X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ojibwaysweetie
    replied
    Originally posted by Kakeeya
    Thank you WhoMe, I was going to mention that before but I never got around to it. I'm not Yakama either but I am Plateau and our tribe also does the Swan Dance. Yes theres a legend to the Swan dance for us too, but I can't (and won't) go into that over the net.
    I have never seen this dance, only heard about it. I bet its purdy huh? I agree with you Kakeeya...there are some thangs you just don't talk about on here for a few reasons. I'd like to tell you I enjoyed reading your posts about the duck n dive. I never knew the dance had that much history and meaning to it. Thanks for that info...I was going to post my thanks to you in that forum but apparently it is closed. Very interesting!

Leave a comment:

• tradish_wiyan
    replied
    Does anyone have pics of it? Or can you take pictures of it? It sounds so graceful and beautiful to watch. :Angel2

Leave a comment:

• Kakeeya
    replied
    Thank you WhoMe, I was going to mention that before but I never got around to it. I'm not Yakama either but I am Plateau and our tribe also does the Swan Dance. Yes theres a legend to the Swan dance for us too, but I can't (and won't) go into that over the net.

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied
    _________

The Yakama and other Northwest tribes do a different version than the Sac @ Fox. It is equally as meaningful.

Leave a comment:

• acgal
    replied
    Man! I sure do miss this dance. I first learned how to dance the swan dance with instructions from Chloe Rhoades. That sure brings back a lot of good memories.

Leave a comment:

• Smeshigaud
    replied
    I saw this dance when I was really young and it was done at our Annual Potawatomi Gathering on my Rez this year.......I forgot all about it...I don't see it much anymore up north here.

Leave a comment:

• storm
    replied
    Bill Shawnee left us in the 70"s. He knew more different kinds of songs than anyone I ever knew. Powow, Stomp dance, All the social dances...We Miss him and men like him, like Bill Grass and others. It is good to mention those relations names again. everyone thinks these new drums are so great...never heard Albert Waters, Joe Rush, any of the Horse Chief Eagles,(all Ponca) and others really tearin it up in the 60's and 70's.

Leave a comment:

• ogapahndn
    replied
    Hey Storm, I've heard of Bill Shawnee! Great singer!!
    Yeh, we haven't swan danced at Quapaw for many years! Maybe I'l suggest they do it this year!

Leave a comment:

• storm
    replied
    Only women dance swan dance. In OKlahoma it was Shawnees, Sac and Fox.,etc. There is also ribbon dance and bean dance. Ottowa powow, and used to at Quapaw. Copan used to have traditonal dances (I don't mean Men's tradtional) Old man Fallsleaf was a singer or at home Bill Shawnee. Great singers no one ever heard of or never made a tape. Not powow stuff though.

Leave a comment:

• Gah-Gah!
    replied
    Ooohh just reading this, :clap: it sounds like it is just pretty as pretty can be!!

Is it danced by traditional dancers only or any women? :49:

Leave a comment:

• katezninen
    replied
    wow...i have never seen this dance before...I have no idea where tha hell i've been but i want to see how its done

Leave a comment:

• keepn_it_jingle
    replied
    me and my sister swan dance every time that they have it at stroud...its so much fun..theirs always a bunch of ladies dancing up there

Leave a comment:

• VIP4life
    replied
    My bro had me help out for one of his show's. His regular gurl was ill that day and I filled in. That is one hard dance to do. I did the best I could, but I felt like a goof ball. Thank goodness the kids didn't know the diference. I'm retired. That's the 1st and last time I'll perform that. There's no need to scare anyone.:dontknow: But Linda Tafoya, Tawny Hale and Starr R. these ladies can jam.:Thumbs

Leave a comment:

• Campfire 2003
    replied
    I need Help!

I ever seen this dance can any have pics of the Swan Dance? I like to see how the dance look like?:)

Leave a comment:

• ~danielle~
    replied
    I see it all the time at Northern WI. powwows. At my niece and nephew's school they have the Swan dance at their monthly powwow.

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X