Alternative To Leather Fringe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative To Leather Fringe

I am looking for an alternative to leather fringe, it will be used for arm fringe on a cloth regalia.

Any ideas of what might work? Also I am seeking ideas on how to cut the fringe, as I have no idea how to go about doing it.

This will be my first attempt at making a full ladies dress, both the top and bottom. BTW it will be Northern.
    Last edited by angela aurora; 05-18-2010, 06:58 PM.

You can use double faced satin ribbon - 1/4" works great. I found some cream colored ribbon that made great fringe for a cloth northern traditional dress.
    ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
      You can use double faced satin ribbon - 1/4" works great. I found some cream colored ribbon that made great fringe for a cloth northern traditional dress.
      Thank you for your response. Does the ribbon sway like buckskin, or does it not quite do it the same way? I assume since it is lighter in weight, you would need more to get "that look"

Comment

A cousin of mine tried flat fringe on her daughter's dress and it looks good. I wouldnt know how much but something to try.

Comment

I have seen sone done with canves cut like leather fringes it was pretty nice

Comment

The ribbon has a nice sway to it. I used doubled 1/4" double faced satin either right next to each other or 1/4" between strands.

Then either use FrayCheck or singe the ends.
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by angela aurora View Post
              I am looking for an alternative to leather fringe, it will be used for arm fringe on a cloth regalia.

Any ideas of what might work? Also I am seeking ideas on how to cut the fringe, as I have no idea how to go about doing it.

This will be my first attempt at making a full ladies dress, both the top and bottom. BTW it will be Northern.

angela,

I was refringing a buckskin and ran out of buckskin fringe right before a powwow. So I ran to the store and got some white vinyl, cut it into fringe and blended it in with the buckskin fringe. No one could tell that weekend except me and the person wearing the buckskin. The only thing is the vinyl does not move like real fringe.

I got the vinyl fringe idea from a champion men's fancy dancer from Saskatchwan, back in da' day. He used colored vinyl in place of fringe on his cape and aprons.
              Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

or you could use ultra suede, found some good looking with suede on both sides at walmart last week, with a good price. I know it was someone that used it for his tableggings on here at it is a bit lighter and easier to clean than regular buckskin

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X