Gift for Mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift for Mom

My mother is Lakota from SD living in western Washington. She is in the "golden age" working on an outfit to dance Women's Tradish and I have a question about women's headgear. I've seen a few of the elders wearing what looks kind of like a beaded "Fez". What is it actually called and what is its tribal origin? I am thinking of acquiring or making one for her as a gift.
    "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
    Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

It's a traditional part of regalia for Plateau and some NW coastal tribes - more specifically, Nez Perce, Yakama, Colville, Umatilla, Warm Springs, etc. They are normally called a basket cap, because the old-style ones are made out of the same materials as the old baskets or corn-husk bags. They are slightly conical with a flat top (like a fez), whereas more southern coastal people wore the bowl-shaped basket hats. They just started beading them in modern (post 1900) times. You still see them alot around here, and they have great "basket cap" specials at powwows in Washington and Oregon.

Comment

Pilameyo, Lightning Flash, for the response!

Basket Cap Specials? Are they usually done simply as part of the Womens' Traditional dance contests? I've only been powwow-going for three years now and I haven't noticed any specials for regalia at the ones that I've been to.
      "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
      Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

Comment

No, it's not part of the women's traditional contest. It's like any special - you'll only see one if someone has sponsored it in (usually) a family member's honor. It would be like a special contest, only for those women wearing the basket hats.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X