Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHEROSAGE
    replied
    I think that some of the Apaches will even wear the shawl wrap over their dresses. This is the same as the Comanches, and Kiowas. I did used to live in Lawton OK area and still have family down there.

Leave a comment:

• catsmeow
    replied
    Comanches, not kiowas have a tab that hangs from the side bottom of their dress. (usually incorporates into their side gusset) Is that where you are refering to? I was told years ago that it is a reminder of when the feet of the deer were left on the dresses. Not sure if that is actually it, but that is what I was told.

Leave a comment:

• Okwataga
    replied
    I think it is part of the Kiowa dress style - not sure been awhile since i heard anything
    Not sure may have to ask a Kiowa....

Leave a comment:

• Tess Lone Elk
    replied
    I dance Northern Cloth and I was told (by my mother) to carry the shawl on my left arm, with the shawl folded so the fringe hangs from my left elbow down, and across the bottom....

ALSO, how about that little 3 inch hangy down piece of cloth on the bottom of Northern Cloth dresses! Anyone know what that is for? I have asked several people and they usually just say it is "tradition" to add that.

Interesting thread!! :Chatter

Leave a comment:

• Mato Winyan
    replied
    Mato, I have a half shawl given to me by Betty W. about 18 years ago, and it was old then. (could just have been incorrect then too!) I use it quite a bit, have you ever been able to tell?
    Nope, could have fooled me. ;)

Leave a comment:

• Okwataga
    replied
    All of this has been great. very informative also.
    Now I'm ready to go off and dance somewhere - but I'll wait for Knoxville to be my first dance this year.

Anyone going anywhere be carefull and have fun

Good luck Ayita at Haliwa.
    D

Leave a comment:

• STATE
    Guest replied
    I have been married down here in Comanche country and have had the honor of talking to Margie Sovo and Rose Attocknie, who are the elder women of the Tu-Whee society.They said that the Peetsaqueenah (?), is to cover the body as a show of modesty. It is to be loose fitting. I have four daughters and I had brought out the oldest two at Ponca, but am getting ready to dress them Comanche, otter hat and all. I have spoken to the aunts of my husband and they are helping me to prepare my daughters' dresses, etc., so I won't get anything wrong or offend any of their elders.

Leave a comment:

• NancyJo
    replied
    I've seen the lighter shawls also, at pow wows lately. Ladies that used to say they would never carrying anything but a full shawl are now looking at these. I've seen them but haven't made one yet.

I made the mistake of making a really nice full shawl, with fringe tied every half inch, fringe about 17 inches long (I'm tall, so I had added some length).....it made a really nice shawl, but it's a little heavy. I had thought about adding the glass beads....but after the first time carrying it, I decided not to.

Also, just my two cents on the apron, my little comanche aunt (adopted.....I'm creek) told me the apron was from women's kitchen aprons. She told me that whenever a woman had company she would wear her best apron.....same for pow wows.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the discussion....... :)

Leave a comment:

• Little One~
    replied
    Originally posted by paraivo
    ...it is called a "peetsquina"(not sure about the spelling). I don't know if the name of the women's apron is the same.
    I was told peetsquinaa translates to shawl -- makes sense, since that's all it really was -- and that it is the same for both men and women. Comanche men and women, that is.

Leave a comment:

• STATE
    Guest replied
    The majority of my shawls are the 3/4 shawls used only for my regalia. Make sure you do not make it too light, it doesn't swing as nicely. If you do make it too light, use fishing weights at the bottom to give it more swing without having to use your arm to swing it. That takes away from your rhythm when you are worrying about whether your shawl is swinging. ha ha It looks bad too. Especially with the lighter materials we are using today, the sparkle satin and the shinier stuff. My mom basically only uses bridal satin because it is heavier, dry cleans better,and keeps its form longer. We have never used taffeta because it takes more care and doesn't last very long. Plus when you sit down, bridal satin doesn't wrinkle as easily. I have skirts that are 30 years old that have been dry cleaned and look pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• catsmeow
    replied
    I have seen this type of shawl out in OK the last 2 summers, so would ASSUME that it is acceptable, if not actually correct. They dont wear them, so dont know that anyone would really know the difference. It is actually half the size of a full size one, and fringed only on the bottom, as that is all that shows.
    Mato, I have a half shawl given to me by Betty W. about 18 years ago, and it was old then. (could just have been incorrect then too!);) I use it quite a bit, have you ever been able to tell?

Leave a comment:

• Beth
    replied
    shawls

Know heavy shawls. I got stupid and made one and put two plus spools of black fringe with four rows of knots. Two rows with plastic firepolish on each knot. I've had people want to make one like it. Usually let them use it once. It usually frives the idea away quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Okwataga
    replied
    So you can have a "Contest shawl" just for dancing, and not to use over shoulders? Then that would be less work on making full size shawl and could be way keener and fancier.....
    Never thought of that, may have to make some, so this is okaypractice to have seperate shawls?
    I ask cause only made full size shawls and used them all day long
    D

And yes those contest shawls are darn nice especially witht he fringe same color as ribbonwork tooo cool

goingt o post some pictures today of older pw's from 90 91, see is anyone remembers them.

Leave a comment:

• Mato Winyan
    replied
    deltadawn
    Mato glad to hear, was good weekend.
    Mato fix and grilled cheese this weekend?
    Thanks, it was a great weekend!! Good drums, good dancing, good outfits, good contests!! :)

No way was I cooking this weekend!! This old gal was going to enjoy herself!!
    ;) :p :Chatter

Leave a comment:

• Mato Winyan
    replied
    cats~

That is what I'm doing with my shawl, making a small version. You have seen how honkin' my other one is there is no way I'm carrying that puppy over this old arm in the heat!!!! :sweat: :Tongue

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.