X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singerdad
    replied
    Originally posted by wolfprincess
    Well, the powwow in jackson, mi went very well. The regalia that I had worked very hard on from the heart and knowledge that I had about the buckskin dress, it had alot of compliments on it, from native and non-native. I've been to many powwows in my life but I'm also only 21. I need to learn somehow and being part of the powwow committee that I belong to may help alot. I wish I could have a heart to heart mentor to teach me the ways. I need to learn. I only found out about my ancestory about 7to 9 years ago, and since I found out that I was an 8th Cherokee, I was proud of my native blood. So if you could help me, because I do need it. I would really appreciate it.
    Thanx,
    WhiteWolf
    You're not listening. These women have offered you advice, and in true hobbyist fashion, you don't listen. The lady who said you should have researched your outfit first was right on the money. How can anyone help you when you haven't said what style you're dancing? Cherokees didn't wear these dresses so to dance in one you'd have to be dancing another tribe's style and you'd need permission for that.

Leave a comment:

• KeenKiowaBabe4Ever
    replied
    dang

Alls I Have To Say Is Wow

Leave a comment:

• wolfprincess
    replied
    Well, the powwow in jackson, mi went very well. The regalia that I had worked very hard on from the heart and knowledge that I had about the buckskin dress, it had alot of compliments on it, from native and non-native. I've been to many powwows in my life but I'm also only 21. I need to learn somehow and being part of the powwow committee that I belong to may help alot. I wish I could have a heart to heart mentor to teach me the ways. I need to learn. I only found out about my ancestory about 7to 9 years ago, and since I found out that I was an 8th Cherokee, I was proud of my native blood. So if you could help me, because I do need it. I would really appreciate it.
    Thanx,
    WhiteWolf

Leave a comment:

• wolfprincess
    replied
    Well, the powwow went well, and the regalia I had worn had alot of compliments. By native and non-native. I worked very hard on what I had until the powwow and everything went very well. I would love it if I could have a mentor on native-powwow information so I can grow up with the info. You have to learn some how. I've been to many powwows and I'm part of a powwow committee in Michigan. I just wish someone would teach in the right direction instead of putting me down. Thats all.
    Thanx,
    Whitewolf

Leave a comment:

• WocusWoman
    replied
    Sounds to me like you jumped in over your head. Have you ever attended a powwow; do you know anything about your family or tribes history, do you have or know a native person that might be able to mentor you? Just because you went out and obtained the regalia; either by payment or your own talents, there should be substance behind it. Go to a few powwows; take along a shawl for intertribals, show respect for the dance and learn at a slow pace. Whether that be a few months or a few years, you'll know when the time is right to step into the circle.

Leave a comment:

• ccreek10
    replied
    I think that you should have done all your research before you even made your regalia. Is it a Northern or Southern style dress and do you have the right to wear this style? Just because it looks good doesn't make it right!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• wolfprincess
    started a topic Need help with buck skin information

Need help with buck skin information

Help! I'm very amature about the ladies buck skin dancing and I need to know all I can about it.I know to do is to learn but I don't want to make a fool of myself or be disrespectful.I have all my regalia made, but its the meaning and the dance itself that i really need to know.Anyone that is involved in the ladies buckskin dance, please help!
    \Whitewolf

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.