Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference

Hey there!

So could anyone please explain me, what are the differences between southern and northern style??
    I know from another thread that the fully beaded yokes are northern style and that the southern style has beaded straps on the shoulders.

BUT

are there any other differences??

Thx

:D
    Join my FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/NatamBeadwork

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!

Side-step is different, round dances are different, honor beats are different (how you dance to them that is)...that's all I can think of at the moment. Can someone help a sista out here???
    My tongue got wrapped around my eye teeth, and I couldn't see what I was saying...

Comment

Oh, Selina, not just beaded strips on the shoulders, but it's more of beaded accents all over (southern) rather than a fully beaded yoke (northern)
      My tongue got wrapped around my eye teeth, and I couldn't see what I was saying...

Comment

I think the most obvious is the type of dance, second only to style of dress.

Nothern dresses have fully beaded tops, long breastplates, very ornate not to mention beautiful. Music is faster and stronger as are dances. Some northern dance in place, bending at the knees, on their toes bouncing slightly, different round dance and different footwork.

These are the things that I notice. Southern is slow and graceful, northern is a little faster, just as graceful (when done right).

Comment

Originally posted by Ulinawi
          Side-step is different, round dances are different, honor beats are different (how you dance to them that is)...that's all I can think of at the moment. Can someone help a sista out here???
          sounds interesting, but how are the side-step, round dances and the honor beats different??

Could you be more specific??
          thx

Join my FB page:

Comment

Originally posted by Selina

sounds interesting, but how are the side-step, round dances and the honor beats different??

Could you be more specific??
            thx

The northern side-step is a faster step as opposed to a southern side-step (kinda a double-step) and you turn during the honor beats on the northern side-step.

The round dance is graceful, (this is the best way to explain it since I can't demonstrate it); right foot forward, kind of cross the left foot ; left foot forward (kind of even with the right); right foot back (cross behind your left foot); and then bring your left foot back beside it; and repeat all the way around the circle until the music stops. It's a really beautiful dance when you can get everyone coordinated....that's the "trick", so to speak

southern women bow at the waist honor on the honor beats [(I dance 4 steps in; and then 4 steps out), some dance 4 out and then 4 in] while northern honor beats, you raise your fan in the air for the honor beats......

I think I typed this right, I'm sure someone will correct me if not. I hope this helps to give you a better visual of what I had posted earlier.

Comment

That's what I was going to mention, too........is that southern dancers bow at the waist on honor beats, where northern dancers raise their fans.

I notice, too that quite a few southern dancers wear crowns. I don't see that so much with northern dancers.

Comment

thanks people for your input!
                Join my FB page:

Comment

Selina, my best friend was from Idaho, Northern country. She is a traditional dancer, her outfit was a cloth dress with elk teeth on it. She also wore a concho belt and I believe canvas all-in-one-leggings. It was not beadwork intensive. (BTW) She used to hate to dance to southern songs.

She used to always say they had an extra beat that she usually missed unless she was really paying attention. ??

As far as someone said about crowns, I haven't noticed that much up this way. If the dancers are royalty, then they have crowns. :) Selina, I would love to see a picture of a crown that you beaded, do you have one? I'd also be very interested in seeing how you would go about doing it, base, materials, stitch, beads, ie. I've subscribed (practically) to your website and am your unrelenting protege'! :D
                  :p cool indin woman :p

Comment

I didn't make a crown so far.
                    But I am very glad to help you with my website!
                    That's what I intended!!
                    To write down my experiences during learning how to bead.
                    And as soon as I learn more (e.g. peyote stitch...) I'll put it on the site!
                    It is a growing project!
                    CU
                    Join my FB page:

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X