Questions For Ladies Souther Style Dancers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions For Ladies Souther Style Dancers

Recently, at our tribes annual, we had several Southern Style dancers, both men and women, as well as three Southern Drums (yaay!). The committee decided to hold a special contest for this style of dancer, to show case them, because MOST of our elders never leave the rez, and dont realize the differences. It was pretty awesome, and it went over so well, that we are going to have category added for next year!

Here is the question: What do Southern Dancers think about North Buckskin dancers, in Northern Buckskin dresses, dancing and competing in a Southern Style contest? There were a couple of ladies from up here who entered this contest instead of their regular category, and placed, which is great, but I was wondering how this would go over for the real Souther Dancers. Not trying to stir something up, just trying to get a perspective, ya know?

I'd appreciate any comments about this!
    Ipsica Waci
    Wicahpi Eyoyambya Olowan

Originally posted by Lakota Wiyan View Post
    Recently, at our tribes annual, we had several Southern Style dancers, both men and women, as well as three Southern Drums (yaay!). The committee decided to hold a special contest for this style of dancer, to show case them, because MOST of our elders never leave the rez, and dont realize the differences. It was pretty awesome, and it went over so well, that we are going to have category added for next year!

Here is the question: What do Southern Dancers think about North Buckskin dancers, in Northern Buckskin dresses, dancing and competing in a Southern Style contest? There were a couple of ladies from up here who entered this contest instead of their regular category, and placed, which is great, but I was wondering how this would go over for the real Souther Dancers. Not trying to stir something up, just trying to get a perspective, ya know?

I'd appreciate any comments about this!

i'm thinking that if our drums can sing southern style and we do have drums that have very old southern or omaha style songs that they've been singing for generations then possibly some of the northern dancers know the southern protocol.

for example, here's a drum from lower brule south dakota called mazakute singing a omaha or southern style song:

YouTube - fort randall traditional powwow 2005 mazakute drum from lower brule

Comment

well I don't feel that it is right if there is two seperate categories one for Northern and one for Southern and a Northern dancer enters the Southern category and places ahead of someone that is Southern. It would be different if they only had one category being buckskin then they could have maybe 2 songs one Northern and one Southern I have seen that done when there isn't enough buckskin ladies for 2 categories.

Comment

Originally posted by nativedancer5 View Post
        well I don't feel that it is right if there is two seperate categories one for Northern and one for Southern and a Northern dancer enters the Southern category and places ahead of someone that is Southern. It would be different if they only had one category being buckskin then they could have maybe 2 songs one Northern and one Southern I have seen that done when there isn't enough buckskin ladies for 2 categories.
        i feel the same way, if they dance southern, they need to be in southern regalia.

Comment

Originally posted by they_drag_him View Post
          i feel the same way, if they dance southern, they need to be in southern regalia.
          Most definitely!

Comment

Doen't that defeat the intent of the showcase?

I mean if it was meant to showcase southern dancers you would think it defeated the purpose when the northern regalia ladies danced in the special.

I think so.

I have seen women in southern regalia dance northern or stationary when they are up north. Well I seen it once, and I felt it was odd. But I guess she figured she had a better chance to place if she danced stationary.

Myself, I dance southern no matter, even if all a pow wow has is one category - women's traditional.

I think only in the case of having a special such as:
            Northern Vs. Southern backskin special. I saw it at Gathering of nations once. It was unique in that all the southern girls had to go find a northern buckskin and dance stationary. All the northern buckskin ladies had to go find a southern buckskin regalia and dance southern. I thought that was kinda of a cool contest. For the record the northern girls didn't do to well in our outfits but the southern girls could stationary. HMMMM....
            undefined[SIZE=3]undefineR Tweety Rez

Comment

I agree that it defeats the purpose of the special showing the southern style of dance if the dancers aren't wearing the southern regalia. I know that some powwows have specials where anyone can enter regardless of outfit (or without a powwow outfit) but if these women entered the special instead of their Northern category, its a little different. Also there might have been southern dancers who traveled from a distance because they were attracted to the special. When hometown northern dancers enter and win over southern dancers, it probably created some tension among the visitors who were expecting to dance against only southern dancers.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety_rez View Post
                I mean if it was meant to showcase southern dancers you would think it defeated the purpose when the northern regalia ladies danced in the special.

I think so.

I have seen women in southern regalia dance northern or stationary when they are up north. Well I seen it once, and I felt it was odd. But I guess she figured she had a better chance to place if she danced stationary.

Myself, I dance southern no matter, even if all a pow wow has is one category - women's traditional.
                I agree. I dance southern here in the northern part of the universe and sometimes have been the only southern dancer in a traditional category - buckskin, cloth, northern/southern combined. Is it easy? Nope. Would I do it any differently? Nope. I intend to be to true to my style, win or lose.

Comment

As a southern woman that competes from time to time, I think it would be only appropriate if the special contest was danced by southern women only. Mixing up it up really defeated the purpose of the contest if it was designed for the old people to witness our dance style. i've competed in northern/southern combination traditional contests. They are completely difference styles of dance so I'm not sure how objective judging can be but it's always fun, win or lose.

Comment

Considering all of your comments, I can say that I agree with your opinions. This was a showcase, kind of an intro to S.buckskin 101, and it should have ONLY been southern outfits, even if that Northern lady wanted to dance. "Defeated The Purpose", is what I was thinking too!

Whats interesting is that there is usually one young lady from the South who comes up every year and dances in the Teen Girls Traditional with all the Northern dancers and usually places. I wish I could remember her name, cause she is very good and her and her mom are so sweet!

I've entered in a Southern Contest, it was just a little special in Texas, and had to borrow a Southern Cloth dress. There was an extra beat that shook me the first couple of push ups, but darn it all, at the very end of the song, I GOT IT!! LMAO

Thanks for the input! I know that there is going to be a new rule next years powwow, stating that dancers need to be in the appropriate regalia for their category. This wasnt an issue cause we haven't had additional categories before, but hey, we evolve and evolve!! I'm just glad for all the southern drums that showed up!! Oh yea, BTW, Maza Kute was able to throw in for Southern contest songs too! I have a funny story about that drum, but I'll save it for a rainy day, okay?? remind me...lmao
                    Ipsica Waci
                    Wicahpi Eyoyambya Olowan

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X