Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum beat tempo.

Ladies:

What drumbeat tempo do you like to contest to?

Do you like the traditional slower beat where you can strut your style and make your fringes sway real high?

Or do you prefer the strong faster pace that the top contest drums use today?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

I don't wear buckskin at powwows but do exhibition shows at schools and churches etc. in one and I do like the slower tempo. The dress practically dances itself!
    Poetry is life in print.

https://poetryislifeinprint.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/KarlieCharlesSoftball/

Comment

I really enjoy and seem to want to dance more when an older, slower tempo song is up. I get very upset when a tempo suddenly changes either on purpose or by mistake; but can stay on beat.

Comment

They should have a buckskin with nuthin but fringe and they could really strut their stuff.
        Last edited by luvsbrownsugars; 01-12-2006, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I like the really really fast ones that make you practically run around to keep up, lookin all sharp!:dancing3:
          I'm kidding in case that's lost on someone!

Comment

I prefer a slower, snap your fringe, dance your dance, kinda song, rather than one that is too fast. One of things I noticed over the summer was that some drums are singing faster contest songs for women, straight dance and golden age categories. Dang, you just end up blazing around the arena!! LOL! Another thing I noticed was the lack of honor beats. I'm not sure why, but there were a couple of songs where we didn't hardly get any.
            Work like you don't need money,
            Love like you've never been hurt,
            And dance like no one's watching.

Comment

I noticed the same thing this past summer: not too many honor beats during the songs for traditional women's contest. I don't understand that either.

As for the original question, I enjoy the songs with the slower tempo. I tink it makes for a more graceful dance.
              It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Old School
                I prefer a slower, snap your fringe, dance your dance, kinda song, rather than one that is too fast. One of things I noticed over the summer was that some drums are singing faster contest songs for women, straight dance and golden age categories. Dang, you just end up blazing around the arena!! LOL!
                __

Trudanny and OSchool:

This is the reason I posted this question. I am seeing the contest drums jamming, when most buckskin dancers would rather have a smooth song where they can "strut their stuff" *L
                Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

i like the fast beats i dont really like slow songs that much.

Comment

I like the slow songs, where you can just sway that fringe Nothing else beats that, when you know you are right on the money and doing your thang

Comment

Ummm...

I like dancing to southern style music. Being a southern cloth dancer, i enjoy hearing Cozad, Youngbird, etc...

But when it comes to hearing it live or listening to a CD... definately going w/ northern style....

aaah.. i like both! lol
                      "~~<~~~Miss Nikita~~~>~~"

http://www.myspace.com/kitagal is where i be lol

Comment

That slow, smooth style is what it's all about. and man, those ladies out there doin' the buckskin thang are just so beautiful/awesome/cool I almost want to join their ranks. maybe after I get done trashing my knees a bit more I will.
                        Mad Scientists Union Local 42
                        Evil Geniuses For a Better Tomorrow

The secret of my succes is 30% natural talent, 10% inspiration, and the remaining 60% is just the fact that I am nucking futs.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.