Penny Dresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penny Dresses

Anybody know where I can find info on penny dresses? photos, history. construction tips? Is it just a regular wool dress with pennies on it? I promised my girlfriend 2 years ago I would make her one. She is nowmy fiance and I NEED to make it now.

She really wanted a dentalium dress but I would want to use smooth shellls and we all know what THEY cost.

thanks.;)
    There are 2 types of people in the world...
    Really stupid people who think they are smart
    and
    Really smart people who think they are smart.

I have not seen any photos but then again, I have not seriously looked either. However, there is a historic Lakota example in the Denver Art Museum. Its pictured in color in their book, Persistent Vision. The dress uses Indianhead and early Lincoln pennies. I have also seen a cotton cloth dress with some trade tokens sewn on the yoke as well.

I made a trade cloth dress in this style several years ago but used Indianhead/buffalo nickels instead of the pennies. The cost was a lot cheaper but the dress ended up being very heavy. If you get/make such a dress, be prepared to get jokes about having "spare bus change"! LOL!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X