Hide to Buckskin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hide to Buckskin

We just got our first hide, a whitetail doe. The hide has been skinned and we are currently soaking it in plain water. Can anyone tell me what I need to do now to turn this beautiful hide into a useful piece of buckskin to be used in regalia? Or can anyone point me in the right direction of where to go to get info. It currently has the fur on it. Do I de-fur it and if so is there anything I can do with the fur? Thanks for any and all help.
    Ellie

if its in water right now get it out roll it up (fold in thirds and roll) stick in a trash bag and put it in the freezer until you get the proper equipment to tan a hide....this way you don't lose your hide....lol....

Comment

what kind of equipment do you have? are you wet scraping or dry scraping?....

Comment

I don't have any tools, since I have never done this before. So I need to know everything!!!

Comment

There are serveral books and at least one video to walk yo through the how-to. Also check out this web site - Braintan.com: Natural Hide Tanning and Leathercraft.
          They are a wealth of info, a list of people who tan and sell the tools needed.
          Then be prepared for a lot of hard work!! Good luck!

Comment

I'm looking for someone in Oklahoma that tans hides. We have a source for deer hide but I have no desire to learn how to do this....have been told steps and I just don't have it in me to do it. Too many projects as it is.

Anyone know of someone in Oklahoma that tans hides?

Comment

Originally posted by luvstraightdancrs View Post
              Anyone know of someone in Oklahoma that tans hides?
              There are two OK tanners on this list...
              Brain Tanning Resource Directory

Comment

Thanks for the info....will check them out next week!

Comment

Nascar,

I certainly would recommend and listen to advice KiowaKat gives you. She is one of the most knowledgeable Natives of getting her work from the "hide to the buckskin." She also knows different tanning techniques.

I am not the only one who is an admirer of her skills. The Oklahoma Museum of History and National Museum of the American Indian have used her to share her talents.
                  Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
                    Nascar,

I certainly would recommend and listen to advice KiowaKat gives you. She is one of the most knowledgeable Natives of getting her work from the "hide to the buckskin." She also knows different tanning techniques.

I am not the only one who is an admirer of her skills. The Oklahoma Museum of History and National Museum of the American Indian have used her to share her talents.
                    WOW, whome you know how to make a person blush dang lol, I really appreciate you and others! thats for sure!! Aho!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X