No announcement yet.

Women's Traditional Southern Round dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Otoe relatives always said to dance the slow style. But nowadays I see everyone dancing every way out there. Much has changed.
    The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

WHOME ...thanks for the insight. Yeah, i do remember the time when there were 2 songs given to contestants--1 warmup and 1 contest.

SUPER..I agree....much has changed.

I think either way of dancing works. I know dancers who danced either style tend to place, so I am assuming it does not matter which style is essential, depends on the person. Am I right?
      Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

Originally posted by ac_miss
        WHOME ...thanks for the insight. Yeah, i do remember the time when there were 2 songs given to contestants--1 warmup and 1 contest.

SUPER..I agree....much has changed.

I think either way of dancing works. I know dancers who danced either style tend to place, so I am assuming it does not matter which style is essential, depends on the person. Am I right?
        ___

ac_:

What it really boils down to is who you go to for advice OR if you simply learn by watching and imitating other respected dancers.
        Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Round Dancing

[COLOR=Purple]Well acknowledging that there is nothing traditional about contesting it is easy to see why people do as they wish in the arena. Like many others do, I simply dance according to what my Grandma taught us. Traditionally, southern women only danced slow & only behind the men dancers. If you listen to the tempo of southern songs you can tell that our dances were meant to be danced slowly & with grace. There are only very few circumstances when women dance fast in the arena & those dances only take place at certain dance grounds & at specific gatherings. Some may choose the northern "double-step"...others keep it southern. +[/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks for reviving this thread! I was talking to a friend of mine that dances Northern (but is from Oklahoma) and I asked her why some of the Southern ladies are now dancing faster on the Round dance. She told me that in Oklahoma that they never used to dance the round dance and it is a more recent thing and usually done outside of Oklahoma.

Comment

I was just looking over the threads and came upon this thread. I agree with Who Me's observations. I was at a pow wow in Oklahoma and happened to be standing next to a Pawnee elder lady. We were watching the Ladies Southern Buckskin contest at that time and the second song they had to dance was a round dance. She made the comment that she didn't understand why some of the women were dancing slow. She said that if she was a judge, she wouldn't pick any of the ones that were dancing slow. She said that "You're suppose to dance fast if it's a Round Dance." She didn't understand all this twisting and turning and stooping over that now goes on. I guess back in the day, they never did all that. Also, my friend's grandmother, who is KCA, told her that if you have to contest to a round dance, always dance fast. You never dance slow. And I have also noticed that the ones that dance fast, usually win or place high. I, for one prefer to see the ladies dance fast, shows who's in shape and who isn't.

Comment

Hello Everyone!
                I'm Kinda New To This Site But Not Necessarily New To Dancing!
                I Was Told By My Own Grandma, Ida Kaubin And Grace Tsonetokoy That Yes, The Round Dance Represents A Victory Dance, And You Should Step Quickly. Also, On The Honor Beats You Don't Change At All Which Means No Bowing, Turning, Or Raising A Fan. I Step Quickly In My Own Round Dance, But Keep My Fringes Swaying Side To Side (NOT EASY!!!! *L*) I Admit I Used To Step Slowly When I Was Younger And Couldn't Control My Fringes As Well Because They Would Snap Around If I Got Too Rough... But Honestly, Just Like Mountaindew Just Said, I Have Placed In Specials With (I Think) Better Dancers Than Me Simply Because I Step Quickly And Don't Bow Or Turn... The Real Pros Know What To Look For!!! *ayez*

Comment

I've always seen Toni Tsatoke dance the slower paced version of the round dance. Didn't she place 1st at GON this year?? If so, did she not dance the slower paced round dance?
                  Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

Very interesting topic, ladies. :D I like the input!
                    "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Comment

I've always seen Toni Tsatoke dance the slower paced version of the round dance. Didn't she place 1st at GON this year?? If so, did she not dance the slower paced round dance?
                      I wasn't at GON, but I know Toni very well, and I can bet that she danced the slower round dance. She dances beautiful and very gracefully, real smooth so no wonder she won at GON.

Comment

KAKEEYA: I agree. She dances gracefully. I love her new beadwork as well. As far as her placing first, proves the point that not all judges prefer the faster tempo of the round dance.

Again, I think both styles are great!
                        Last edited by ac_miss; 05-13-2004, 04:39 PM.
                        Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

KAKEEYA: I agree. She dances gracefully. I love her new beadwork as well. As far as her placing first, proves the point that not all judges prefer the faster tempo of the round dance.

Again, I think both styles are great!
                          Yes, I agree with you too, both ways are beautiful. Toni has awesome new beadwork and is very smooth and graceful when she dances. I learned a lot about Southern dances and Kiowa people from her. We used to travel together a long time ago, when we both used to live in NY. I consider her as family and am just proud of her, how far she has grown since those days in NY.

Comment

me too they are both beautiful
                            give good sing hard and try not to fart infront a fine flat butt babe!

Comment

dance styles a Southern man's point of view

I have always known the Women's traditional dance to be a slow step dance. This dance is to show the grace and beauty of the woman. The faster steps seem to be stepping over the boundary from traditional into other styles of dancing. I am not saying they are wrong, but I simply prefer the elegance of the slow step. I have been brought to tears seeing an Indian lady dancing the slower step. It is truly breath-taking to see it performed properly! I gave my 16 year old daughter her regalia for Christmas. She will be dancing the slow step women's traditional at our next pow wow. I am so very proud of her!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X