Northern Accessories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Accessories

What are the "typical" northern accessories that a lady would wear? I mean is there a belt, pouch et? hmmm! There are so many different cultures, and each has their own way of looking good:D Let me know what you would wear, or have seen as a northern traditional dancer:Chatter

I wear my beaded basket hat, otter skins, braidties, earrings, long breast-plate, antique tradebead necklace, wampum bracelet when I remember, my belt, sotello set, fan, shawl, large bag to carry, leggings and moccasins. I often forget something all the time, if I get too hot to wear my deerhide dress, I just wear all the above items with my cloth dress. Both dresses incorporate colors that easily blend with each other, so all my accesories match both dresses. I thought this was a good thread you started Riverwoman; sometimes people that may be new to buckskin dancing may need this kind of information to get started. Besides my hat; all the other items are pretty typical for Northern dancing.

Comment

I've been dancing since I was itty-bitty and its been the same for awhile: choker, necklaces, breastplate, belt, scarf, scarf-tie, earrings, otter wraps, hair-ties and then off of the belt, my pouch, knifecase, awl case and a couple of other drops. But thats the way I was told to dress so it does depend entirely on the tribe.

Comment

Are the accessories the same for northern and southern? Or do they differ from tribe to tribe?
        Fool me once, shame on u. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Comment

They generally differ; my accesories are northern, they are for the most part, fully beaded. You can usually tell northern and southern dancers apart easily. Also, the styles of dance are different; if your not sure how to tell dancers apart, just observe at some powwows.

Comment

when my ma used to dance tradish before her stroke she had dentillum shells on the her dress,long breast plate, full quilled boots,shawl,quilled purse,flat fan, quilled choker, small quilled basket earrings,quilled hair ties and barrettes, fox fur tails (i think they were fox i know they werent otter)she never believed in wearing medicine wheel hairties like ya see with so many other dancers these days..i know her last dress she put quill work on her dress...she also had a fully quilled yoke....i just remember alotta this stuff cuz i found her regailia when cleaning out the attic yesterday...we're boxing stuff so we can move...but she was always into more of quillwork instead of beadwork...probably cuz its alot easier..

Comment

with southern they move around alot more when they dance...plus southern they dont wear the fully beaded yokes and the southern dont keep their feet flat to the ground at all times...well i saw this southern dancer and she danced on her toes partially..plus with southern they bow away from the drum....im just curious by why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by powwow_chick
                I've been dancing since I was itty-bitty and its been the same for awhile: choker, necklaces, breastplate, belt, scarf, scarf-tie, earrings, otter wraps, hair-ties and then off of the belt, my pouch, knifecase, awl case and a couple of other drops. But thats the way I was told to dress so it does depend entirely on the tribe.
                Pretty much what I have been told as well, when I have asked those whom I have met along the trail:)

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X