style diffrence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• style diffrence

Please help. Can someone please tell me what the difference is between Northern & Southern Buckskin dancing is. Thank you for clearing this up for me.

Originally posted by beadwork4u View Post
    Please help. Can someone please tell me what the difference is between Northern & Southern Buckskin dancing is. Thank you for clearing this up for me.
    Northern Singing vs. Southern Singing
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
      Northern Singing vs. Southern Singing
      Not entirely....Should let the senior Ladies that know answer !
      I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
      It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

Originally posted by wardancer View Post
        Not entirely....Should let the senior Ladies that know answer !
        That was an ENTIRE answer? just pointing in the direction
        sigpic

Comment

dance styles

So as I understand it, it just has to do with the singing only, not any style significance of the dress. Thank you.

Comment

So as I understand it, it just has to do with the singing only, not any style significance of the dress. Thank you.
            Read this:

Buckskin Dancing

http://iiamericas.org/the-pow-wow/traditional-dances/

Women Dance Styles

Littlecrow Trading Post Website - Styles of Regalia
            sigpic

Comment

Up in Pendleton, Oregon on Umatilla Reservation they had a special for "Short Fringe High Step"

sigpic

Comment

(*In the interest of fair disclosure, I don't dance - just make regalia.*)

There is more to it than the song style.

Most northern ladies don't 'walk' around; they dance in place, bobbing up and down on the balls of their feet. They may slowly turn to face each of the directions. They get a nice coordinated movement to their dress fringes.

Southern ladies step delicately in time to the music, moving around the circle. They too try to get nice movement to their dress fringes. The step is very light, and not too wide.

Of course the regalia differs. Ladies buckskin is one of the dance categories where individual tribal clothing styles are very persistent. Northern and southern dresses are, to my eyes, quite different.

Northern dresses tend to have fully beaded yokes. The moccasins and leggings differ. In the south, you will see certain tribes/folks with boots, rather than a separate legging/mocc. The design of the purse and the belt items differ. In the southern outfits there tends to be less overall area covered with beadwork.

The back drag is different. The northern breastplate hangs to the knee or lower. There is no -- for lack of a better term -- counterweight/back portion. The southern lady's breastplate hangs to roughly mid-thigh. There is a back portion that is nearly the same as the front.

There are a bunch of other difference in clothing that have to do with individual tribal styles.
                Last edited by OLChemist; 07-17-2015, 11:46 PM.

Comment

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WWLz-B-qouY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                  sigpic

Comment

thank you so very much.

Comment

Thank you, I love the drum and then I believe at the end was that the honor circle? with the dances? I most likely wrong. I just know from dancing that at some Pow Wow's they do that.

Comment

Yes this was a great help, I knew about the breast plate but did not know I can make a pattern to match my leggings. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
                          Up in Pendleton, Oregon on Umatilla Reservation they had a special for "Short Fringe High Step"

Pretty much region specific. Like Round Bustle.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.