Crowns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crowns

I was just wondering is it appropriate to wear a crown even though u were never crowned princess. I have a friend who is a traditional dancer that wears one, but was never crowned princess of anything. And also what is the correct height for one they seem to be getting taller and taller each year.
    Fool me once, shame on u. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I say go for it! But like many have said on here before, you might want to check with your tribe/nation and your family members first.

Me, crown hight is between 6'8" tall. Too big?!

Comment

I have noticed it seems to be the trend of southern buckskin ladies. I do not wear a crown; but do wear a hat, northwest style. I would never wear a crown; that is my personal taste. Now if my daughter were to earn a title when she gets a little older; I'd love to see one on her, but as for wearing it past the year of her representing it, I think that is a bit much. I agree; wearing regalia styles that your own tribe or family wear is the best way to go, that way you are representing your own and if anybody asks you about your regalia you'll have a lot of information to give or share with them.

Comment

Personally....

When I Was Younger I Always Wore The More Traditional Style Kiowa Headband (Which Actually Converted Into A Choker When I Got Older *LMAO*) But Hmmm... I Started Taking Titles Early So Yes Now I Wear A Crown And Plume, But I Know Plenty Of Southern Buckskins That Have Never Had A Title And Wear A Crown. Mostly I Just Wear My Title Crown In Grand Entry And Intertribals But Wear My Contest Crown For Competition
        Ummm.... I Agree Totally That Some Of Those Crowns Are Like Pope Hats And Dang Near Need A Little Blinking Light On The Top But I think Mine Is A Pretty Good Height... I Don't Know How To Post A Pic On Here But There's A Pic In My Profile @ http://profiles.yahoo.com/Southern_sweetie49 I Think Its A Good Height...!

Comment

Thanks for all the opinions. Very Gorgeous crown AhDay_EveryDay. I think it is a pretty good height. I'm digging the design. thanks again. :)
          Fool me once, shame on u. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Comment

Thanks Ya!

Just To Give Proper..Um.."PROPS" *L* Pat Tsonetokoy Made That Crown And Came Up With The Design For That Crown- Some Say The Really Geometric Designs Look Like Jackie's, I Personally Don't Really See It *L* But My Dress Is A Physical Compliment To The Talent All The Women Of That Family. My Grandmother Ida Kaubin Came Up With The Prayer Design That Runs Around It, 2 Feathers For My Indian Name, 3 White beads For the father, son and holy ghost, 4 red beads for the 4 directions, yellow for the sundance. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Riverwoman

Me, crown hight is between 6'8" tall. Too big?!

6 foot 8 inches tall????? Yeah that's too big!
              Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear

sheesh I did it again, used the wrong little things.... you know I mean between 6 to 8 inches tall at front :blushing:

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear

I was bout to say...that's one big a** crown. LMAO

Comment

As for how to make, save your KFC bucket from supper, then just start beading it. Of course you want to put rhinestones around the edges and maybe cut come shape to it and cut the bottom so that it fits over your head. As for height, shoot if you make really big, youcould just bead fluffs into the design! LOL
                    Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

what do you think of all the organizations and pow wows that have princesses nowadays? I remember when the only princesses that were out there were TRIBAL princesses, those chosen by thier tribe to represent them. Now there is a princess for everything and every occasion. Back in the day, they used to put the tribal princesses in the front of everything, grand entry line, sitting in front of the speakerstand and all of that.
                      Myself, I represented my tribe as Jr. Miss Sac and Fox and Miss Sac and Fox, both chosen by the elders of the tribe according to knowledge of dress, language, etc. I also represented a pow wow committee which was chosen on dress and dancing ability. I don't encourage my daughters to follow this route unless they are ready for the good and the bad that goes with representing an organization. To do this, you live in a glass house and everyone watches all that you do and you had better be prepared to live a spotless life for one year anyways. ha ha We had chaperones and the whole bit. We weren't allowed to walk around during the pow wow, we danced. And no 49's.....that was a long summer. Where are these values now? Even the big name princesses can be seen out partying or living with their boyfriends LOL Anyways, crowns are just a sign of the times, a trend that will pass and something else will come along and we will all invest in that too. LOL
                      I am thankful for my grandparents, my parents, my brothers, my aunties and uncles, my children, my companion and all of those who influenced me to be strong and proud of being who I am and where I come from. Knowledge is power

Comment

Nowadays you got 49 princesses' and all. You got lodges princess and community princess and council princess and street princess. Ooops, sorry wrong place! LOL
                        Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

Originally posted by sltate
                          what do you think of all the organizations and pow wows that have princesses nowadays? I remember when the only princesses that were out there were TRIBAL princesses, those chosen by thier tribe to represent them. Now there is a princess for everything and every occasion. Back in the day, they used to put the tribal princesses in the front of everything, grand entry line, sitting in front of the speakerstand and all of that.
                          Myself, I represented my tribe as Jr. Miss Sac and Fox and Miss Sac and Fox, both chosen by the elders of the tribe according to knowledge of dress, language, etc. I also represented a pow wow committee which was chosen on dress and dancing ability. I don't encourage my daughters to follow this route unless they are ready for the good and the bad that goes with representing an organization. To do this, you live in a glass house and everyone watches all that you do and you had better be prepared to live a spotless life for one year anyways. ha ha We had chaperones and the whole bit. We weren't allowed to walk around during the pow wow, we danced. And no 49's.....that was a long summer. Where are these values now? Even the big name princesses can be seen out partying or living with their boyfriends LOL Anyways, crowns are just a sign of the times, a trend that will pass and something else will come along and we will all invest in that too. LOL
                          Amen to that! No nine's, no living with guys, no walking around pow wows. You were representing your tribe and being a role model to other girls who would like to be princess sometime. And back when I was princess it was an honor. Not just some title you didn't think too much of, now they DO have a princess for everything under the sun! Too bad it's hard to find girls that don't know the real meaning of being princess. It was such a great time and fun and I felt proud. Oh well. Times are changing as well as morals and beliefs....I'm just having a hard time accepting it!!! *L*

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

IN all seriouness, I completely agree with you too. Being a princess is an honor. Whether you like it or not your every move is watched and criticized! You should always be friendly and always able to help at any pow-wow. I am really picky about this. I've been fussed out for being old fashoined and was told " Oh get over it" They have a life too" Yeah these girls do but they wanted to be a princess so they need to act like one! That means no snaggin' no drinkin' and no cussing or bad mouthing people at pow-wows. I seen a visiting princess do that here one time and I was just disgusted. That makes the committeee look ill-mannered, and stupid for picking someone with no class and dignity to represent them!

Comment

I agree too. My tribe recently changed the name of our princesses from Pow-wow Princess to Tribal Princess. I always wondered why it wasn't changed years ago because they have know traditions of the tribe and just not the ablilty to dance.

Anyways.....being a princess was a big honor and yes everyone is watching but what really makes me mad is after someone gets the title they turn around and get pregnant. If you are going to behave in that manner, don't compete! Just my thoughts.
                              :huddle: Learn to associate with the white man, learn his ways, get an education. With an education, you are his equal; without it, you are his victim. - Chief Plenty Coups, Crow

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X