No announcement yet.

Swan Dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Yakama have a really beauteeeful version of it. Women singers accompany it.

The story behind it is very close to both the Mesquakie and Sauk (Sac and Fox) people.

It is still done every year by all these tribes.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

i heard about it but never saw it at any of our powwows and im from wisconsin..........i would like to see it though!

Comment

I get to see it every year at Ottawa Powwow!

Comment

I see it all the time at Northern WI. powwows. At my niece and nephew's school they have the Swan dance at their monthly powwow.

Comment

I need Help!

I ever seen this dance can any have pics of the Swan Dance? I like to see how the dance look like?:)
            Boozhoo People, I got a name for my Drum now It called LynxSoldier alot people like that name here in my Area and other rez around Area.

Comment

My bro had me help out for one of his show's. His regular gurl was ill that day and I filled in. That is one hard dance to do. I did the best I could, but I felt like a goof ball. Thank goodness the kids didn't know the diference. I'm retired. That's the 1st and last time I'll perform that. There's no need to scare anyone.:dontknow: But Linda Tafoya, Tawny Hale and Starr R. these ladies can jam.:Thumbs

Comment

me and my sister swan dance every time that they have it at stroud...its so much fun..theirs always a bunch of ladies dancing up there

Comment

wow...i have never seen this dance before...I have no idea where tha hell i've been but i want to see how its done
                  blah blah blah....

Comment

Ooohh just reading this, :clap: it sounds like it is just pretty as pretty can be!!

Is it danced by traditional dancers only or any women? :49:
                    If there ain't soccer in heaven ~ I ain't going!!

Comment

Only women dance swan dance. In OKlahoma it was Shawnees, Sac and Fox.,etc. There is also ribbon dance and bean dance. Ottowa powow, and used to at Quapaw. Copan used to have traditonal dances (I don't mean Men's tradtional) Old man Fallsleaf was a singer or at home Bill Shawnee. Great singers no one ever heard of or never made a tape. Not powow stuff though.
                      My bark is worse than my bite

Comment

Hey Storm, I've heard of Bill Shawnee! Great singer!!
                        Yeh, we haven't swan danced at Quapaw for many years! Maybe I'l suggest they do it this year!

Comment

Bill Shawnee left us in the 70"s. He knew more different kinds of songs than anyone I ever knew. Powow, Stomp dance, All the social dances...We Miss him and men like him, like Bill Grass and others. It is good to mention those relations names again. everyone thinks these new drums are so great...never heard Albert Waters, Joe Rush, any of the Horse Chief Eagles,(all Ponca) and others really tearin it up in the 60's and 70's.
                          My bark is worse than my bite

Comment

I saw this dance when I was really young and it was done at our Annual Potawatomi Gathering on my Rez this year.......I forgot all about it...I don't see it much anymore up north here.
                            He's the type of rez I like
                            ~A. Waquie Nov. 2003~

Comment

Man! I sure do miss this dance. I first learned how to dance the swan dance with instructions from Chloe Rhoades. That sure brings back a lot of good memories.
                              :huddle: Learn to associate with the white man, learn his ways, get an education. With an education, you are his equal; without it, you are his victim. - Chief Plenty Coups, Crow

Comment

_________

The Yakama and other Northwest tribes do a different version than the Sac @ Fox. It is equally as meaningful.
                                Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X