Style Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Style Question

OK maybe it's just me being dumb as rocks, but....

Out in Washington most women that I've seen, dance tradish with a draped shawl and a fan, but I see a few dance with a draped shawl and a swinging purse. What gives?
    "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
    Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

Every now and then some have even used a basket instead of a fan,
    some even use a purse and fan together, the beadwork usually matches that on your regalia

hopefully some of the older dancers on here will know the answer
    Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

In Oklahoma and Texas most of the women in cloth carry what you refer to as a draped shawl, fan and purse. It is considered part of their regalia. No real explanation - just the way they do it. My daughter and her friends as well as my inlaws all carry all three. Most of the southern buckskin dancers carry all three also.

As far as I know it is not a trend, new thing or anything like that -- it's just what we do. No explanation or reasoning is necessary.

Comment

I can always remember the women carrying a fan and purse in one hand(if they want to carry their purse) and their shawl over their other arm. (I) can only assume that the fan is carried in the dominate hand of preference. I believe this is similar to the straight dancers carrying their fans vs tailstick in a particular hand. Only a guess, my Wife agrees that this is the preference of the woman dancer.
        BOB

Comment

Can any woman truly function without her purse?:D
          E

Comment

What I have seen it is the norm to see both southern and northern carrying all three, especially in competition. Even if you do not carry a purse a shawl and fan are set standard.
            "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

My sister carries her shawl on one arm, and the purse and fan with the other. The purse swings on her arm.

Comment

Thanks for your inputs - it looks like the concensus is that it is basically a style choice. What I was wondering was if the purse is more specific (historically) to region or tribal affiliation, marital status, or other. I know that in Men's Tradish some people just build according to style choice while others (hopefully more and more) dance with each piece because of its specific meaning. I wasn't sure if that was the same here but I've always seen Cloth as a "tradish" type of category.
                "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
                Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X