Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to Dance Northern Traditional, but need some info!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to Dance Northern Traditional, but need some info!!

Im interested in dancing northern traditional, I know the stories and the legends, But I need some help making my regalia. Perhaps starting with a cloth style would be better. Please contact me with some helpful hints.

Miigwech
    undefined
    One Women. One Mind. One Vision.

I'm assuming you are wanting to switch from Jingle dancing? I definately would make a cloth dress first, and get started dancing with that to see if you really like ladies tradish. My daughter finds it to be too slow for her; and has had a hard time switching from fancy dancing. If you feel you like it; then invest your time and money into a buckskin dress with beaded yoke. I had traditional cloth dresses up until I was 16 years old. After that my granny let me borrow a buckskin, and then when I graduated from high-school I made my own deerhide dress, which I have changed, but still have and use.

Comment

Information Give

Thanks WocusWomen for the information. It has inspired a few thoughts that I have now taken into consideration. Im wondering how much material Im going to need for starting? Would you have any more adivice to that?
      undefined

Comment

I made my last cloth dress out of less than 4 yards; I used my quilting and applique skills in adding designs onto the dress. I used coordinating fabrics and ribbon also to make it look a lot more colorful and interesting. If you already own a good shawl, I would consider trying to match your new dress to that; if not you'll need to get additional fabric to make a matching shawl.

Comment

Good responses WW

I also suggest that you ask some of your Anishinaabe sisters because I know a lot of them that dance women's traditional at powwows. There are some very good powwows over your way and some friendly people.

Comment

Hi ojibwayjingle85,

I also recommend, that when you make your accessories (hairties, belt etc.) and you start with cloth, consider a design you really love.
            Then you can make a buckskin dress to fit this design and can save time and money.
            Join my FB page:
            https://www.facebook.com/#!/NatamBeadwork

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!

Comment

yeah. I've been dancing cloth for about six years now. Actually thinkin about moving onto buckskin. But if you need any help. Just ask. Or im me. what ever. I'm here all the time. And im more than willing to help a sista out. Sometimes it can get a little confusing. ya knoe.
              blah blah blah....

Comment

Im stuck on my cape

Okay Ladies, Im stuck on my cape... I have a design ready to put on it, But I need to know how I make the cape..
                Is is just a GIANT Rectangle to my fitting , or is there a more of a shape to it?

Write me back ladies...
                undefined

Comment

The cape can be any shape you like. I suggest cutting the shape you want out of an inexpensive piece of cloth to try out and get the size etc right. You can then use this as a pattern.

Comment

I would suggest that you draw out your pattern on a paper bag, or some other piece of paper, then you could cut it, and not have to worry about any mistakes, untill you the shape/style you are looking for.

Also you may want to check your nations photographs, which may or may not be in the archives, and go that route, to get an idea of the style from your people if that is what you are looking for.

Comment

Information Given

Thanks alot Ladies...

Its all starting to come together now. It has helped me alot.

Now...Some one told me for cheep fringe, to use vineyl? White stuff? LOL

Any hints?
                      undefined

Comment

I have seen the vinyl used for fringes. It looked ok from a distance. It was the upholstery vinyl that you can get at walmart. It was a light cream color. The weight was good so the fringes sway nicely. Narrow satin ribbon looks nice but is too light to get the fringes really snapping. I have seen ultra suede used too. It looked very close to white deer hide- even up close- But it was also too light to get the fringes to snap. I think there is no really good substitute for good ol deer hide.

Comment

NO PLEASE, Do not use vinyl, it looks like well,"vinyl!" If your gonna take the time on a northern cape with beading and everything, use hide, at very least for the fringes.

Comment

Well, the reason I was asking about vynel was for a few good reasons. Im from northern ontario, not really able to access good flashy material. Its hot here. lol.. and Ive dont have lots of money to spend on regalia at the moment...
                            But thanks Wocus Women for the advice anyway...

Keep em comming ladies
                            undefined

Comment

N. Style

As the previous ladies suggested, it does look better w/ buckskin hide. But it really all depends on what style of dance your going to dance too! Are you going to dance sioux style (stationary) or N. graceful/shuffle style. I am from the northwest so we dance around the arena to show our style. To fringe your top it depends if your going ot do only the ends or all the way around. The ends could take from 2-3 hides to fringe. Well good luck on your dress and see u out on the powwow trail!
                              Last edited by ndngirl_19; 02-20-2005, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.