How Many Feathers Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Feathers Etc

How "many" feathers have you seen one wear in this style? I mean in the hair.... I have three matching Eagle that I would like to wear at the back, three medium sides, and two small sides, all worn on the left side, where the heart is.

Is that too much? What do you think? Also, does it "mean"anything when one wears them a certain way? thanks all for your help:D

i'm southern so its prob different. but i wear my plumes or a single eagle feather that go straight up in the center... i wanna take my sister's feather tho ---> hers is NICE! she don't dance. hehehehe
    The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by superndngyrl
      i'm southern so its prob different. but i wear my plumes or a single eagle feather that go straight up in the center... i wanna take my sister's feather tho ---> hers is NICE! she don't dance. hehehehe
      Thanks for your reply. Anyone else?

Comment

I wear a black and white eagle tail feather in the back center straight up and I wear a plume on the side. In our way, a single straight feather means your single and two feathers means your married. I know it's different for all tribes though.

Comment

I am with Super. I wear mine that way, but I am southern too:)

Comment

Hmmm -

Well, I've always worn my eagle feather straight up in the back, I have seen some older women with two...but mostly just one. I wear my plume on the left side - married.

I've HEARD the plume on left or right tells if you're married or not. But I never wore one when I was younger because my hair was so short and I couldn't get one to stay. (it was trendy, what can I say?) ;)

Anyone else have an opinion about that?
            I'd rather live on the side of a mountain than to wander through canyons of concrete and steel...

Comment

Otoe style i was told not to wear an Eagle feather facing down, but i've seen some Otoes wear it that way so i dont know... guess its a personal preference nowadays.
              The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by superndngyrl
                Otoe style i was told not to wear an Eagle feather facing down, but i've seen some Otoes wear it that way so i dont know... guess its a personal preference nowadays.
                I'd always heard that it was a woman in mourning who wore her feather flat off her head...NO?

(Where do I get this stuff?) ;)
                I'd rather live on the side of a mountain than to wander through canyons of concrete and steel...

Comment

nowadays people were there plumes
                  and feathers anyway they want
                  it don't matter but i do know whereing to feathers straight up
                  in the back center of your head it does mean you are married well thats what my aunt told me and thats all i know see-yah
                  hey babe

Comment

Any northern ladies input on this? I am thinking about wearing one feather straight up at the back, and three smaller side feathers on the left side, over the heart ( what I was told anyways, so that you would not forget where you came from, etc:) )

Comment

i used to wear my hawk plumes on the left side bc i was told it meant you were single and you should switch your feather when you get married, but now i've got them strait up in the back. no one has told me what that means but i like it that way. right now i'm waiting until someones thinks i deserve some more feathers and gives em to me. so i can pu em on my left again. personally i like to see strait in the back plumes and feathers. then sumthin on the side (depending on availability) it shows that you've worked really hard to earn your feathers and you're proud of em
                      :)

Comment

Originally posted by LumbeeTurtle
                        i used to wear my hawk plumes on the left side bc i was told it meant you were single and you should switch your feather when you get married, but now i've got them strait up in the back. no one has told me what that means but i like it that way. right now i'm waiting until someones thinks i deserve some more feathers and gives em to me. so i can pu em on my left again. personally i like to see strait in the back plumes and feathers. then sumthin on the side (depending on availability) it shows that you've worked really hard to earn your feathers and you're proud of em
                        :)
                        Great to know that, I will have three on the left side, some nice side feathers, and one srtaight up and down on the back. Mussi Cho ( Thank You)

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X