Too many to name
              Teen boys: Tony Johnson

Comment

Are there any smoke dance competitions in the Spring time?

What do Haudenosaunee elders think of competition and smoke dancing?
                Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

MOPHEAD! You know who you are!!!
                  ..::First ever 2002-2003 Powwows.com Princess::..
                  ~*~*~* The original POWWOWCHIC49 *~*~*~
                  *~*JINGLE IT*~*

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
                    Are there any smoke dance competitions in the Spring time?

What do Haudenosaunee elders think of competition and smoke dancing?
                    There was a smoke dance contest hosted by Cornell University last weekend.

I heard there are two upcoming contests on May 10 and May 13.

May 10 -Niagara Falls, NY

May 13 - Not quite sure.

If anybody else knows for sure, please feel free to add or correct.

As for what our elders think.... Well it depends on who you speak to. There are those that are very much opposed to the whole contest thing and particularly the women participating.

For one thing, contest does not promote healthy relationships. They tend to create jealousy, envy, ego and other negative feelings. Another is that we are supposed to behave in a humble and respectful manner.

There are many who feel that women just plain should not be dancing the smoke dance for a couple of reasons.

1. Women are very powerful. They are not supposed to raise their feet and pound the earth with their feet.
                    2.My understanding of one of the origins of the smoke dance is that it comes from the old war dances. The songs have been changed and the tempo has sped up, but that is where these dances come from. Women are not supposed to have anything to do with warfare. By doing so, they could injure themselves and/or their unborn.

Our war dances are ceremonial dances that is closed to the public. However, there were some people that felt they should demonstrate what these dances look like for educational purposes.

When I was growing up that is how I viewed these dances. The smoke dance was strictly used for demonstration purposes. Sometimes they had competition at some of the local county and State fair/festivals. They really didn't mean anything with prize money $50-$100 for first.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.