I Want One!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Want One!!!

:Cry Can someone tell me where I can find, well, "Patterns" for a buckskin dress? The beadwork and moccasins I can handle, but I need to know how much leather Ill need. I want tanned hide, not white. AND is the fringe seperate or just right on there? like, one big whammy project?How many pieces are there?:Cry Im sooo confused!:p

thanks for the suggestions
    ..::First ever 2002-2003 Powwows.com Princess::..
    ~*~*~* The original POWWOWCHIC49 *~*~*~
    *~*JINGLE IT*~*

http://www.crazycrow.com

Alot of times you can find them at Pow Wows, believe it or not, I found some patterns at Pow Wows cheaper than any of the stores in Cherokee NC!!
    Your Heart Shows by how Your Words and Actions Affect Others.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!

Comment

Buckskin Dress

Go to Crazy Crow for pattern...they are cheaper..thats where I got mine.
      And it takes 3 good size hides.....
      Someone told me to use pig hide because it breathes better..so that is what I am about to start cutting mine out of.

Good luck on making yours.I know I need luck on mine:D
      wado
      Lightening Woman

Comment

Missouri River makes a good one (for southern style) Depends on what style of dress too, they are made different. As far as hides goes, ive heard up to 6 hides, 3-4 for the dress itself, 2 for skirt, front and back, then if your lucky enough to find a large one in good shape you might be able to make your top out of just one, if not then you have to do front and back again, youll need at least one hide just for the fringes, depending on how long you want them..and yes, they are cut individually..takes alot of time and work, but its worth it in the end. Hope this helps ya, good luck. ;)

Comment

White hides are tanned hides. You do not want the dark brown, black or other colors. Hides are usually white when tanned then they are smoke to give the light brown color. These hides to breath.

There are commercial hides and brain tanned. Brain tanned hides are white till smoked or dyed.
          Commercial hides are any color you want. Commercial hides do not generally breath.

tipis

Comment

I have 12 deer hides I have been saving for a couple of years now that I will eventually tan myself. I had planned on using them to make my dress..but in the meantime I will try and make one out of the pig hides I had gotten that where a good deal..so I guess I won't feel so bad if I where to mess up.
            At I pow wow I just held a gentleman hand made a scraper to fit my hand and gifted it to me...I guess I don't have anyother excusses on not getting started on those hides...:Angel:
            wado
            Lightening Woman

Comment

HOLAH!

six hides! Damn! Thats alot of work.
              Pig skinz huh? Hmmmm.?

What skin would you suggest for what?
              Pig for the top and deer skin for the bottom?
              *~*JINGLE IT*~*

Comment

Where did you get pig skin hides from? Did you order them or pick them up from a powwow? If you ordered them where from b/c they sound like a cheap alternative to deerskins.

Thanks for any help.
                I am the rocks of the Eternal shores crash against me and be Broken!

Comment

I was set up at a flea market one weekend and a guy with a trailer full of furs and hides came and asked if I needed some.
                  He sets up once a month at the Nashville Flea Market...He carries all types of hides and most of the hide colors are consistant. I managed to pull out 3 large pig hides of the same color.
                  wado
                  Lightening Woman

Comment

I typically use about 5 hides....I'm just a skinny little chick too. I use two on the "skirt" portion and one for each sleeve (I use fabric for the "yoke/shirt" part), then another for mocs, leggings, purses...

That's just my general use of leather.
                    :)

Comment

If you use pigskin, would it still be a buckskin dress?

Why don't you really save money and use that ultra-suede material from Wal-Mart?
                      E

Comment

Well....

Right about now i am getting a southern Bucksin outift made. I had too buy 7 pieces. It is deer skin though, it should be done in a couple of weeks. I can't wait!!!
                        '*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,
                        SOUTHERN STYOZ
                        '*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,

Comment

Sure would be nice....

Well since i have a whole bunch of time on my hands I think im gonna take this time to sit down and concentrate on this making a dress. Imma have to really watch my moods, though, I dont wanna be making no angry dress...

Hmmmmmm.... Where o Where do I start?
                          *~*JINGLE IT*~*

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X