Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wowzie I dont like this color

Hello to all...
    Last year I decided to leave the cloth dress and go buckskin, my father in law decided he would get all my skins for my dress and he purchased four buckskins, (one hint in life, never let your white father in law buy your skins, because then he picks the color!) I promised that I would make my dress with the skins he purchased, and then turned my attention on how to change the color of the skins without him realizing it...

The color of these skins was a tanish color, I figured out how to lighten the color but I still dont care for it much, then the unexpected happened..

While taking my daughter to a casting call for a movie that will filmed near our home town, I was picked to be in it.... my role? I am playing an Indian woman (chuckle) the movie is set in the 1870's so I thought it was perfect for my skins that I got for this dress....

Recently at a larger powwow, I noticed a lot of the gals are starting to wear darker skinned dresses... I prefer the light cream color, and love white but white is hard to keep white! Is the color style going a little darker or is it women such as myself who get stuck with a color they really dont want??

Also, with time being short on this dress, a lot of my beadwork is going to be loomed (groans) but I loom a lot faster than anything else!

If it's the golden tan; I don't blame you for not liking it. I do however prefer a light smoke or willow tanned hide to white hides. They did not have white/white hides back in the day. I like the more natural hides. For myself, 17 years ago I traded a extra large golden tanned elk hide my dad gave me for my graduation, for 3 nice deerhides between willow and brain tan color. I still wear the dress and have even changed it, but it still looks good and I'm happy with it.

Comment

Thankfully it is not one of those golden colors, I do not care for those either. I do not think I have seen a willow tan color. This one is tan, a light brown color that I really do not care for.

Comment

Originally posted by Keely
        Thankfully it is not one of those golden colors, I do not care for those either. I do not think I have seen a willow tan color. This one is tan, a light brown color that I really do not care for.

Have to say I am partial to the white bucksin!

Comment

I agree with Cisco Geek: white buckskin is the way to go. Granted it is a challenge to keep it that way!
          It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by trudanny
            I agree with Cisco Geek: white buckskin is the way to go. Granted it is a challenge to keep it that way!
            Ditto! I love the white buckskin too.

Comment

Keepin' Em' White....

As Far As Keeping Buckskin White-
              Try Using A Scrubber- Either A Small Scrub Brush Or Even A Little Plastic Chore-Boy Scrubber And Some Baby Powder Mixed w/ A Little Cornmeal... Scrub It In, Shake It Off And POOF! Magically White Again.

Comment

I dont like the golden tan either but you know what..This years Nooksack princess has a really nice golden buckskin. Im trying to remember how it looks, but it can look good. Didnt look like a wannabe one or anything.
                (¯`·._.·`*CeDaR RoSe*`·._.·´¯)

Comment

im definantly into the white hide vs. the brown. I saw a couple of dresses last summer that had nice beadwork, but is seems like the brown hides (for lack of a better word) downgrade the whole dress. I look at it like if yer gonna put that much time and $$$ into something, why not go all out? The only time I use golden hide on anything is when the beadwork is white (so it stands out), or unless you wanna keep it REALLY traditional. Dang keely, dunno what to say- cept be glad he didn't get u the turquoise blue hides- :)
                  Getting the movie part is pretty kewl too- you'll have to let us know when it comes out!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X