Penny Dresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penny Dresses

Anybody know where I can find info on penny dresses? photos, history. construction tips? Is it just a regular wool dress with pennies on it? I promised my girlfriend 2 years ago I would make her one. She is nowmy fiance and I NEED to make it now.

She really wanted a dentalium dress but I would want to use smooth shellls and we all know what THEY cost.

thanks.;)
    There are 2 types of people in the world...
    Really stupid people who think they are smart
    and
    Really smart people who think they are smart.

I have not seen any photos but then again, I have not seriously looked either. However, there is a historic Lakota example in the Denver Art Museum. Its pictured in color in their book, Persistent Vision. The dress uses Indianhead and early Lincoln pennies. I have also seen a cotton cloth dress with some trade tokens sewn on the yoke as well.

I made a trade cloth dress in this style several years ago but used Indianhead/buffalo nickels instead of the pennies. The cost was a lot cheaper but the dress ended up being very heavy. If you get/make such a dress, be prepared to get jokes about having "spare bus change"! LOL!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• tonepahhoter1
      Cowrie Shell Dress
      by tonepahhoter1
      How many cowrie shells are to be used when making a dress. I am making one for shinnecock pow-wow but I would like to know how many I need to order
      08-25-2010, 01:32 PM
    • Haliwa Indian Gal
      Is it Allowed!
      by Haliwa Indian Gal
      Hey Jingle Dancers,
      If I see a Jingle Dress I really like that is for sale on the internet,but doesn't look quite like I want it or not the perfect fit,and I print it out and get- say my aunt-to make it using the same concept and style but adding on and a different...
      01-07-2002, 09:54 PM
    • laughingcrow
      Deerskin Strap Dress
      by laughingcrow
      Has anyone seen a traditional two deerskin strap dress worn at any pow wows? This style of dress was common among the Cree, Ojibwe and Metis people of the Great Lakes in the past but sadly, I have never seen a contemporary version of one worn in the circle. I have heard of people wearing a cloth strap...
      01-06-2013, 08:49 PM
    • Silly_Az_girl
      T~Dress
      by Silly_Az_girl
      I was wondering about the T-Dress as in information on how to construct one...It looks pretty simple but like many "simple looking things" it can turn out to be difficult. What and where the measurements need to be taken and the basically the basic construction...etc...
      Your input...
      08-14-2003, 02:47 AM
    • eagleclan22
      :Help - Need any help I can get
      by eagleclan22
      Hello ladies. Ok I am not a cloth dancer,... so Im looking for you pro-cloth dancer opinions. :Help

I have a cousin who has always danced with me since we were little girls, she slowed down alot until came to a hault after she had her son. She is Rhumathoid Arthritic (since the age of...
      02-17-2003, 01:15 AM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X