Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shawl materials

Hey there!

What kinds of fabric do you use for your shawl?
    And what about the fringes??
    Could you help me on this one??
    Please, any input would be appreciated!
    Join my FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/NatamBeadwork

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!

I usually use gabardine (I think that's what it's called), or material that is close to that. What I look for in a fabric is something that won't wrinkle to easily. The applique work usually adheres well to this type of fabric. As for fringing, I've the braided fringe, or flat fringe. I've also used ribbons.
    Wiky Chick

Comment

Shawls

:) I have seen many different shawls, From cotton to wool, gaberdine, and satin. They used fringe short or long, ribbins, and just plain, one lady just carried what looked like a lace table cloth for her shawl. I started out with a lace shawl my husband bought me, and now have a cotton woven one, but contantly looking at others too. I have one in mind, with a Hummingbird on it, I just haven't made up my mind, ribbons, or fringe, do I handpaint it, or creul embrodier it, or really cheat, and do as I saw one done with an eagle iron on, then painted, that turned out really pretty, but at the same time, almost tacky too! I have a personal problem with seeing the sateen ones, and the metallic ones, but that is up to the individual.
      Your Heart Shows by how Your Words and Actions Affect Others.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!

Comment

I have used not only lightweight cotton fabrics but also lightweight woolens....The cotton fabrics I have fringed with 14" braided fringe and the woollens with ribbons. I have appliqued sheilds on the cottons and also done satin stitched embroidery on some of the shawls.
        May the Spirits grant you healling,protection, wisdom and guidance.

Comment

I use gabridine or a double knit. We also use the banded broadcloth. I usually use chainette fring (14-18") or thin ribbon. I applique, apply ribbonwork or bead a design. Have never used an iron on patch or painted one.

Comment

I like the flashier the better. Satin ribbonwork really catches my eye. Even as a buckskin dancer I like to feel that my outfit sparkles in the light. A bright eye-catching shawl sure helps catch the judges' eye when your coming around the horn. I also believe a woman needs more than one shawl. Sure, make your dream shawl, but why have a shabby one until you get it? As I once heard in a movie, "Just because you're poor, doesn't mean you have to dress poor."
            Last edited by Ehosah; 08-21-2002, 04:50 AM.
            E

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X