Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blueberry111
    replied
    My traditional dresses are representative of my tribes and area... I'm trying to get one or two dresses for each of my tribes. I have an elk skin shell dress with painted diamonds along the sleeves in the old short fringe style. I also have a beaded nez perce short fringe of white German tan, and I had an old style cheyenne but I scrapped it for leather use. I am working on my beaded elk tooth crow dress. People tell me I should go jingle but I never feel at home in my ugly bad applique skills.
    Anyways, the diamonds on shell dress are family. There is an eagle and two yellow bears on there. The shells and dentalia rosettes rep the old trade and my Dakota grandparents.

Leave a comment:

• lucipherphill
    replied
    Cloth represents the tribe or ancient culture, we and our ancestors belongs.We belong to Asian tribe. Our dress 'Dhoti kurta' represent our tribe speciality. Nowadays, Asain tribes are being followed throughout the earth.
    Last edited by lucipherphill; 04-04-2013, 02:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• delila77
    replied
    im osage. my dress is still in the making as im switching over from jingle to southern cloth. so far its lots and lots of ribbon work, silk shirts (thank gawd tjmax and sears) and wrap around broadcloth skirt. my ma always said its better to represent yar tribe the right way. but im gunna go all the way out with beadwork. i got like tons of pretty brouches just pick and choosing. goin with a tie dyed shawl (meaning dual color fringe) with ribbonwork on it . fingerwoven belt and macaw fan . i know of a guy who does great feather work out in missouri. my ma said loop necklace and a nice silk scarf i should wear but i seriously would miss wearing my fully beaded choker with drop. no breastplate. with the choker can i still get away with fullybeaded choker or stick with what my ma says (for contest dancing)?

Leave a comment:

• wanjica_the_one
    replied
    Apache girl, you need to ask your people.

Leave a comment:

• short apache girl
    replied
    Originally posted by Zi-Sunka View Post
    Not sure where that came from. I switch from fancy, jingle and traditonal all the time . What tribe told you about green dress?
    yea a comanche lady told me about the green dress. ladies would were it because they were in mourning of someone or something. may not be true but i was told that and i was wondering if any one new if it was true? and if u dance jingle because its very important dress u can't dance nothing else. is that true?

Leave a comment:

• Zi-Sunka
    replied
    Originally posted by short apache girl View Post
    i Think todays ladies dress is to contempary. Don't get me wrong contemp is great and beautiful for competions. I am just old fashion i guess, but still love traditonal dress.
    Well i am quater apache and adopted comanche.
    I wear a red velvet long sleeve colar shirt with small buffallo conchos on my shirt, buffalo because that was the food souce and was very important. turquois jewelry, concho belt, a ruffle velvet camp dress or skirt. Hair tucked up. moccs.
    i also wear comanch t-dresses the different design dresses that i have is american flag long fringe on sleeve, blue satin, red embrodiary floral, shell, turqouis color, and yellow and black dress with fringe on sleeve. i wear a breast plate moccs with fringe. with fringe represents not married. apron velvet with long fringe. i love the apron when dancing love. but to me less is more. and i was told to never where a green dress, because its a sign of mourning for someone. is that right? and is it true once u wear a jingle dress u can't wear a buckskin or cloth or fancy shawl? i was just told that didn't know?
    Not sure where that came from. I switch from fancy, jingle and traditonal all the time . What tribe told you about green dress?

Leave a comment:

• short apache girl
    replied
    i Think todays ladies dress is to contempary. Don't get me wrong contemp is great and beautiful for competions. I am just old fashion i guess, but still love traditonal dress.
    Well i am quater apache and adopted comanche.
    I wear a red velvet long sleeve colar shirt with small buffallo conchos on my shirt, buffalo because that was the food souce and was very important. turquois jewelry, concho belt, a ruffle velvet camp dress or skirt. Hair tucked up. moccs.
    i also wear comanch t-dresses the different design dresses that i have is american flag long fringe on sleeve, blue satin, red embrodiary floral, shell, turqouis color, and yellow and black dress with fringe on sleeve. i wear a breast plate moccs with fringe. with fringe represents not married. apron velvet with long fringe. i love the apron when dancing love. but to me less is more. and i was told to never where a green dress, because its a sign of mourning for someone. is that right? and is it true once u wear a jingle dress u can't wear a buckskin or cloth or fancy shawl? i was just told that didn't know?
    Last edited by short apache girl; 08-06-2010, 05:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sbarnes88
    replied
    I bet everyones dresses are so beautiful! Well lets see I am of mixed blood being Choctaw, Cherokee and we believe Sauk(aka Sac and Fox from my understanding)although I'm not sure on that as of yet so can't really claim it, there is also a very small possibility of Creek but I'm not one to claim a certain people unless I know for sure. I have a Cherokee tear dress that I will wear on occasions, I also have been blessed with a couple T-dresses that I wear to powwow in they are made out of cotton, nothing really fancy as I like to keep it more simply and add the beadwork and accesories as I go. Then my adopted grandmother is putting the finishing touches on my Choctaw dress(I am so excited about it!).
    As far as heirlooms, I was the only child born to the middle, and younger children of both sides of my family so there was not much left once everyone run through my families stuff when everyone passed(grandparents) however my parents did manage to get and now have given me several beaded necklaces, one wooden necklace(not sure if it is something from our NDN or white side) then the most beautiful Turqiouse pin that was suppose to be off of the Navajo reservation back in 1920! None of these I wear because I fear of something ever happening to them.
    I was also blessed that my grandmother(the one I refer to as my adopted grandmom)gave me a beaded Medallion, and a roundcomb that I will cherish forever. She also let me wear one of her dresses and apron at a local social dance and I will be forever greatful of that(the one in my avatar).

I wanted to add I am still learning all I can about my heritage and their ways. I love this forum as I get to learn more in depth information from people rather then some of the ones I've encountered locally that want to say they know everything and then I find out they are not correct in what they say or have been told. THANKS everyone!

Leave a comment:

• wichapi
    replied
    Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
    Do any of you wear heirloom dresses that have been passed down?

My sister has my grandmother's buckskin. She also has a traditional manta of the Pueblo people that belonged to our mother. My sister wore these when she used to compete in Native pageants.

She will one day pass these down to her daughters.

I have my grandmas buckskin and her belt and breastplate, and hairtyes, and my great grandmas moccasins. I wear my grandmas stuff from time to time.

I only have a son so I hope one day he has a granddaughter for me to give it to.

Leave a comment:

• Zi-Sunka
    replied
    Originally posted by WhoMe View Post

My sister has my grandmother's buckskin. She also has a traditional manta of the Pueblo people that belonged to our mother. My sister wore these when she used to compete in Ntive pageants.

Most of my accessories are Heirloom.. Such as my 1920's Blackfoot Headband, which a girl traded from my Grandmother, my 1950 Wolf Paw Pin and Berry basket pin, 1970 moccasins from my mom, and a few other things. They dont have much sparkle but they are really nice. The wolf has a hand made silver concha in the middle. There a painted bag that I carry that is kind of old. Don't have any heirloom dresses though, just non-dress.

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied

My sister has my grandmother's buckskin. She also has a traditional manta of the Pueblo people that belonged to our mother. My sister wore these when she used to compete in Native pageants.

Leave a comment:

• Zi-Sunka
    replied
    I either wear my elk tooth or my southern elk dress. I have others from my tribes but they are not very good. No sewing machines, so i cant work on my fancy shawl

Leave a comment:

• notsocheese
    replied
    That's cool superndngyrl! I have always admired the ribbon work patterns of Otoe, Sac-n-Fox and Ponca. My sister wears Otoe clothes and she actually tried to wear a Kiowa dress again but she said she got really use to the Otoe style and she now prefers it.
    Last edited by notsocheese; 07-29-2004, 02:21 AM. Reason: misspelling

Leave a comment:

• superndngyrl
    replied
    lol olive oil!

I dress in otoe clothes... I'm workin on some traditional mocs so i can be more authentic *L* but um... my mocs are kiowa aka southern style.

If you seen me around my dresses are all otoe ribbon work pattern made by Bernadette Huber and 1 by Phyllis Whitecloud. I'm proud of the Otoe style and find it hard to wear that kiowa style one piece dress even tho they are beautiful. Since I'm not Kiowa i stick to the shirt/skirt style.

I have green beadwork that I picked cuz its a kickapoo clan color. :) Since I'm both I cant help but have both my tribes influence my clothes and style.

As for Kickapoo, i have some kickapoo ceremonial dresses and some camp dresses that both otoe and kickapoo women wear to less formal occasions but i rarely wear them. Kickapoo dresses have an attached cape on the top that reaches almost to the elbow. the skirt is that of the camp dress style. w/just a band of ribbon near the bottom.

howz that?

Leave a comment:

• notsocheese
    replied
    lol.. I wish I could say I have a roll instead of rolls! lol... But hey I fill out my Kiowa dresses just fine!!!! It's better than looking like Olive Oyl in a Kiowa dress. lol

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.