acessories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acessories

I was thinking of making some ankle bracelets with small bells on them so that when I dance they will be heard. I was wondering what you lady's think about this.:)

First I would have to ask........Are you talking about for traditional cloth dancing????
    Second, have you ever seen this done? I haven't. Usually when I have an idea that I have not seen before, I do not do it. Not until I check with someone that has knowledge in that area.
    I personally would not do it, but that is me.
    Hope it helps.
    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

I agree wih Mato, if you havent seen this done, investigate it more before doing it. I dont think that it is a traditional accessorie that you are going to see too many of, most ladies legs are covered anyway.

Comment

If your dacning and wear moccs and leggings no one will be able to see your anklets. And I haven't seen any woman wear bells on anklets. But that just me, but like the others said, check it out first.
        Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

aqua,

if you want bells at your feet, try sewing them to the bottom of your skirt. That is what some of the girls in Oklahoma do. They also incorporate them into the fringe on their shawls.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Well I saw it over in Knoxville, one lady had bells on her leggings on the bottom and another lady had them attached to her dress near the bottom.

Comment

hmmmmm, what about those old style cones? like the tiiiiiiiiny jingle cones, like you see on the fringe bags and stuff? that would be kewl. most of the time though i think the womens' dances should be quiet and graceful, except for jingle of course:) jingle is graceful though:) hee hee. ok so anywayz, that's my 2 cents. *ding*
              TARHEEL BORN, TARHEEL BRED, WHEN I DIE I'LL BE TARHEEL DEAD!

MizzQaqimat's Space

Comment

I like the bells on the dresses but I haven't seen them around the ankles of women. I don't know. I guess it would be a personal preference. :)
                :huddle: Learn to associate with the white man, learn his ways, get an education. With an education, you are his equal; without it, you are his victim. - Chief Plenty Coups, Crow

Comment

back home...the old traditional cloth dresses have bells on them. The noise is supposed to keep away bad spirits (thats the reason we also put them on our babies shoes). they aren't really big bells , jus the little tiny ones......*just got a thought* what if they wore cow bells...haha...just kidding.

I would post a photo of one of our dresses, unfortunately the pix that are taken w/ my digital cam are too big to load on powwows.com.......
                  .o0~CLAY~0o.

Comment

Hmmm, interesing idea. I guess it depends on what style you dance too. Ive seen a few ladies with bells on the ends of the tassels off the flap of their leggins. (little ones of course) not the ones the men wear. Little ones may not be too bad, but i sure wouldnt wear sleigh bells..lol. Thats just my thought, who knows, you might start a new fad..?:Idea

Comment

cow bells uuuummmmm?
                      that would be interesting
                      put some (one) on purse, belt, maybe even on my shawl

Just kidding folks
                      its friday ready for the weekend

i guess mostly where you are from how your tribe dresses or what has been passed to you makes the difference.

Comment

Can someone help me???

Can somebody please help me? I quit daning about 7 years ago and I want to start back traditional dancing. What the problem is , is that I don't know all of the accessories that are used for a cloth regalia. So I trying to get all of the help I can...
                        What it is???

Comment

Can someone help me???

Can somebody please help me? I quit daning about 7 years ago and I want to start back traditional dancing. What the problem is , is that I don't know all of the accessories that are used for a cloth regalia. So I trying to get all of the help I can...
                          What it is???

Comment

Depends on if you will be dancing Southern or Northern Style. Many things are similar; like breast-plate, a bag, a fan. But the styles are generally different; for example, I use a large rectangular flat style bag, I noticed in the south the bags are definately different, and smaller I wear a basket hat and otter hair ties. Southern gals usually wear crowns, but we both wear hair-ties. There are some excellent threads you could like up on this subject; go to the buckskin forum, I use all my accessories for traditional buckskin and northern cloth dancing.

Comment

Our type of dancing style is Northern. I was trying to come up with a theme for my regalia and I have come up with a flower, a turtle, a butterfly, and a medicine wheel. Which one would be the best to do?and what would be the best colors for it?
                              What it is???

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X