Apache Buckskin Dress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apache Buckskin Dress

Hi. I am hoping someone out there can help me. I am looking for a pattern for an apache buckskin dress or someone who knows how to make one. I think I could make one if I had the right instructions but if the price was right, I wouldn't mind buying one already made. I would do all the beadwork. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!

Lipan Lady (Betty):)

I've never seen a pattern for this type of dress but I can try to describe what I can. This dress is first worn at a girl's coming of age ceremony and was worn on special occasions after that until she got married. I don't know how strict a rule that is since I've seen married women wearing the dress also. Anyway, it is a 2-piece deal with a separate cape or poncho covering a long skirt. The cape is basically a big rectangle with a neck hole slit into it. At each corner hangs the actual or symbolic skin from the animal's legs. The cape sides are heavily fringed. The skirt is long with rows of fringe, tin cones and narrow bands of beadwork. Rows of tin cones decorate the cape also. The dress is usually worn with Apache high-top boot-mocs. All the buckskin is often dyed or colored yellow which represent corn pollen. The Apache have distinctive beadwork designs and colors and so I would recommend you study museum examples if possible. There are differences among the various bands also, some having more Plains influence than others, so definitely do some research. There are a couple books on the subject: The People Called Apache by Thomas Mails and Material Culture of the Western Apache-Goodwin Collection by an author I can't remember. Texas museums should have some Apache stuff since some groups did wander over that way historically. Hopefully, you'll be able to find someone who can help you out more than I. Good luck!

Comment

Apache buckskin dress

Hi, the Apache dresses don't have a pattern and there are people that do make them but the price usually isn't right. My buckskin was 500 for labor and probably 600 for the leather and beads. My dress looks like four rectangles sewn at the top edges for the shirt and the skirt is sewn along the long edge when the bead work was complete. If you have any other Q's let me know.

Comment

Man I know my buckskin outfit was charged a lot. But i love it, especially cuz it has green, white, yellow, and black beadwork, these are the colors that represent the directions in the White Mountain Apache way. Well like Czechy says, there are regional differences in Apache dress.
        Apache jump on it, jump on it, jump on it!!!!!

"Insert words of wisdom here"

Comment

Huummm......they don't have a specific patterns huh?. Well, they can be yellow, but they don't HAVE to be, my cuz (southern_apache_girl, umm dell is that you??) well hers is white, and very very nice. and they can be brown. It all depends on what you want or whatever, and every apache tribe have different ways of doing things, i think it was the jicarilla's (?) well their style is influenced from the southern plains..so you have to be able to know what style you want
          Last edited by oOoSouthernStyozoOo; 12-03-2002, 03:09 PM.
          '*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,
          SOUTHERN STYOZ
          '*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,

Comment

Apache Buckskin Dress

Thank you for all your help. I have been doing research for a while now and know what I want to do but just don't want to mess it up. I have the book THE PEOPLE CALLED APACHE,
            DANCING COLORS, and several other books which are very informative. I am Lipan Apache and we are close to Mescalero and Jicarilla Apaches as we are eastern Apaches. An elder from Mescalero told me that a married woman could wear the two piece dress as well. It is made similar to the coming of age dress but the meaning is different. By the way, I have been dancing for 31 years and wear an Apache camp dress or a T-dress at powwows. Again, thanks!

Comment

Hey kid,(sam) its me. You reminded me that I forgot to say the buckskin can be any color you want, as well as the beads. I hope you know what your doing with the dress.

Comment

Hey Lipan lady(Betty): Good to here from you. Our oldest daughter has a buckskin dress we made for her for her coming of age ceremony. She wore it until she could not fit into it anymore. We may be able to help you with a pattern if you wish. Give us a call and visit a minute.

Later.
                BOB

Comment

red paint

Originally posted by southern_apache_girl
                  Hi, the Apache dresses don't have a pattern and there are people that do make them but the price usually isn't right. My buckskin was 500 for labor and probably 600 for the leather and beads. My dress looks like four rectangles sewn at the top edges for the shirt and the skirt is sewn along the long edge when the bead work was complete. If you have any other Q's let me know.

Comment

red paint

you know it is really interesting to read your commence about apache dresses. maybe if you were able to make the dress yourself you would undersand the time and patience that goes into making a dress. the symbols, the simple designs, and cut have a purpose. but reading on i do understand you dont know what you are saying. the cost of a apache dress you quoted is a steal. just think the person who made your dress to her time away from her family, children, husband and social life just to make your dress. now put a price on that. by the way i make apache dresses myself. and you wouldn't be able to afford me.

Comment

Apache Moccasins

Originally posted by Shorty2008 View Post
                      you know it is really interesting to read your commence about apache dresses. maybe if you were able to make the dress yourself you would undersand the time and patience that goes into making a dress. the symbols, the simple designs, and cut have a purpose. but reading on i do understand you dont know what you are saying. the cost of a apache dress you quoted is a steal. just think the person who made your dress to her time away from her family, children, husband and social life just to make your dress. now put a price on that. by the way i make apache dresses myself. and you wouldn't be able to afford me.
                      Hello there shorty , do you also make the traditional apache style moccasins.
                      Those with the turned up toe guard . . Please reply . . . .

Comment

apache moccasins

Originally posted by Lipan Lady View Post
                        Hi. I am hoping someone out there can help me. I am looking for a pattern for an apache buckskin dress or someone who knows how to make one. I think I could make one if I had the right instructions but if the price was right, I wouldn't mind buying one already made. I would do all the beadwork. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!

Hello Lipan Lady . . did you ever learn to make the apache moccasins . . .

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X