Swan Dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swan Dance

I've noticed this dance just isn't done so much anymore. Do they do this anywhere with any regularity? I LOVE this dance both watching and participating and I miss it. So graceful, so elegant... One of the few women only dances I know of.
    I'd rather live on the side of a mountain than to wander through canyons of concrete and steel...

Sometimes in shows or up in the Michigan/Wisconsin area you see it, but not much.

Comment

I see it at our OK pow wows. It is a beautiful dance:)

Comment

see it every year at ottawa pow-wow! I love that dance. they should do it more!!
        "Deep Thoughts" By Jack Handy

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

"I wish I had a dollar for every time I spent a dollar, because then, yahoo!, I'd have all my money back."

Comment

Hey Maggie, I hit Ottawa every year too! That is an awesome dance! Plan to hit Sedalia too, so I'll see ya there:D

Comment

I really miss seeing this dance. I think it's been about 7 or 8 years since I last danced it.

Maybe it should be requested more!!!!
            I'd rather live on the side of a mountain than to wander through canyons of concrete and steel...

Comment

Originally posted by wickedannabella
              I really miss seeing this dance. I think it's been about 7 or 8 years since I last danced it.

Maybe it should be requested more!!!!
              Can you tell us more about it? I have never heard of it before, it sure sounds like it is beautiful, and a sight to behold.

Comment

I too would like to see this dance more. very pretty and fun to dance.:)
                "finding your best friend in life and love is glorious"

Comment

Originally posted by Tahemet
                  Can you tell us more about it? I have never heard of it before, it sure sounds like it is beautiful, and a sight to behold.
                  It IS truely beautiful. A woman's dance it's very much like follow the leader except you hold out your arms and you slowly make flapping motions (like a swan). When you have traditional women with their long frings and it's swaying and moving and everyone is together...it'll bring tears to your eyes. The song is beautiful as well, however, it's been so long since I've heard it.

Comment

That really sounds and looks beautiful ( I have an idea of what it looks like) Thanks for the description:)

Comment

I really think this is under-valued as a women's exhibition dance.

Comment

I miss this dance too. Along with the Fish Dance. I've only seen the Hochunk (Winnebago) people dance Swan Dance. Do other Nations do it too?

Comment

czehy, I have only seen the Sac n Fox doing the swan dance.. ..:)
                          "finding your best friend in life and love is glorious"

Comment

yes they do the Swan Dance here in Michigan....it looks really pretty too with all of the ladies wearing their shawls.:)

Comment

I really enjoy doing this dance...Hopefully we'll see it more.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X