Who all dances Buckskin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who all dances Buckskin?

Who on here dances buckskin and what style is your dress? Who did it? Who did your beadwork. If your proud of your dress.........now's the time to sound off! ;)
    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

I dance buckskin; always have, since I was about 4yrs. old. I made my first buckskin dress myself when I was 17 yrs old, out of 3 deerhides I acquired from my dad as a graduation gift. My mom and I have both done beading on the top of the dress. I have taken my dress totally apart 3 times and changed it's overall look. I love my dress because I've had to work on it myself, and everthing I've ever done to it has a special meaning behind it. BTW, I have a daughter now that is taller than me and I made her, her first "lady size" buckskin this past year. She loves it; and I'm hoping it will fit her awhile longer. I hope when she gets a little older; she will be inspired to start making her own regalia too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mato Winyan
      Who on here dances buckskin and what style is your dress? Who did it? Who did your beadwork. If your proud of your dress.........now's the time to sound off! ;)
      Last edited by Kakeeya; 12-05-2005, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I dance buckskin, I made my first beaded outfit when I was a senior in high school. My cousin had a picture of it in the gallery. Right now I am working on my grand mother''s outfit, She gave me my feathers, so I told her that I would bead her a top. three years later, I am still working on it, since I am going to college and have to work plus a daughter, that leaves a little time to bead.

Comment

I beaded all the accessories for my southern styo buckskin 3 years ago. I didnt know how to bead on leather yet, so we had someone put it together, and do the basic beading. I've been waiting about 2.5 years for it, they've given me grief, lied to my face, and alot of other stuff. So i decided to take her behind to court last month, and if she contested to my complaint, she was given 30 days to respond, so, i got a letter on saturday n the mail, and she told the court she sent it in the mail on Friday, so im expecting it today or tomarrow. Its kinda sad, because that was supposed to be a gift from my parents for my graduation, but she kept on holding back.

We were supposed to have a special at San Carlos Veterans pow-wow when i first got it, but now, i think we are going to just have a private one, cause her hubby had already thrown bad thoughts my way when i went over there one time....ohhhh i cant wait to get it!
          '*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,
          SOUTHERN STYOZ
          '*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,

Comment

I've danced buckskin in my teen days. My Great grandmother made the dress, my mom did the beading on the dress and I did the rest. My sis is out there with it now. my beadwork is white. I m helping her make her a buckskin dress. And I'm working on my new stuff also.

Comment

Originally posted by oOoSouthernStyozoOo
              I beaded all the accessories for my southern styo buckskin 3 years ago. I didnt know how to bead on leather yet, so we had someone put it together, and do the basic beading. I've been waiting about 2.5 years for it, they've given me grief, lied to my face, and alot of other stuff. So i decided to take her behind to court last month, and if she contested to my complaint, she was given 30 days to respond, so, i got a letter on saturday n the mail, and she told the court she sent it in the mail on Friday, so im expecting it today or tomarrow. Its kinda sad, because that was supposed to be a gift from my parents for my graduation, but she kept on holding back.

We were supposed to have a special at San Carlos Veterans pow-wow when i first got it, but now, i think we are going to just have a private one, cause her hubby had already thrown bad thoughts my way when i went over there one time....ohhhh i cant wait to get it!
              So did you get your dress??? I sure hope so.
              "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

I dance Buckskin, Southern. Sometimes I contest, depends on my mood. I just started my first attempt at making a buckskin but its the "small" version, for my beautiful Granddaughter. Its about half done and if I don't quite procrastinating, she will be too big for it. I'm good at sewing, lousy at beadwork, I get tired of doing it too quick. My buckskin was made by a friend, its old style and I always look like I got a short buckskin, but these contest buckskins practically touch the ground nowdays! But once I finish my granddaughters, I'll attempt at an adult buckskin.

Comment

Yes i did, i was dissapointed with it, there was only 6 lines of beads on it, so put a visual on that..lol. But it took me one month to take all those beads off (cause she didnt use the ones i gave her, and not the right colors) and add more lines, and put more glass fire polish beads on it, cause she used plastic, and even made the big beaded peices, all in one month, and it took her 3 years to do what i did, the long fringe for the dress and the rest of the dress was all practically 1/2 inch thick, and i sized those down too, and now im done adding more lines to the skirt for schemitz where ill where it for the 2nd time, so i cant wait, but still am making additions...thanks for your concern!~sw
                  SOUTHERN STYOZ

Comment

I've always been traditional/ buckskin. I Made a simple southern style elk skin for winter powwows becuase it is very heavy and hot. It has shells and isnt very good at all (like all my outfits) Im currently going to start a plateau style one with white elk or deerskin.

Comment

I dance Northern buckskin on occasion. My dress has a fully beaded top. A pic is in my member gallery. I made my entire outfit except for a couple pieces of quillwork I am working (very slowly) on a second fully beaded dress yoke to match my other set of beadwork.

Comment

I have my plateau style dress being beaded in size 8/0-10/0's. It is white buckskin and made with the lazy stitch and applique bead stitch. On top of that I am getting a basket hat, applique bag and eagle feather fan done.

Comment

I dance buckskin and cloth; though here in Minnesota both are often classified as "women's traditional". I have three buckskin dresses. Both are two piece - the top made of cloth with the long fringe hanging from the bottom of the sleeves. My skirts are floor length and suede in the same color as the fringe. One top is beaded at the sleeve edge; done by me --- it is the first top that I ever made. It also has bone tubes from which the fringe hangs. The other two tops have appliques and ribbonwork rather than beadwork.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X